Zillion SV TW Problem... Solved???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Zillion SV TW Problem... Solved???

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:00 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:17 am
SSS wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:50 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:12 am
SSS wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:29 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:53 am

This makes me still think it might be the levelwind. It just doesn't make sense to me. I had checked every logical step and they were all fine. The reel cranks BUTTER smooth in hand. The second you start casting and retrieving the click starts. Sometimes engaging and disengaging helps, other times it makes it happen or does nothing at all. Just nervously waking for TT to call and see what they think... what is a fair price to sell an A? Right hand XH model...
On my side, it is not the level wind. Not on the Steez that is. I have completely removed it and turned the handle while applying slight pressure on the spool , and i still had the exact same tick.
Did you take the Twing off or the entire worm? Also I wondered about the plastic gears behind the main gear, the ones that move the levelwind. When turning those by hand with the reel disassembled, they did seem to occasionally bind and catch. My other reels did not do this. That leads me to think maybe those gears led to the issue? I just really don't want to sell this reel but do not think I can stand the tick even though it is minor.
Correction. I removed the level wind and everything related to it on the alphas, not the steez.
I just searched and read my schematic good... there is a part missing. Part 71 is a spacer that goes under the pawl. My reel did NOT have that. Wonder if it would help?
Check under the pawl cap. That spacer will sometimes stick inside there.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:08 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:17 am
SSS wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:50 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:12 am
SSS wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:29 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:53 am

This makes me still think it might be the levelwind. It just doesn't make sense to me. I had checked every logical step and they were all fine. The reel cranks BUTTER smooth in hand. The second you start casting and retrieving the click starts. Sometimes engaging and disengaging helps, other times it makes it happen or does nothing at all. Just nervously waking for TT to call and see what they think... what is a fair price to sell an A? Right hand XH model...
On my side, it is not the level wind. Not on the Steez that is. I have completely removed it and turned the handle while applying slight pressure on the spool , and i still had the exact same tick.
Did you take the Twing off or the entire worm? Also I wondered about the plastic gears behind the main gear, the ones that move the levelwind. When turning those by hand with the reel disassembled, they did seem to occasionally bind and catch. My other reels did not do this. That leads me to think maybe those gears led to the issue? I just really don't want to sell this reel but do not think I can stand the tick even though it is minor.
Correction. I removed the level wind and everything related to it on the alphas, not the steez.
I just searched and read my schematic good... there is a part missing. Part 71 is a spacer that goes under the pawl. My reel did NOT have that. Wonder if it would help?
Couldn't be the issue on mine since i have removed the whole worm gear, worm shaft, etc. But i will install more spacers or remove the one i have on my steez and see if it makes a difference.

edit: tried it on the steez, made no difference. Mine doesn't have a spacer under the pawl either. I don't have the receipt for the reel, but i wonder if Daiwa is able to do something, and not charge $100 plus.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:09 pm

Soon as Tackle Trap calls I will let you all know. This might just be one of life's mysteries for me. I will put it on eBay for high like most do and see what it goes for. They have Steez A reels listed with no handle and no spool for $400. What's with those prices???

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:52 am

How tight do you have your spool tension set? Does adjusting it make any difference?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:06 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:52 am
How tight do you have your spool tension set? Does adjusting it make any difference?
I have it set pretty much same as factory, barely stopping side to side play. Tightening it did nothing, extremely loose and sloppy changed nothing. Brian at TackleTrap has it broken down now. Scares me because I could only get the issue to occur on the water. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas over this mystery. So happy a place like TackleTrap helped me and I've got confidence they will help. I did call to leave them a note, a similar issue was solved by Brian exhibited from a new Ryoga. Was an old thread on here I dug up and it ended up being the plastic rod that goes through the tension knob/pinion/zero adjuster, was warped and had a factory defect.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:13 pm

Now that i think of it, maybe it has something to do with the white I shapped plastic part that holds the pinion gear? I did not check it on both of my reels, and if the tick goes away from reengaging the thumb bar a few times, it might be related to this piece.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:25 am

SSS wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:13 pm
Now that i think of it, maybe it has something to do with the white I shapped plastic part that holds the pinion gear? I did not check it on both of my reels, and if the tick goes away from reengaging the thumb bar a few times, it might be related to this piece.
That is possible too. I bet Brian can figure it out. The reel is perfectly smooth off a rod, if you put tension on the spool with your finger it MAYBE can be detected, the problem really only shows when casting line and retrieving. Sometimes engaging and disengaging stops it, other times it does nothing, other times in STARTS the ticking. I am sure this talk has gotten stale, but I'm on an absolute mission to fix this reel, driving me insane. Considered sending to back to Digitaka, they offered to send it to Daiwa headquarters for help.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:24 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:25 am
SSS wrote:
That is possible too. I bet Brian can figure it out. The reel is perfectly smooth off a rod, if you put tension on the spool with your finger it MAYBE can be detected, the problem really only shows when casting line and retrieving. Sometimes engaging and disengaging stops it, other times it does nothing, other times in STARTS the ticking. I am sure this talk has gotten stale, but I'm on an absolute mission to fix this reel, driving me insane. Considered sending to back to Digitaka, they offered to send it to Daiwa headquarters for help.
lol its not getting stale cuz i need to fix two of mines as well :crying:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:14 pm

