Metanium MGL JDM worm gear tolerances?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Metanium MGL JDM worm gear tolerances?

Post by antoniolopez944 » Tue May 04, 2021 12:36 pm

Hey guys I am in a little bit of a bind lol. My metanium mgl left was making a squeaky noise and I realized that the worm gear shifts a little bit. It moves left like 2 mm. On a right handed reel it would be to the right lol. It doesn't sound like a lot but my other shimano reels have no movement. So I ordered all the parts for a new worm gear and line pawl with all the spacers and little pieces. When I put it together I was shocked to see there was still that movement because I built it based off the schematic. Then I wondered if its suppose to do that. It looks like ()@=======II|c so plastic gear then bushing worm gear 2 spacers a bigger spacer then a c clip this is the way it is shown on the schematic and causes movement
when I adjust it to ()@=======|IIIc the plastic gear bushing and worm gear don't move but I move the big spacer first followed by 3 spacers instead of 2 then the C clip it doesn't move side to side and feels good. Problem is I feel like it goes a little more to the right when reeling in ( the line pawl) and goes a little bit less to the left. Idk if this is normal, pretty sure I put it back together right. It would be cool if one of you could possibly look at the mgl and try to move the worm gear side to side to see if it has the same movement. Hopefully I explained it with out sounding dumb lol. If it makes a difference its the JDM model

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Metanium MGL JDM worm gear tolerances?

Post by Slazmo » Tue May 04, 2021 1:36 pm

They all move a little, they can be shimmed like you've done but I personally like to use a thinner shim (on the circlip non drive side) and cup it so it acts like a cup washer of sorts and allows a movement when needed, under the drive side you can get really fine plastic washers to suit to centre the shaft.

But the left to right movements can be exaggerated even more with the level wind itself and its internal pawl on the worm shaft - your never going to get rid of it all to be honest, if you did something with it too tight, it would bind up and swallow it's tongue real quick..