Zillion SV TW Problem... Solved???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Zillion SV TW Problem... Solved???

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:16 am

I recently broke down my old SV TW for a good cleansing. Caught a PB Walleye of 31.5" and felt the old girl deserved a cleaning (the reel, let the fish go). Reel cleaned fine, added oil and grease, sealed her back up. Yesterday I went to go fish and changed the reel to a different rod. The Zillion was totally locked up and when the handle turned slightly there was an awful metal catching scraping sound. It was like the spool was stuck or something. I remembered that my SS/SV has a Zillion SV TW spool, so I switched that one into my Zillion SV TW. Turned and free spooled perfectly and everything was fine. This made me think I bent or damaged the spool. So I put the supposed problematic spool in the SS/SV and it turned PERFECTLY. This is where I got confused. I added both original spools back to the reels they started in and the problem was 100% gone. Took the Zillion out yesterday and made at least 100 casts with it alone and no issue. Did I have line or grit around the spool? I never saw anything, but the only thing I can imagine was there was line stuck somewhere in the spool drive train...

Also wanted to add I fixed my Chronarch MGL buzzing, there was a port by the thumb bar that had allowed some sand/grit/water in, gears were covered in black soot and a quick polish made the reel incredibly smooth again.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zillion SV TW Problem... Solved???

Post by CFDoc » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:44 am

When you cleaned the reel, did you remove any of the bearings on the spool shaft?

More specifically, did you remove any bearings that have a collar that goes in between the bearing and the spool shaft?

If so, you may have installed the collar backwards and it slipped out when reeling. Then when you changed spools, the collar went back in.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:11 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:44 am
When you cleaned the reel, did you remove any of the bearings on the spool shaft?

More specifically, did you remove any bearings that have a collar that goes in between the bearing and the spool shaft?

If so, you may have installed the collar backwards and it slipped out when reeling. Then when you changed spools, the collar went back in.
Yes, I removed the spool bearing... Checked it very carefully. Again though, when I changed spools back and forth, the original problem spool was fine. I kept thinking it was something with bearings or that spool pin...

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:54 pm

Any scratches around the perimeter of the outside of the spool surface?

Did you put the clutch cam spring in the right way back in?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:01 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:54 pm

No scratches on the spool, perfectly smooth now. I fishing for 6 hours yesterday, using 90% my Zillion SV TW and Steez A. What is more troubling now is that the Zillion SVTW is literally more smooth than the Steez A. I use these 2 reels most so they get a fair workout. The Steez A is still smooth, but I feel a faint but persistent pop-pop-pop-pop while retrieving line. When I take it off a reel and turn the handle it is absolute butter. Am I just feeling line? Again when it happens it by no means feels like a $500 reel but when it doesn't happen it is golden...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:55 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:01 am
Slazmo wrote:

No scratches on the spool, perfectly smooth now. I fishing for 6 hours yesterday, using 90% my Zillion SV TW and Steez A. What is more troubling now is that the Zillion SVTW is literally more smooth than the Steez A. I use these 2 reels most so they get a fair workout. The Steez A is still smooth, but I feel a faint but persistent pop-pop-pop-pop while retrieving line. When I take it off a reel and turn the handle it is absolute butter. Am I just feeling line? Again when it happens it by no means feels like a $500 reel but when it doesn't happen it is golden...
The tick you feel is the spool pin rocking back and forth in the pinion gear groove. It could be that the stainless spool pin has worn the pinion groove and now allows play where they meet. I'm a Daiwa guy, but this is something that persists across most of their reel platforms, and something they could solve easily by using a spool pin that is thicker on one side, so that it fits snugly into the pinion groove. Even Abu has done this, not sure why Daiwa doesnt address the issue.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:33 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:55 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Slazmo wrote:

The tick you feel is the spool pin rocking back and forth in the pinion gear groove. It could be that the stainless spool pin has worn the pinion groove and now allows play where they meet. I'm a Daiwa guy, but this is something that persists across most of their reel platforms, and something they could solve easily by using a spool pin that is thicker on one side, so that it fits snugly into the pinion groove. Even Abu has done this, not sure why Daiwa doesnt address the issue.
This must be it. Maybe I am only feeling it sometimes because of this. I cleaned her good today and added grease, could not replicate the issue. Was it possibly something I did wrong? My Steez A uses a Zillion SV TW spool, only for finesse duty with 10lb Fluoro. Again I could not replicate the issue today, maybe it is just in my head. The spool pin seems to be the only logical explanation if it continues, so is there a way to fix this???

