I need help with choosing a Shimano handle

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Big-Donkey
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

I need help with choosing a Shimano handle

Post by Big-Donkey » Fri May 28, 2021 1:36 pm

in years past I remember seeing a few quality carbon bent handles. Now there's too many brands and I'm not sure what is actualy a quality part. I'm looking for a handle to replace my stock JDM Metanium handle. Something around 90-95mm. I had heard some of the stock handles look pretty good as well. The Bantam handle comes to mind. If anyone has some suggestions with a little experience, possibly some pictures to go along with it, I would be grateful. Thanks a million, G

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: I need help with choosing a Shimano handle

Post by CFDoc » Fri May 28, 2021 6:14 pm

So I’ve gone deep down the Shimano/Daiwa handle hole as I pretty much hate the stock handles.

I have several JDM Mets too and this is what I’ve done/tried. I can post pics later if you want.

Option #1: Order the USDM model handle from the XG Met. I believe it’s 90mm and has larger handle knobs. Looks decent but it’s not swept carbon fiber.

Option #2: Order the USDM Curado K XG handle. It’s 95mm, large handle knobs but also aluminum. Looks great though IMO. This is what most of my JDM Mets have.

Option #3: Order the Hawgtech 100 mm carbon fiber handle. Fits directly but costs like $100 or more.

Option #4: Order the Lews 95mm carbon fiber handle and a ‘spacer’ to convert the handle gap so it will fit the smaller shimano size. Total cost is around $50. I have done this and like it very much. I can post pics of this option.

Option #4: Search eBay for some Chinese CF handles. They work well enough but usually have plastic bearing on the shafts, cheap knobs, and overall not sturdy.

Hope this helps.

Big-Donkey
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Big-Donkey » Sat May 29, 2021 6:56 pm

Would you mind posting pics of the USDM Met. Handle and the USDM Curado K XG handle? Do you notice the difference in the 5mm? After reading about what you have done, Im skipping the carbon fiber look. I will probably look for some anodized spool tension knobs and star drags. lol

This one looks good.
Attachments
handle.jpg
handle.jpg (23.99 KiB) Viewed 3851 times

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:42 pm

I finally got some time to take some pics. So here goes.

First up, general differences between the Curado K XG and USDM Metanium XG handles. For this first picture, the USDM Metanium XG is the top handle, the Curado K XG is the bottom handle. You will notice that the knobs are exactly the same, but there are very minute differences in the design and color scheme of the two handles.

The length difference is also very small, but it is there. Here is a closeup of the length difference between the two handles. The Curado K XG handle is slightly longer.

Here is a picture of the Curado K XG handle installed on the Metanium.

And here is how the two paint schemes compare to the Metanium sideplate coloring. The Metanium XG handle is on the left, Curado K XG on the right. IMO the Curado K XG handle paint matches the frame better than the Metanium handle...

I prefer the Curado XG handle both in looks and size. Albeit they are minor differences. Oddly enough, the Metanium XG handle looks the best on the 21 Zillion from Daiwa IMO. But I'll leave that for another thread.

And finally, for all you Lews haterz, consider this your TRIGGER WARNING!! Below are pictures that contain Lews products installed on a Shimano reel. You have been warned.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:18 am

Forgot to add. The Curado K XG handle comes with black end caps. They are the exact same design/size of the Metanium handle, just painted black. They actually look really good on the Met. However, I did order the silver end knobs from Shimano. They are very cheap.

jprice92
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jprice92 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:36 pm

Big-Donkey wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:36 pm
in years past I remember seeing a few quality carbon bent handles. Now there's too many brands and I'm not sure what is actualy a quality part. I'm looking for a handle to replace my stock JDM Metanium handle. Something around 90-95mm. I had heard some of the stock handles look pretty good as well. The Bantam handle comes to mind. If anyone has some suggestions with a little experience, possibly some pictures to go along with it, I would be grateful. Thanks a million, G
I went with hawgtech on two of my jdm metaniums, I tried at first to use a shim adapter to put an rcs handle on but the drag star would have to be replaced too. The hawg handle is awesome though I got the 102mm swept.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:35 pm

If you want something a little more dark and matching than a silver, try the SLX handle, same as the Curado K and 90mm centre to centre.
IMG_20210604_153147.jpg
IMG_20210604_153147.jpg (47.12 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
IMG_20210604_153208.jpg
IMG_20210604_153208.jpg (32.4 KiB) Viewed 3667 times

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:40 am

Slazmo wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:35 pm
If you want something a little more dark and matching than a silver, try the SLX handle, same as the Curado K and 90mm centre to centre.

You may be implying this, but the Curado K XG handle is 95 mm.

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=12290

It looks like the USDM Metanium XG handle is 94 mm.

I think Shimano has a reel with a 96 mm length but can’t remember which one.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:00 pm

It's a AUDM HG K handle, same handle length as the SLX XT in 6.#:1 ratio. Some measure to the end of the handle plate, some to the centre of the handle knob shafts.

Personally a 100mm handle is where I'd like my reels to come with.

Big-Donkey
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Big-Donkey » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:16 pm

I really only want a 90mm handle. center of shaft to center of shaft. Could someone tell me which stock Shimano handle is the closest? That sounds like the best way to go. Thanks guys for the help. :big grin:

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:51 pm

I bought over 12 of the Gomexus A27 power handles in 100mm and they work great. Completely revitalized my Curado 50es that I've had sitting in a drawer. The larger 100mm handle really makes it so much easier to crank and it's so smooth now.