Daiwa New Lexa TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
RustyHook
Angler
Angler

Daiwa New Lexa TW

Post by RustyHook » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:22 am

Was looking at the new ICast review of the Daiwa 21 Lexa Tw 300/400. Basically it's a narrowed Lexa HD with the T-wing.

Am I incorrect but is it not an almost exact duplicate of the Tatula TW 300/400 JDM?

Same frame and side plate, UTG Drag, SS pinion bronze main gear set, clutch, spool and brake, line cap,etc

Only differences I have found is the Lexa TW has 8+1 bearings using 8 CRBB, The Tatual TW is 7+1 2 CRBB 5 BB 1RB. They both have dual support pinion bearings. Not sure where that extra bearing is used? The Lexa comes with a NON-counter weight power handle. Tatula double handle.

One I am not sure of is the Hyper Drive cut gear. Tatula has it clearly listed but Lexa does not list it but they do not list the other "Hyper" tech that it has which both have. Hyper Pinion support dual bearings Hyper Clutch Hyper Frame side plate etc. I hate stupid marketing names. Then again the Prorex TW looks to have the same but it clearly shows only Digi gears not Hyper Drive and it uses the same SS pinion/bronze main set. So I guess it's very possible the Tatula is the only one with the Hyper gear.

But for the extra bearing and the 5 others being sealed it's $80-$100 price increase.

The Prorex TW seems to be very close as well in the US market but targeting the muskie pike crowd. It has purple hardware

Also any idea where Daiwa added the extra bearing on the Lexa TW. I searched but it does not seem the schematics parts diagrams for either reel are listed. At least I could not find it? Maybe on the level wind? Wonder if a bushing is used and was swapped out.

Only other thing is you can get the Lexa in 5.3:1 but not the Tatula.

Any of them will work well for big bait lures in a more compact package vs the past Lexas. The Prorex looks good with the purple accents.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa New Lexa TW

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:28 pm

Normally non free floating spool Daiwa reels have:
2 main shaft bearings
2 spool bearings
1 pinion bearing
And 1 Anti Reverse bearing

The areas where models differ are:
1 or 2 per knob (2 minimum, 4 maximum bearings)
1 or 2 on the levelwind

So I would assume the difference lies in the latter, less important bearing location(s).

I do not know for absolute sure if they cannot add a pinion bearing in this design. Shimano uses 2 pinion bearings with a full shaft spool, so I assume it might be possible on the Lexa or Prorex?