Calcutta Conquest 2021...vs...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Calcutta Conquest 2021...vs...

Post by jrk » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:53 am

Anyone had a chance to give this guy a go yet? I've got the 2020 100 DC and really like it, but want a new reel for my inshore trips. I'm not that experienced with servicing, and have had great experiences with Shimano over the years, so was thinking maybe a 2021 100 that they now sell in the states so I could send it in once a year.

I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has put a little time on either the 100 or 200 and could weigh in on distance. Possibly compared to the 2020 Metanium, etc. My son has the latter, and I'm pretty impressed with how easy and far it will throw ~1/2oz. If it can match this, or even better, I'm grabbing one.

thanks for the time...

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Calcutta Conquest 2021...vs...

Post by Cal » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:53 am

jrk wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:53 am
so was thinking maybe a 2021 100 that they now sell in the states so I could send it in once a year.
Be sure to check the specifications before ordering to make sure you're getting a 2021 Conquest. The model numbers between JDM and USDM reels are not quite the same. Having said that, the 2021 Conquest reels feature the MGL spool, which I believe is new for this platform and should speak to casting performance similar to other MGL reels like the 2020 Metanium you mentioned.

I have a 201HG on order with JapanTackle, but stock has been delayed just like everything else.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:49 pm

Thank you Cal. Eager to hear your thoughts once it arrives. The 2020 Conquest 100 DC I have is a casting machine, but I was pretty impressed with my son's new Metanium...no slouch. If I can get similar distance with the 2021 Conquest MGL sold here in the states, It'll be hard for me to pass.

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:54 pm

I’ve got the 300 and 400 conquest but my Ryoga feel
More powerful and are easier to retrieve with

Take a look at those if you want a round reel

I inshore fish with the new Zillions

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:48 am

Thank you bbates3.
I really don't need something as large as the 300 and up. 200's ideal...even 100's ok. Not married to the round category, however I do love the way they look.
How're those Zillions holding up? Beautiful reel from what I've seen.
I've been interested in the Daiwa stuff, and have a Coastal TW 200 that has been great...up until it wasn't. Only fished it on and off for about a year or two and it started screeching on the cast and locking up mid-cast. It's been sent to Daiwa so hopefully they can figure out and fix what's wrong, but I've not heard a thing from them yet...even that they got it.

My interest lies in distance more than smooth retrieve. In my area, this is key...spooky drum in shallow water. How's the new zillion on 1/2 oz and up for bombing?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:06 pm

jrk wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:48 am
Thank you bbates3.
I really don't need something as large as the 300 and up. 200's ideal...even 100's ok. Not married to the round category, however I do love the way they look.
I've been interested in the Daiwa stuff, and have a Coastal TW 200 that has been great...up until it wasn't. Only fished it on and off for about a year or two and it started screeching on the cast and locking up mid-cast. It's been sent to Daiwa so hopefully they can figure out and fix what's wrong, but I've not heard a thing from them yet...even that they got it.

My interest lies in distance more than smooth retrieve. In my area, this is key...spooky drum in shallow water. How's the new zillion on 1/2 oz and up for bombing?
I have the Conquest in both the DC and Non DC 100 size
you want regret it !
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:49 am

jrk wrote:
Thank you bbates3.

No I know you aren’t looking at 300/400 I was just referencing how I feel the Ryoga is smoother than a Calcutta

So far I’ve been thrilled with the zillion

Super smooth

Distance has been good for me

I haven’t tested against the Steez a yet
But I will

I’m testing 2 now same reel and rod

One has the boost spool and a zillion sv in the other

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:15 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:06 pm
jrk wrote:
Thank you bbates3.

you want regret it !

