Remember the Curado MGL complaints

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Remember the Curado MGL complaints

Post by montey » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:14 pm

I was just cleaning a Curado 70 MGL and appreciating how nice it was. Then I remembered how so many people were complaining about how they looked when they came out. I always found it to be a great looking reel, not much different that the Curado K.
Not sure why so many people didn't like the looks of it.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Remember the Curado MGL complaints

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:06 pm

I actually thought it was one of Shimano's better looking reels myself. Take that with a grain of salt though, since I'm a Daiwa guy lol!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:42 am

I do not own a Curado MGL and I think they look great too. Was just asking someone yesterday the full differences of the MGL 70 and old 70. I think the newer Curado MGL and MGL 70 have 2 main shaft bearings, something the old "I" and 70 did not have...

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:35 am

In all fairness it should've been the current Curado K guise, than a reapropriated ageing chassis of the 70i.

I don't mind the feel and look of the 70i (my main BFS caster), as I've collected a whole bunch of 200i's and enjoying their capability for a range of lures with modified spool weights installed.

But it would've been nice to see some pics of the service you've done of its internals.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:30 am

Much prefer the look of the Scorpion 70 and Engetsu. Looks better and matches the Zodias rods well.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:17 pm

It looks killer on a GLX: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifph2h9t8pmmc ... 2.png?dl=0

Harder to make work on other rods; the complementary color of green is red, and every time I put one on a red rod it feels like xmas. It kinda works when spoiled with green braid, on a black/chrome rod.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:36 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:17 pm
It looks killer on a GLX: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifph2h9t8pmmc ... 2.png?dl=0

Harder to make work on other rods; the complementary color of green is red, and every time I put one on a red rod it feels like xmas. It kinda works when spoiled with green braid, on a black/chrome rod.
That does look good.

But a Metanium 21 looks best on the GLX IMO.

Sorry for being off topic...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:43 am

The GLX isn't particularly striking or interesting looking. Just about any reel looks "good" on one. I guess the tiny bit of blue on the rod could be coordinated in some way but there is 99% chance that the if you buy a GLX then you probably dont care.
Attachments
s-l640.jpg
s-l640.jpg (21.98 KiB) Viewed 2052 times

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:54 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:43 am
The GLX isn't particularly striking or interesting looking. Just about any reel looks "good" on one. I guess the tiny bit of blue on the rod could be coordinated in some way but there is 99% chance that the if you buy a GLX then you probably dont care.
I didn't mean to say that it's hard to find a good-looking reel for the GLX. I'm saying that a greenish rod like the GLX is a good match for the green-accent Curados - while many other rods with blue or red accepts are harder to coordinate. I guess an IMX or maybe a Legend X might work as well.