Steez CT SV strength

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez CT SV strength

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:20 am

RayneStorm wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:04 pm
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:56 am
Not sure how it would fair for such a large drag taking fish. It has the audible drag so you can hear the fish taking drag like a spinning reel. However I am not sure how much stopping power the reel has? I would look at doing a drag upgrade to Carbontex to see if that can add a few more lbs of drag and make it even smoother.

The Steez CT doesn’t hold a lot of line. Even if you drop down to 8-10 lb. You might wonder if you could or would get spooled?

The nice thing about the Steez CT in stock form is it casts well and is super smooth. Flushing the stock bearings will help as it did mine. The stock spool and bearing combo will allow you to cast down to 1/8 oz no problem on an appropriate rod.

They also have great resell value and are quite popular should you try it and it not work
The stopping power is something I’m interested in. I think stock, the drag is around 11? Which should be plenty for steelhead. I’m running a longer rod with limber tip and a solid butt. I’m usually at 1/4 to 1/2 cranked down on my drag currently with the curado dc.

I’m not against putting carbontex in it right away, and might just do that, now that you mention it.

Normally line capacity would be a concern, but I’m running braid, and the stream I fish has at most a 50 yard straightway before it curves. So if the fish ever gets past 50 yards, it’s lost anyways.
Sorry. I did not see your comment on “50 yards…”. Try it 😄

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:27 am

Yes, that's true. Salmon's are strong and those likes to pull a lot of line out.

Some says that Ambassadeur 6000 is only one correct reel for Salmon :) - because 7000 is such bad reel for casting.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:29 am

With regard to drag. I find that all the new reels I use from Daiwa/Shimano/ABU have great smooth drags. I am not much concerned about stated drag strength - rarely look at it - and chime in that Steez CT has drag that will work for you.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:33 am

For big pikes ct Alphas stopping power is more than enough. But naturally big pike is not same as big salmon. Or actually not even a close to that.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:35 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:27 am
Yes, that's true. Salmon's are strong and those likes to pull a lot of line out.

Some says that Ambassadeur 6000 is only one correct reel for Salmon :) - because 7000 is such bad reel for casting.
Fishing for large salmon in slow-flowing danish streams can test you reel. Maybe - just maybe - I would consider a Steez CT in some situations, eg far upstream.
Fishing for large salmon in fast-flowing norwegian rivers can demolish your reel. Fish and water ripping at your line can be brutal. There, I would not consider Steez CT - even Steez A HLC -.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:45 am

^Yes. And I think it's same for Finnish rivers, Kymi river, Kokemäki River, Tornio River and Teno. I personnally have fished salmon only at Kymi. I and pretty much everybody had Ambassadeur 6000's and 120 lbs TUFF lines.

Me neither would test ct sized reel on big rivers.

Of course there's (nowadays pretty much only theoretically) possibility catch a salmon on Vantaa River...

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:28 am

RayneStorm wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:36 am
I’m looking at building a rod for stream steelhead and have my eye on this reel. Mostly using small spinners, cranks, and light floats. The stream feeds Lake Michigan and is only 30 feet or so wide. Line capacity isn’t a concern for me. My concern is could this reel handle a salmon that hits, while I’m fishing for Steel? I might have to muscle the fish away from wood occasionally too.
Why it shouldn't work...
Strong enough braid to spool, and that should take line that amount you need....
(Actually it sound similar place than I fish in Vantaa River, but you probably has much more and better fish there.)

But for heavy use like this I would choose ct Alphas over ct Steez. In my opinion main differences between these are:
a) price
b) tws line guide in Steez
c) Steez is smaller, but Alphas is small anyway...
d) full brass gears in Alphas
e) Alphas is heavier, but its light anyway...

With a roque Salmon you probably must use all brake power you have, but that sounds exciting. Keep spare line with you :D

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:50 pm

I tried Steez CT with steelhead (seatrout) fishing. Line capasity is too low. With St. Croix 5SC90MHF you can easily cast all line out with 27g lure. I was using 0,17mm braid which is little bit too thin imo.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:00 pm

Why not just get the zillion1000? Drag clicker, strong, smooth, cheaper, better line capacity and a million different spools to choose from.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:11 pm

Alphas and steez ct have plenty capacity for bass, but I would not try it for steelhead. They are close quarter reels with fast spool startup for pin point target casting.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:37 pm

Caught this brown yesterday using a Steez CT. I had something on bigger than that. It ripped some line off the reel, and I tried thumbing the spool, but I lost it to a fallen tree on the side of the river. I didn't have my drag extra tight, since the jerkbaits I use have light wire hooks. I've brought steelhead and salmon in with it, but it wouldn't be my reel of choice for salmon.

The conquest got the looks of a proper steelhead casting reel. Can't go wrong with either.

RayneStorm
Angler
Angler

Post by RayneStorm » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:43 pm

Schlag wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:37 pm
Caught this brown yesterday using a Steez CT. I had something on bigger than that. It ripped some line off the reel, and I tried thumbing the spool, but I lost it to a fallen tree on the side of the river. I didn't have my drag extra tight, since the jerkbaits I use have light wire hooks. I've brought steelhead and salmon in with it, but it wouldn't be my reel of choice for salmon.

The conquest got the looks of a proper steelhead casting reel. Can't go wrong with either.
Really nice Brown!

I have reels for salmon that I can use when that run starts. Curado 200 and Curado 150DC.

When the steelhead are in, the Salmon are pretty much Zombie fish anyways, so Salmon shouldn’t be to much of an issue.

RayneStorm
Angler
Angler

Post by RayneStorm » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:56 pm

rando wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:11 pm
Alphas and steez ct have plenty capacity for bass, but I would not try it for steelhead. They are close quarter reels with fast spool startup for pin point target casting.
That’s what I’m after, pin point accuracy with my plugs and spinners in close quarters. I’m making short casts near wood and under trees. Most of my casts will be 20-30 feet.

I’m building a lightweight setup for all day casting enjoyment. My rod should finish out built under 4 ounces. That’s another reason this Steez CT is interesting to me. Rod, line, and reel under 10 ounces for a steelhead rig.

RayneStorm
Angler
Angler

Post by RayneStorm » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:01 pm

MardukFIN wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:50 pm
I tried Steez CT with steelhead (seatrout) fishing. Line capasity is too low. With St. Croix 5SC90MHF you can easily cast all line out with 27g lure. I was using 0,17mm braid which is little bit too thin imo.
How many meters of .17 braid did you get on to the reel?

You are correct, I wouldn’t want to go that low in diameter.

I would be closer to 10-12 g on lure weight, though.

RayneStorm
Angler
Angler

Post by RayneStorm » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:05 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:28 am
I’m looking at building a rod for stream steelhead and have my eye on this reel. Mostly using small spinners, cranks, and light floats. The stream feeds Lake Michigan and is only 30 feet or so wide. Line capacity isn’t a concern for me. My concern is could this reel handle a salmon that hits, while I’m fishing for Steel? I might have to muscle the fish

Why it shouldn't work...
Strong enough braid to spool, and that should take line that amount you need....
(Actually it sound similar place than I fish in Vantaa River, but you probably has much more and better fish there.)

But for heavy use like this I would choose ct Alphas over ct Steez. In my opinion main differences between these are:
a) price
b) tws line guide in Steez
c) Steez is smaller, but Alphas is small anyway...
d) full brass gears in Alphas
e) Alphas is heavier, but its light anyway...

With a roque Salmon you probably must use all brake power you have, but that sounds exciting. Keep spare line with you :D
I have not used a Daiwa with the TWS line guide. Do you not like it for trout?

I’m checking into the Alpha now to compare.