So, which would you give the edge on casting?
And...my 2020 100 DC from Japan...man that drag is so minimal and easy to start up...have to button it down on hooksets and still slips a bit. Is the 2021 non-DC similar, or is the drag a little more stout?
I'm beginning to wonder if there is a difference in drag pressure/inertia between Japan and US offerings...I hear there can be slight differences regarding other attributes, such as paint, coatings, etc. Which makes me wonder whether I should try the Japan 2021 CC 200 HG...as this might be better for my inshore purposes.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:50 pm

jrk wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:15 pm
goldrod wrote:
jrk wrote:
Thank you bbates3.

you want regret it !

And...my 2020 100 DC from Japan...man that drag is so minimal and easy to start up...have to button it down on hooksets and still slips a bit. Is the 2021 non-DC similar, or is the drag a little more stout?
I'm beginning to wonder if there is a difference in drag pressure/inertia between Japan and US offerings...I hear there can be slight differences regarding other attributes, such as paint, coatings, etc. Which makes me wonder whether I should try the Japan 2021 CC 200 HG...as this might be better for my inshore purposes.

In my humble opinion I would describe the drag in similar fashion but I think it’s more than adequate.
As crazy as it may sound I would give casting distance edge ( no matter how minute) to the non DC version. It has to be in my mind but I feel it’s the job of the Digital Control to prevent backlash. But I’ve never measured either. I am extremely happy with both and the advantage of the DC version to me is the ability to cast lures that have little to no wind resistance into a head wind with control and distance.

I didn’t have the previous version of the DC model so I can’t compare.
The previous Calcutta model is not as smooth and effortless to me as this particular model. I have all mine in the 6.8:1 gear ratio if that helps

Just today I took out the family bike for a ride and remember when you were a kid how you would let go of the handle bars and peddle ? I did that tonight
And man it was an awesome feeling
That’s the same feeling I get when I’m using the 2021 conquest DC model
While peddling I was thinking of what reel I would get right this moment and only two reels came to mind, that’s the new Antares or another conquest DC
I hope this helps in some way.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:34 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:50 pm
jrk wrote:
goldrod wrote:
jrk wrote:
Thank you bbates3.

you want regret it !

In my humble opinion I would describe the drag in similar fashion but I think it’s more than adequate.
As crazy as it may sound I would give casting distance edge ( no matter how minute) to the non DC version. It has to be in my mind but I feel it’s the job of the Digital Control to prevent backlash. But I’ve never measured either. I am extremely happy with both and the advantage of the DC version to me is the ability to cast lures that have little to no wind resistance into a head wind with control and distance.

The previous Calcutta model is not as smooth and effortless to me as this particular model. I have all mine in the 6.8:1 gear ratio if that helps

Just today I took out the family bike for a ride and remember when you were a kid how you would let go of the handle bars and peddle ? I did that tonight
While peddling I was thinking of what reel I would get right this moment and only two reels came to mind, that’s the new Antares or another conquest DC
Thanks man!
I suspect you mean the 2020 CC DC, as the 2021 CC is non-DC. Just making sure I have your comments accurate.
I'd love to try out the new Antares...was not a fan of the 2016, but models prior to '16 were great. Felt the '16 was over braked.
I'd have another 2020 DC for my inshore, which is what my reason for starting this thread was all about, but hate to think I run into problems and cannot address those issues without sending back to Japan. Thus the 2021 CC non-DC they now sell here in the States.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:38 am

jrk wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:34 am
goldrod wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:50 pm
jrk wrote:
goldrod wrote:
jrk wrote:
Thank you bbates3.

you want regret it !

Thanks man!
I suspect you mean the 2020 CC DC, as the 2021 CC is non-DC. Just making sure I have your comments accurate.
I'd love to try out the new Antares...was not a fan of the 2016, but models prior to '16 were great. Felt the '16 was over braked.
I'd have another 2020 DC for my inshore, which is what my reason for starting this thread was all about, but hate to think I run into problems and cannot address those issues without sending back to Japan. Thus the 2021 CC non-DC they now sell here in the States.

Yes you are correct!
sorry about that but the 2020 CCDC would be the reel I am referring to.
The CC NON DC model i have is the 100HG 6.8:1 which is not sold state side to my knowledge.