SSS wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:24 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
SSS wrote:
I have talked and explained everything I tried, what is your full diagnosis description and everything you have attempted to fix it??? I mean there has to be something

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:26 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:14 pm
SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
SSS wrote:
I have talked and explained everything I tried, what is your full diagnosis description and everything you have attempted to fix it??? I mean there has to be something
As i have mentioned, i don't think its related to anything to the line guide assembly (worm gear, worm shaft, etc). Its not the spool nor the spool pin. Its not any of the bearings inside the frame (tested them all and even cleaned/relubed some with grease). Inspected the cast control shaft (or whatever its called), and there's no deformations or anything of the sort, so i doubt its that. Both, pinion and main gear don't look like they have any dings, etc, and if they did, i think that you'd feel the tick on every retrieve, which is not the case. Because re-engaging the clutch can remove the tick, i think its related to the pinion portion of the reel, but not necessary an issue with the pinion gear itself. The plastic part that holds the pinion gear is a part i'd like to check on mine. Then i was thinking that the two springs that hold the same plastic part aren't applying enough pressure to hold it in place. The third and last thing i was thinking is some play of the spool bearing inside the frame, which would explain the tick going away on clutch re-engagement.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:58 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:14 pm
SSS wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
SSS wrote:
Could be a possibility. I have 10 or eleven Daiwa baitcasters, and only the Steez A (my least fished reel) does this. It could be due to a small frame intolerance, as you mentioned, letting a bearing wobble a bit and produce the tick. I did check this on mine, and during checking I symmetrically broke down a Zillion SV TW and checked it's tolerances/movements. The Steez A was actually TIGHTER in all places other than the palm side levelwind bearing area. Where the levelwind bearing/bushing rests in the frame was fairly loose and moving about 1/2 to 5/8 of a millimeter while the Zillion SV TW levelwind MAYBE moved 1/16 to a max of 1/10 of a millimeter when wobbling it with your thumb. Any day I figure Tackle Trap will call, I am just nervously waiting and hoping they find the issue. If not, I am going to try and sell on eBay, grab a new Alphas SV TW in it's place, and maybe even try a Metanium MGL. Gave us a $500 Vaccination bonus at the nursing home.

LMSMBassaddict
Angler
Angler

Post by LMSMBassaddict » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:59 am

"This has me furious that the new Zillion, not to mention all THREE previous generations along with my SS/SV and Tatula Type R are all smoother than my Steez A."

The tatula type rs are in my opinion some of daiwas best work for a general reel. I find myself using the daiwa ctr more than my curado or metaniums or my zillions. It just works. Casting distance is freaking golden but the real ticket is the casting distance +accuracy I get using the ctr.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:52 am

LMSMBassaddict wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:59 am
"This has me furious that the new Zillion, not to mention all THREE previous generations along with my SS/SV and Tatula Type R are all smoother than my Steez A."

The tatula type rs are in my opinion some of daiwas best work for a general reel. I find myself using the daiwa ctr more than my curado or metaniums or my zillions. It just works. Casting distance is freaking golden but the real ticket is the casting distance +accuracy I get using the ctr.
Fair enough, I have a video on my phone of my old Tatula R free spinning for like 19 seconds. All I did was a full disassemble and clean bearings with acetone. Sucker will still hum any lure over 3/8oz.
Back to the original topic, still waiting on TackleTrap for the Steez A, I'm scared they haven't been able to replicate the issue (ticking) because it quit on me temporarily once too.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:21 am

Free spin is meaningless. All my Tatulas free spin longer than my other Daiwas but are by the far the most unrefined, noisy and gearing feeling of them all. My Fuego CT ticks like the line is slapping the frame every time I reel. Ticks and pops like that are certainly bearing related. Both my Type R 8:1 and CT SV 8:1 buzz audibly. Workhorses but far from nice reels.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:59 am

Still no word yet, I know TT gets tons of repair work, I am patiently waiting and just happy they are trying. Hoping to hear something next week. Sneaking suspicion it may just be a lemon. Really want to know what is gonna happen, if I can sell it online I will either grab another Zillion G, Metanium MGL, or new Alphas SV TW.