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:41 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:33 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Slazmo wrote:

This must be it. Maybe I am only feeling it sometimes because of this. I cleaned her good today and added grease, could not replicate the issue. Was it possibly something I did wrong? My Steez A uses a Zillion SV TW spool, only for finesse duty with 10lb Fluoro. Again I could not replicate the issue today, maybe it is just in my head. The spool pin seems to be the only logical explanation if it continues, so is there a way to fix this???
I have corrected it before with a new spool pin.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:53 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:41 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Slazmo wrote:

I still feel like I am crazy, maybe the reel was set loose or something, like the cast control knob allowed it to rock slightly. I put the reel all back together and now feel nothing. It just confuses me so bad. If it happens in the future, would a brass Zillion SV1000 XH gear set work? I know people have been mentioning that swap lately...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:44 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:53 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:41 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

I still feel like I am crazy, maybe the reel was set loose or something, like the cast control knob allowed it to rock slightly. I put the reel all back together and now feel nothing. It just confuses me so bad. If it happens in the future, would a brass Zillion SV1000 XH gear set work? I know people have been mentioning that swap lately...
Yes, the usdm zillion gear set fits, as does the Alphas SV TW gear set and the Steez CT gear set.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:08 pm

Tackle Trap told me the Zillion gears would not fit in the Steez A... I had no idea of the interchangeability of the other models either.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:12 pm

I missed your reference. I thought you meant 'do the USDM zillion sv tw gears interchange into the JDM version?'. My last reply was in regards to those compatibilities.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:56 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:12 pm
I missed your reference. I thought you meant 'do the USDM zillion sv tw gears interchange into the JDM version?'. My last reply was in regards to those compatibilities.
Well either way got the new Zillion in. Thing is a beast. By the way I guess my Steez A is a total mystery now... back to the faint pop on the retrieve. Not every single retrieve but it is not even close to the new Zillion in smoothness. To be honest my SV TW Zillions are better than the Steez A. This is gonna drive me crazy man. I looked at the spools, the shaft was thicker on the A, along with having a larger bearing. Tried that spool and the reel still did it. I want to sell it now or send it in. This has me furious that the new Zillion, not to mention all THREE previous generations along with my SS/SV and Tatula Type R are all smoother than my Steez A.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:49 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:56 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:12 pm
Well either way got the new Zillion in. Thing is a beast. By the way I guess my Steez A is a total mystery now... back to the faint pop on the retrieve. Not every single retrieve but it is not even close to the new Zillion in smoothness. To be honest my SV TW Zillions are better than the Steez A. This is gonna drive me crazy man. I looked at the spools, the shaft was thicker on the A, along with having a larger bearing. Tried that spool and the reel still did it. I want to sell it now or send it in. This has me furious that the new Zillion, not to mention all THREE previous generations along with my SS/SV and Tatula Type R are all smoother than my Steez A.
Apply thumb pressure to the spool when reeling. Does it go away?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:29 pm

Somewhat... Further than that, I cannot even get it to do it unless it is on the water, casting a lure. Smoother than the new Zillion when reeling off of a rod. But when retrieving under mild pressure there is a tap, doesn't really go away with thumb pressure, but goes away completely under heavy load. So I guess, yeah thumb pressure helps. I have tried different rods, different spools, it does it with the stock Steez A spool and Zillion SV TW spool. It probably won't end the reel but for $500 no way in hell should a reel feel like this.