2020 Metanium MGL equal

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 2020 Metanium MGL equal

Post by Freddie » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:25 pm

SSS wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:58 pm
What is this "met feels better because its all metal"? Zillion IS all metal (except the palming side plate, but this applies to all low profile reels). The frame, what matters most, is made out of metal on the zillion. The hood is made out of zion is not a negative. Not only does it excel in cold weather by not becoming an icicle, but its also lighter than metal. Not to mention that aluminum on the zillion is stronger than megnesium and the jdm Zillion is somehow even lighter than a full magnesium met2020. If you want your Zillion to cast as far or further than a met, you have literally over 20 years of 34mm diameter spools at your disposal to try. This reel has no disadvantages.
If I need one bass reel to do it all I’m going to grab my Zillion. No question. But that Core Solid body on the Met is🔥 and I’d love that on the Zillion.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:15 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:23 pm

The new Zillion utilizes a 34mm spool. There have been 34 mm spools around dating back to the early 2000s if not earlier. And to date there are over 30 compatible spools for the new Zillion.
I probably should have been more specific.

For the 20Met, there is an OEM BFS spool that is MGLIII.

I am unaware of an OEM BFS SV Boost spool for the new Zillion. My guess is any spool swap would lose some of the new technology you get in the new Zillion. I could be wrong though.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:44 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:15 pm
Fishing4Fun wrote:

The new Zillion utilizes a 34mm spool. There have been 34 mm spools around dating back to the early 2000s if not earlier. And to date there are over 30 compatible spools for the new Zillion.

I am unaware of an OEM BFS SV Boost spool for the new Zillion. My guess is any spool swap would lose some of the new technology you get in the new Zillion. I could be wrong though.
Fixed inductor is the best for bfs. SV boost is only gonna add some uneeded weight to the spool. You will indeed lose the SV Boost tech, but does it really matter? You're not casting further with an SV boost spool than an R+ turned spool and many many others. Control is the same as it is on all SV spools. Personally sold my two SV Boost spools in the first few weeks after getting them. Gimmick tech.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:55 am

SSS wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:44 pm
Fixed inductor is the best for bfs. SV boost is only gonna add some uneeded weight to the spool. You will indeed lose the SV Boost tech, but does it really matter? You're not casting further with an SV boost spool than an R+ turned spool and many many others. Control is the same as it is on all SV spools. Personally sold my two SV Boost spools in the first few weeks after getting them. Gimmick tech.
You mentioned a lot of different tech in there.

But for me, I do think the SV Boost does allow for more distance when compared to other SV spools. However, SV Boost compared to all of Daiwa's other braking systems is another story.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:33 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:55 am
SSS wrote:

But for me, I do think the SV Boost does allow for more distance when compared to other SV spools. However, SV Boost compared to all of Daiwa's other braking systems is another story.
I agree with that. I didn't exactly do any testing for the sv boost vs standard sv, but when i can feel the overbraking happening from the very beginning of the cast, i simply don't want to use a spool like that. Those fishing from a boat, it might not be important, but from the bank, it can make a massive difference.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:37 pm

SSS wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:33 pm
CFDoc wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:55 am
SSS wrote:

I agree with that. I didn't exactly do any testing for the sv boost vs standard sv, but when i can feel the overbraking happening from the very beginning of the cast, i simply don't want to use a spool like that. Those fishing from a boat, it might not be important, but from the bank, it can make a massive difference.
The Tatula Elite spool is one of the best 34 mm spools I have used recently. Might be worth getting one or a Fuego CT and spool from TTT. Got mine for $45 from there.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:53 pm

Does anyone have a link to Met 20 drag clicker upgrade? Think I saw it mentoned on here at some point.

Thanks.

Vabass
Angler
Angler

Post by Vabass » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:49 pm

karirick wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:53 pm
Does anyone have a link to Met 20 drag clicker upgrade? Think I saw it mentoned on here at some point.

Thanks.
https://fishshop.shimano.com/collections/metmgl151xgb

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:26 am

Thanks I should have said line out alarm/drag clicker?

Like the Zillion.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:31 am

Here’s my update. It’s some time later now, and after a complete reel swap I have now ended up with five Zillions, and three Metaniums. Both are great reels, I use my Zillions more for jig/worm/ and general bottom contact presentations, and use the Mets more for moving baits.
I’m not saying this is strict, but generally speaking. The Mets cast a little further, but are more finicky. But a Zillion on a GLX rod is my favorite combo of all time.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:48 pm

montey wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:31 am
Here’s my update. It’s some time later now, and after a complete reel swap I have now ended up with five Zillions, and three Metaniums. Both are great reels, I use my Zillions more for jig/worm/ and general bottom contact presentations, and use the Mets more for moving baits.
I’m not saying this is strict, but generally speaking. The Mets cast a little further, but are more finicky. But a Zillion on a GLX rod is my favorite combo of all time.
I would assume the next generation Metanium will have Infinity Drive, a clicking drag, and probably the 6 pin SVS braking system like the Bantam A does. The Zillion is really a perfect reel, especially for the price you can get them, just do not like the fragile paint or plastic cover over the T-wing.

bobmatsuoka
Angler
Angler

Post by bobmatsuoka » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:48 am

CFDoc wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:15 pm
Fishing4Fun wrote:

Avail has two spools for 20Met, 20MT24R and 20MT42R. They are far superior for light baits thans the MGL. I have the 2 Avail sizes, and the shallow one from Yumeya, as well as the medium that came with my JDM Mets. note: shimano has 3 sizes, deep, medium and shallow. Deep is the standard on USA Mets. Medium is the standard on JDM Mets. Shallow is on the Shallow edition Mets (that has duralumin gear). Next month I think, there will be a 23 deep JDM Met as well.