Zillion SV TW Problem... Solved???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion SV TW Problem... Solved???

Post by LowRange » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:17 am

Last mystery tick on a Ryoga was the plastic pin piece that connects to the spool tension knob. Pinion shaft or some such thing. Not a part I mess with other than needing a longer one for my Monoblock so I can use 103 spools. Which one do I need again?
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=78039&start=30

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:09 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:32 am
Did yours ever get better???
Yes, when I sold it.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:27 pm

y2k88 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:09 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:32 am
Did yours ever get better???
Yes, when I sold it.
That caught me off guard, pretty funny stuff there. Sent the Steez A today, not sure what can be done, I could not personally find anything wrong other than the tick.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:04 am

y2k88 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:26 pm
I don't have a solution, but just to say I had a random tick in the newest Morethan as well.
Sometimes there's a tick in the retrieve, sometimes not.
Disengage/engage a few times, and it would either disappear/reappear.
Yup exactly what i have.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:50 am

SSS wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:04 am
y2k88 wrote:
I don't have a solution, but just to say I had a random tick in the newest Morethan as well.
Yup exactly what i have.
Yours is an Alphas right? I wondered if I caused the pinion/spool pin connection to get loose from pulling the rod up (moving the spool) then engaging the handle. I noticed myself doing this today bad after short roll casts and pitches, to clear any loose loops of line. Going to stop doing this because it is bad for the reel either way, but I don't think this is the issue with my Steez A. This all being said, if anyone on here wants it for a fair deal, make me an offer, if TT cannot fix it, it is gone for an Alphas SV TW XH, Metanium 2020, or another new Zillion.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:14 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:50 am
SSS wrote:
y2k88 wrote:
Yup exactly what i have.
Yours is an Alphas right? I wondered if I caused the pinion/spool pin connection to get loose from pulling the rod up (moving the spool) then engaging the handle. I noticed myself doing this today bad after short roll casts and pitches, to clear any loose loops of line. Going to stop doing this because it is bad for the reel either way, but I don't think this is the issue with my Steez A. This all being said, if anyone on here wants it for a fair deal, make me an offer, if TT cannot fix it, it is gone for an Alphas SV TW XH, Metanium 2020, or another new Zillion.
I have it on an alphas r edition and the steez sv tw. The exact same thing happens, and even after replacing the main gear and the pinion gear to a brand new set, nothing has changed. I just don't get it.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:16 pm

Let's just say I didnt have the time or patience to keep replacing parts to find the culprit. :lol:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:53 am

SSS wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:14 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
SSS wrote:
y2k88 wrote:
Yup exactly what i have.
I have it on an alphas r edition and the steez sv tw. The exact same thing happens, and even after replacing the main gear and the pinion gear to a brand new set, nothing has changed. I just don't get it.
This makes me still think it might be the levelwind. It just doesn't make sense to me. I had checked every logical step and they were all fine. The reel cranks BUTTER smooth in hand. The second you start casting and retrieving the click starts. Sometimes engaging and disengaging helps, other times it makes it happen or does nothing at all. Just nervously waking for TT to call and see what they think... what is a fair price to sell an A? Right hand XH model...

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:29 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:53 am
SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
SSS wrote:
y2k88 wrote:
Yup exactly what i have.
This makes me still think it might be the levelwind. It just doesn't make sense to me. I had checked every logical step and they were all fine. The reel cranks BUTTER smooth in hand. The second you start casting and retrieving the click starts. Sometimes engaging and disengaging helps, other times it makes it happen or does nothing at all. Just nervously waking for TT to call and see what they think... what is a fair price to sell an A? Right hand XH model...
On my side, it is not the level wind. Not on the Steez that is. I have completely removed it and turned the handle while applying slight pressure on the spool , and i still had the exact same tick.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:12 am

SSS wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:29 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
SSS wrote:
Yup exactly what i have.
On my side, it is not the level wind. Not on the Steez that is. I have completely removed it and turned the handle while applying slight pressure on the spool , and i still had the exact same tick.
Did you take the Twing off or the entire worm? Also I wondered about the plastic gears behind the main gear, the ones that move the levelwind. When turning those by hand with the reel disassembled, they did seem to occasionally bind and catch. My other reels did not do this. That leads me to think maybe those gears led to the issue? I just really don't want to sell this reel but do not think I can stand the tick even though it is minor.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:50 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:12 am
SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Did you take the Twing off or the entire worm? Also I wondered about the plastic gears behind the main gear, the ones that move the levelwind. When turning those by hand with the reel disassembled, they did seem to occasionally bind and catch. My other reels did not do this. That leads me to think maybe those gears led to the issue? I just really don't want to sell this reel but do not think I can stand the tick even though it is minor.
Correction. I removed the level wind and everything related to it on the alphas, not the steez.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:30 am

SSS wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:50 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
SSS wrote:
Correction. I removed the level wind and everything related to it on the alphas, not the steez.
Meant to ask, have you ever checked the pinion bearings? Some other posts across the internet and YouTube said that can cause similar issues. Reel fine without pressure, but start to click when retrieving a lure, engage and disengage can shake it normal for a second. Would also allow the reel to cast normal still.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:30 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:30 am
SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Meant to ask, have you ever checked the pinion bearings? Some other posts across the internet and YouTube said that can cause similar issues. Reel fine without pressure, but start to click when retrieving a lure, engage and disengage can shake it normal for a second. Would also allow the reel to cast normal still.
On the Alphas, i have removed all bearings and tested them all except the roller bearing. They were all good. I don't even know what it could be at this point. Its not like the internals of a baitcaster are complex or anything.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:38 am

SSS wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:30 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:30 am
SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
SSS wrote:
On the Alphas, i have removed all bearings and tested them all except the roller bearing. They were all good. I don't even know what it could be at this point. Its not like the internals of a baitcaster are complex or anything.
This is the same thing I thought. My father is an engineer, I am a bit of a black sheep in the family because I never finished college. He looked at it with me and was amazed I paid that much for a reel... He has the more "disposable" approach to rods and reels. Either way we could not find it. The clue is that mine only does it when casting line and reeling it in. I wondered about the anti reverse too though. Just really hoping they solve it. I meant to tell you all, Digitaka messaged me yesterday and offered to help. Said if I sent it back to them they would forward it to Daiwa. They have always been so good to me.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:17 am

SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
SSS wrote:
I just searched and read my schematic good... there is a part missing. Part 71 is a spacer that goes under the pawl. My reel did NOT have that. Wonder if it would help?