Silly Frog reel question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Silly Frog reel question

Post by goldrod » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:58 pm

I have more stuff I am moving around
I wanted to know if ANYONE has used a OG Fuego as a frogging reel?
Sounds crazy but with the carbonex drag and Ize pe spool it seems feasible to me at least..

Let me know if you've tried
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Silly Frog reel question

Post by Bass Junkie » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:57 am

The reel would absolutely be capable, the biggest concern I would have is IPT. You’re a righty if I recall correctly, so you’ll be limited to the 6.3:1 gear ratio in the Fuego. I am currently using a thrashed LH Itö 103 for frogging with the same gear ratio and although it’s done well I do find myself constantly wishing for a bit more IPT. Otherwise the reel will do great, and should balance better with the longer/heavier rods often used for frogging. Also, if you have your heart set on the I’ze spool by all means go for it, but the TDZ 100M is a stellar performer in the Fuego, and perhaps a bit more versatile.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:29 am

HLC would be my spool of choice for frogs. Fill it of 50# braid and empty it every cast. Squint to see where you frog lands.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:25 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:29 am
HLC would be my spool of choice for frogs. Fill it of 50# braid and empty it every cast. Squint to see where you frog lands.
I had to laugh at this. I shipped my OG Tatula 7'4" HF to Florida for use as a dedicated frog rod. Took a Curado 201E7 down with me for use on it. 60# Fins Original PRT Hi-Vis Yellow. Squinting didn't help. :laugh1:

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:29 am

Anything can if you set your heart to it

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:39 am

eklikewhoa wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:29 am
Anything can if you set your heart to it
I understand
I just sold the rod it was on and looked to expand on the use for the reel.
For now it’s on the shelf as I’m finding stuff has accumulated on my shelf that someone else may actually have time to use. I have a Steez limited that I had on a compile x rod which I sent in and had the guides re wrapped and epoxied or whatever that stuff is called. Now I’m not sure I have a use anymore for that rod. I also had the Fuego on it but I didn’t like it
They are great independently just not good together for me. I was thinking about fixing up the alpha 105sh Sv but decided against it. I’m just in an experimental place mentally and wanted to know if anyone else has adopted the Fuego for that purpose. It’s an trap slinger or any walk the dog bait.
Maybe I’ll find a home for it.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:41 am

Bass Junkie wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:57 am
The reel would absolutely be capable, the biggest concern I would have is IPT. You’re a righty if I recall correctly, so you’ll be limited to the 6.3:1 gear ratio in the Fuego. I am currently using a thrashed LH Itö 103 for frogging with the same gear ratio and although it’s done well I do find myself constantly wishing for a bit more IPT. Otherwise the reel will do great, and should balance better with the longer/heavier rods often used for frogging. Also, if you have your heart set on the I’ze spool by all means go for it, but the TDZ 100M is a stellar performer in the Fuego, and perhaps a bit more versatile.
Yes Sir
Right hand reeler but left hand writer lol 😂
Thanks big homie