Steez CT SV strength

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
RayneStorm
Angler
Angler

Re: Steez CT SV strength

Post by RayneStorm » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:11 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:35 am

Fishing for large salmon in slow-flowing danish streams can test you reel. Maybe - just maybe - I would consider a Steez CT in some situations, eg far upstream.
Fishing for large salmon in fast-flowing norwegian rivers can demolish your reel. Fish and water ripping at your line can be brutal. There, I would not consider Steez CT - even Steez A HLC -.
Where I fish, it’s a long ways upstream from the lake. A lot of the water is only a couple feet deep.

Further down river in the frog water, I would use my heavy rod and reel. We get salmon over 30 pounds and when they first come into the River, I wouldn’t trust the Steez to handle them, or my steelhead rod for that matter.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:42 am

I like tws, but it's not big issue for me. It just adds something 2-5 % distance. Nothing more. And line is easier to push trough line guide in tws :)

Ct Alphas is old platform an it's Made in Japan. And Japan I like :)

Also there's moving line guide in ct Alphas when fish pulls line. I like to look it :-D Tws doesn't move when fish pulls line. But this is not big thing..
Last edited by jvelth74 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:34 am

MardukFIN wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:50 pm
I tried Steez CT with steelhead (seatrout) fishing. Line capasity is too low. With St. Croix 5SC90MHF you can easily cast all line out with 27g lure. I was using 0,17mm braid which is little bit too thin imo.
When I use ct sized reel for seatrout, I cast 15 g or lighter lures, and then in my opinion 0.14 mm Morethan is enough for this lightweight setup. Reel can take 135 m of that line, but I have spooled 115 m. Standard cast with 15 g lure in windy sea conditions are not long. So, I will be very happy if I never hook seatrout that empties my spool...Nowadays big seatrouts are extremely rare in Gulf of Finland. And fish must be big and strong and want to run to pull 50-100 m 10+ kg line out...And if fishing from boat, fish must do that before I can start to chase it by boat.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:42 pm

I use my Alphas CT for steelhead frequently, spooled with 20lb Power Pro and an 8lb Big Game leader, it works great. Most of the fish are from Huron and Erie, weighing 5 to 10lb with a few a little bigger. I typically throw #3 Mepps, 2/5 Little Cleo's, and 3/16 Hot n Tots. Nothing to really worry about, the Steez should work well.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:47 pm

RayneStorm wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:01 pm
MardukFIN wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:50 pm
I tried Steez CT with steelhead (seatrout) fishing. Line capasity is too low. With St. Croix 5SC90MHF you can easily cast all line out with 27g lure. I was using 0,17mm braid which is little bit too thin imo.
How many meters of .17 braid did you get on to the reel?

You are correct, I wouldn’t want to go that low in diameter.

I would be closer to 10-12 g on lure weight, though.
Can't tell exact. Maybe 60-70 meters. I think my lightest lure (spoon) I use is 20g.

RayneStorm
Angler
Angler

Post by RayneStorm » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:50 pm

tincanary wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:42 pm
I use my Alphas CT for steelhead frequently, spooled with 20lb Power Pro and an 8lb Big Game leader, it works great. Most of the fish are from Huron and Erie, weighing 5 to 10lb with a few a little bigger. I typically throw #3 Mepps, 2/5 Little Cleo's, and 3/16 Hot n Tots. Nothing to really worry about, the Steez should work well.
Perfect! Those baits are what I plan on throwing.