I'm confused. Daiwa BG reel. Plz help

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
steeltownhammer
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

I'm confused. Daiwa BG reel. Plz help

Post by steeltownhammer » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:54 pm

I just bought a BG 4000 spinning reel. Help

It say's my reel is both left and right handed. Everywhere I read also say's the same thing.
My question is I want to use it left handed, but the reel on that side has a Screw imbedded inside that just looks like its used to prevent over tightening and a plastic threaded ring that the handle screws into. It does not feel anywhere as secure as screwing it into the right side.. The right side has a big screw and a outer metal ring and is deep. Takes way more Turns on handle to fully tighten (left vs right). So the right gets threaded into the metal screw and metal ring wall.
The left gets a shallow plastic area to screw in handle.

Would it be best to use this reel as Right handed. Just practice until comfortable because I really notice the difference between the strength and tightness... Thank you all.. I'm just confused as to why the two side are so different

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: I'm confused. Daiwa BG reel. Plz help

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:21 am

Did you switch over the reel handle seal with the handle? There may be one, little black o-ring deal that rests on the end of the frame handle protrusion. I just bought a BG MQ 3000 for tossing cranks for kings and that reel had one when I switched it over to the “right” [correct, ha] side.