So what is the point of the Micro Module Gears outside of marketing?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

So what is the point of the Micro Module Gears outside of marketing?

Post by SSS » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:23 pm

When they were released, i believed in them (mainly because back then, to me, Daiwas didn't feel as glassy smooth when under load). Years later, i see no point in having these on a reel. Not only do the aluminum ones go buzzy super fast (my Met DC lasted from early April to mid June fishing for smallies only), but now i hear that even the brass ones do the same. And now that Daiwa has glassy smooth gearing in their CT line, the steez tw ltd, the zillion1000, etc without going buzzy even under heavy use, what is the point of the micro module gearing? Literally no advantages.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: So what is the point of the Micro Module Gears outside of marketing?

Post by CFDoc » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:40 pm

In theory, this: https://www.geartechnology.com/articles ... ar_Design/

High overlap ratio and small module gears are, in theory, good designs for reducing noise, increasing smoothness, etc.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:06 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:40 pm
In theory, this: https://www.geartechnology.com/articles ... ar_Design/

High overlap ratio and small module gears are, in theory, good designs for reducing noise, increasing smoothness, etc.
This is for aerospace where it might matter because of the speeds these gears might be rotating at. Inside a reel, the smoothness on a zillion1000 is at least as silent and at least as smooth under load.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:56 pm

SSS wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:06 pm
This is for aerospace where it might matter because of the speeds these gears might be rotating at. Inside a reel, the smoothness on a zillion1000 is at least as silent and at least as smooth under load.
Like I said. In "theory".

The application of the theory in general bass fishing equipment could be such that the theory is diminished to nothing more than a sales pitch.

Happens all the time in products everywhere.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:19 am

Following...

But seriously, would love to see the old corse cut HEG gears of old. Especially these reels with the graphite side plate, but even those with full metal gear boxes aren't infallible.
Attachments
IMG_20210717_191232.jpg
IMG_20210717_191232.jpg (18.42 KiB) Viewed 3811 times

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:36 am

I agree regarding the old HEG gearing; The Curado 200E and achronarch 200D reels were smooth and long-term durable. Ironically enough, one of the smoothest reels I ever owned was a Zillion PA. Those 4.9 gear teeth were very coarse/large, but that reel was mind-blowing smooth, smoother than anything I've ever used, aside from the Steez CT.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:20 pm

I think it probably all comes down to manufacturing tolerances. Keeping machines working to finer tolerances takes time and monitoring. With computer controlled manufacturing, they probably use tolerances that are functional, but allow faster production. Plus, with the never ending search for cheaper, the materials used probably contribute to the gear noise and feel. I still have 20 year old reels with only six bearings, but with brass gears, and they are still smooth.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:51 pm

SSS wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:06 pm

This is for aerospace where it might matter because of the speeds these gears might be rotating at.
You could argue in a set environment where they're working in a programmed movement eg: forward in a bath of oil only etc they'd be fine like portal axle hub gears, but in a reel where there is winding, random shock, a drag clutch form in it putting reverse stress on the gears and disengagement and re-engagement under shock etc they're not superior to the old tried and tested gears of old.

Also if anyone notices that the base material behind the gears itself on these new gears has become very thin - there could be warping of the main gear too. But I've got no way to measure it on my gears let alone on others, and others there are - heaps on IG.

I've spoken to a few people now and seems to be a lot of movement away from it to other brands for it. Nobody wants to keep changing gear sets every 6 months or less - it's a big expense if you can't do it yourself.

Christ I've even tried using Calcium Sulphonate grease on them to get better results, seems once they've gone buzzy / gritty they seem never to return.
Last edited by Slazmo on Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:49 pm

I purchased 4 Micro Module Gear reels and all of them let me down, I bought nothing but Shimano for well over twenty years but all of those reels gears became geary VERY quickly, I have not bought another Shimano, I have purchased a truck load of Diawa's since though! If nothing else Shimano encouraged me to try the competition and that was a mistake.

Kurt

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:09 pm

Kurt L wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:49 pm
I purchased 4 Micro Module Gear reels and all of them let me down, I bought nothing but Shimano for well over twenty years but all of those reels gears became geary VERY quickly, I have not bought another Shimano, I have purchased a truck load of Diawa's since though! If nothing else Shimano encouraged me to try the competition and that was a mistake.

Kurt
Ouch. I wonder how many people are in the same situation you are in.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:55 am

SSS wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:09 pm
Ouch. I wonder how many people are in the same situation you are in.
I'm in the same spot as Kurt, I loved swapping around with Daiwa and Shimano and playing with all they had to offer. Back with the e series and older shimano reels I never had a single issue with gears. Now with the latest iteration of gears it's not if but when they will start feeling buzzy. I've never really looked at shimano with the same eye since.

Everything from the I and K series curados, curado 70s as well as the JDM scorpion models, metanium and the metanium b, chronarch MGL, have all gone buzzy on my very quickly. The few that did not go buzzy on me were the and the engetsu, bantam and the new conquest but those had little to no use on them when they were sold.

Best reliability (most amount of fish and staying smooth) I've had from recent Shimanos came out of the aluminum 7.4 aldebaran mgl gears. The heaviest line I use is 12-14lb mono so my drags aren't locked down either so I'm not sure what's causing them to wear so fast?