bfs reel recommendations

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Jgill0056
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

bfs reel recommendations

Post by Jgill0056 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:43 am

I've searched this forum along with a few others in regards to bfs reels and this group seems to have the most info on them. I'm trying to decide on a second bfs reel. I have an UL fiberglass 6' and a 7' ml graphite that need reels. One reel I have on the way, after reading this forum, is a 12 aldebaran bfs xg. On the 2nd reel I'm thinking a pixie or an alphas air stream custom. Any recommendations between the two or any others you'd recommend?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: bfs reel recommendations

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:07 pm

First off, welcome to the forum. A little more info on how you fish would be helpful. What lure weights will you use with the second reel? Will you be making short casts in tight cover like small creeks?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jgill0056
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jgill0056 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:28 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:07 pm
First off, welcome to the forum. A little more info on how you fish would be helpful. What lure weights will you use with the second reel? Will you be making short casts in tight cover like small creeks?
Thank you very much. I plan on fishing trout streams and small bass ponds with both of them. I will mainly be throwing 1/8oz blue fox, 1/8oz rooster tails, or rapala minnows. Most will be short casts under cover in creeks for trout but there will be a few wide open ponds for bass.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:55 pm

Jgill0056 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:28 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:07 pm
Thank you very much. I plan on fishing trout streams and small bass ponds with both of them. I will mainly be throwing 1/8oz blue fox, 1/8oz rooster tails, or rapala minnows. Most will be short casts under cover in creeks for trout but there will be a few wide open ponds for bass.
Understood. I think the Alphas Air TW would be an excellent reel for you. The only drawback is that it does have very limited line capacity if you are going with flouro or mono. There is a deeper spool available for it from Aliexpress. That spool is still really light, just a hair deeper.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:21 pm

Alphas AIR TW is very nice out of the box, and good bang for your buck. My choice for out of the box BFS goodness. The Pixy was top dog way back. Nowadays, BFS reels are super nice out of the box. Modding isn't needed but,is fun and can squeeze a little more performance from the reel. If using 4-6lb, you should be good on capacity.

The Curado BFS is an awesome choice for the USA and is under 200 dollars. Very good reel.

1/8oz is very manageable with most BFS reels. Micro bearings like from Roro help too.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Jgill0056
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jgill0056 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:26 am

Thanks everyone. I'll look into the air tw instead. Is the aliexpress spool similar to the roro spool? I saw hobie-wan kenobi post a good review on the roro spool.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:53 am

Jgill0056 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:26 am
Thanks everyone. I'll look into the air tw instead. Is the aliexpress spool similar to the roro spool? I saw hobie-wan kenobi post a good review on the roro spool.
The Roro spool is the truth. It is great stock spool, don't get me wrong. I did well casting a Rapala CD01 in streams and also jigs for panfish.

The Roro spool I have is the AX24 with Standard Brake. It is a fast spool but, still controlled. I think the stock spool does better in open water. For stream casting, the Roro is great. Still does well open water but, stock is more tame for distance.

There is the Thicken brake model of Roro that is better for newer BFS anglers, bass lures (weightless worms, Ned rigs and such) and also for open water than the Standard Brake model.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:19 am

You can always look to upgrade a current reel also. Some of the BFS spools you buy on Aliexpress xan make a regular casting reel BFS capable. 1/8 would definitely be manageable on those spools, and that way you could have a deeper backup too.

ra2bach
Angler
Angler

Post by ra2bach » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:17 pm

I'm not the original poster but would there be an Ali Express spool for an OG Curado70 and would it be worth it to try?..

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:14 pm

ra2bach wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:17 pm
I'm not the original poster but would there be an Ali Express spool for an OG Curado70 and would it be worth it to try?..
Don't see why not. Those spools can be hit or miss though. Not the best QC