I've always loved a nice Cardinal 3

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

I've always loved a nice Cardinal 3

Post by tincanary » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:44 am

So I went ahead and bought myself one. I'm a gamblin' man when it comes to eBay, and the seller had some crappy photos, my favorite kind of seller. I ended up being the sole bidder and got a very clean example for a price even less than the more beat looking ones go for. Not leaving good enough alone, I got some beefier IOS Factory bail springs, an Avail shallow spool, and punched out some Carbontex washers to upgrade the drag a little. My plan is to build a spinning rod on a 4wt fiberglass blank and use it for bull gills that haunt Lake St Clair. I can't wait to get it on the water this weekend. The bull gills are running hard in St Clair right now and they've been hitting good on small spinners.

Before:

After:

casterus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: I've always loved a nice Cardinal 3

Post by casterus » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:26 am

=D> Classic.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:01 pm

Owned a bunch over the years. Typically they went on Slider rods and we took the bails off. Daysprout makes some beauties. Enjoy

https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/ ... ate/156296

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:19 am

well, you'll never need to upgrade now. AFAIC Zebco/abu cardinals 3 and 4 are the bee's knees. 6's maybe a bit heavy compared to some recent reels. but 3's and 4's hit the spot.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:52 am

nctrucker wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:19 am
well, you'll never need to upgrade now. AFAIC Zebco/abu cardinals 3 and 4 are the bee's knees. 6's maybe a bit heavy compared to some recent reels. but 3's and 4's hit the spot.
The 3 weighs in a 7.9oz on the spot and is similar in size physically to my Daiwa SS Tournament 700. The Avail spool makes it an outstanding caster due to the way the lip is angled instead of straight like the factory spool. My plan is to get a glass 4wt fly blank in 7' or 7'6" and and set it up with a Michigan handle, would be a great rod for flipping spinners and floating bait.

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

avail spool

Post by nctrucker » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:23 pm

that Avail spool is impressive!