Steez A TW HCL vs Morethan PE 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Steez A TW HCL vs Morethan PE 1000

Post by Freddie » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:34 pm

Which is the better long distance bomber of 14-28 gram weights and why? What really are the differences between these two?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez A TW HCL vs Morethan PE 1000

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:03 am

I have both but haven't run any A/B tests. Just from having used both, I doubt that the morethan could sling baits as far as the HLC. That's inherent in the design, to repeat a quote from a Japanese webpage I found a bit ago: "Daiwa HLC reels have 4 times stronger brake springs holding brake rotors, meaning allowing twice the spool speed than regular models. Due to the extreme tune, this reel specifically suites well to heavy, simple rigs like Carolina rigs, but will cause a lot of backlash with crank baits, minnows and spinner baits."

If you read http://tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... c&start=15 you'll see some comparisons and how much people like the HLC. It's a bit of an acquired taste because it's finnicky (reportedly more finnicky than the Zillion HLC).

I was launching 3/4oz tubes on it with 30lbs braid earlier this year. Megabass Kanatas were flying a looong way, as well. I think I screwed myself a bit on distance by going to 40lbs braid to prevent breakoffs, gonna go back to 30 or even 20 and only throw cheap lures.

Get the morethan if you're looking for a general purpose reel that casts far. Get the HLC if you expect to only do ultra-distance casting on it. It'll excel a that, but it's not good-natured enough for short-distance precision casting.