Zillion SV TW Problem... Solved???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Zillion SV TW Problem... Solved???

Post by SSS » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:01 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:29 pm
Somewhat... Further than that, I cannot even get it to do it unless it is on the water, casting a lure. Smoother than the new Zillion when reeling off of a rod. But when retrieving under mild pressure there is a tap, doesn't really go away with thumb pressure, but goes away completely under heavy load. So I guess, yeah thumb pressure helps. I have tried different rods, different spools, it does it with the stock Steez A spool and Zillion SV TW spool. It probably won't end the reel but for $500 no way in hell should a reel feel like this.
lol you're going through the exact same insanity that i am going through since early spring. You can also replicate this while not being on the water. Turn the handle while having mild pressure on the side of the spool, and you will notice the annoying as **** thick. Reingage the thumbar once or twice, and its gone, then comes back when the thumbar is pressed. And as i have mentioned in another thread, i have even swapped my alphas gearset to a brand new one, and its still doing it. And on my Steez, it can't be the spool pin because it does this on three different spools, which is not happening on other reels that i use these same spools.

This thing is ruining my steez tw enjoyment. I don't even want to use it knowing its happening every 3-4 casts.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:33 am

Yeah I am very upset about it. I don't make a lot of money. I barely pull 30k working as a CNA. Nice reels are a treat I get every now and then saving change or doing a yardsale. I don't have nice rods, a nice boat, etc. I love reels and take pride in the ones I have. For $500 this should not happen. If my Tatula R did this after +6 years of hard fishing it would be acceptable. This is a $500 reel doing it after less than one year with 10lb fluoro on a Medium rod. I just want to fix it. Might sell it if anyone is interested.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:06 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Somewhat... Further than that, I cannot even get it to do it unless it is on the water, casting a lure. Smoother than the new Zillion when reeling off of a rod. But when retrieving under mild pressure there is a tap, doesn't really go away with thumb pressure, but goes away completely under heavy load. So I guess, yeah thumb pressure helps. I have tried different rods, different spools, it does it with the stock Steez A spool and Zillion SV TW spool. It probably won't end the reel but for $500 no way in hell should a reel feel like this.
Replace all level wind components. If you want to troubleshoot you can remove the level wind and hand level it out on the water. You do this by paming the rod foregrip and using your index finger and thumb to lay line across the spool as you crank. You can bypass the level wind and still have the rest of the reel under normal operation and its free. You'll know real fast if the level wind is the source of the tick or not.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:17 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:06 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Replace all level wind components. If you want to troubleshoot you can remove the level wind and hand level it out on the water. You do this by paming the rod foregrip and using your index finger and thumb to lay line across the spool as you crank. You can bypass the level wind and still have the rest of the reel under normal operation and its free. You'll know real fast if the level wind is the source of the tick or not.
Although I typically associate a scratchy sound and feeling with level wind issue. A random tick is typically a bearing issue. If the tick always occurs once every rotation of the handle in the same spot then it is the main gear. If is multiple ticks that occur in the handle rotation and the occurences move around within the 360 degrees of the handle rotation rather than in certain spots then it can be a pinion gear. If it is just buzzy as hell it's the gears. If it is smooth with a random tick and occurs whenever then that sounds like a crunchy ball in a bearing.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:26 pm

I did remove the level wind on my alphas. Nothing changed.

But now that i think of it, could it maybe be the roller bearing? Many reels use the same roller bearings, so swapping them out to see if there's any changes could be an idea.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:36 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:17 pm
LowRange wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:06 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Although I typically associate a scratchy sound and feeling with level wind issue. A random tick is typically a bearing issue. If the tick always occurs once every rotation of the handle in the same spot then it is the main gear. If is multiple ticks that occur in the handle rotation and the occurences move around within the 360 degrees of the handle rotation rather than in certain spots then it can be a pinion gear. If it is just buzzy as hell it's the gears. If it is smooth with a random tick and occurs whenever then that sounds like a crunchy ball in a bearing.
I am thinking a crunchy in the bearing now too. TT said they would help so I am going to take that opportunity. I could not get the clips off to remove the levelwind myself though. It is for sure a random tick and not the gears. It is smooth as can be off the rod. It still could be the spool pin rocking, but from my tests, the pin actually fits tighter in the Steez A gears than other Daiwas I own. This is with 3 different spools. This just all confuses me so bad because the reel looks fine. Thinking back though, I think this reel has ALWAYS done this. I just had myself convinced it was line or grit. Now i have been fishing more and more and using all my reels i know for sure something is wrong bad.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:48 am

Spool pin rocking is usually a clack clack sound when reeling quickly with no load on the spool. Any load such as just the weight of the bait and it goes away. All my Daiwas are like that. My Alphas SVs really like to clack with no bait tied on and reeling quickly. Silent and butter once actually fishing.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:49 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:48 am
Spool pin rocking is usually a clack clack sound when reeling quickly with no load on the spool. Any load such as just the weight of the bait and it goes away. All my Daiwas are like that. My Alphas SVs really like to clack with no bait tied on and reeling quickly. Silent and butter once actually fishing.
Well this is the opposite... So what in the world does that mean? Levelwind is my guess... I hope so bad they solve this. Just hope it is not a huge cost, reel is very important to me.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:53 pm

When you're retrieving the lure while getting the ticking vibration, if you were to engage and disengage the thumb bar, does it go away?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:42 am

SSS wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:53 pm
When you're retrieving the lure while getting the ticking vibration, if you were to engage and disengage the thumb bar, does it go away?
No. Sometimes it takes off right where it was. Other times... maybe it helps? This is not a reel breaking feeling, this reel bombs casts. This is a similar feeling to if you were reeling in loose line with a loop on the spool. That is why I keep thinking levelwind.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:01 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:42 am
SSS wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:53 pm
No. Sometimes it takes off right where it was. Other times... maybe it helps? This is not a reel breaking feeling, this reel bombs casts. This is a similar feeling to if you were reeling in loose line with a loop on the spool. That is why I keep thinking levelwind.
If you happen to find out the exact cause, let everyone know. I too am trying to figure it out. Unfortunately, it is not the level wind on mine.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:06 am

I dug up an old thread where a guy had a similar issue with a Steez SVTW. User was named "kimberdan", sent him a PM asking whatever happened. Not sure he is still on here though or active. His last post said Daiwa toks him it was a bent spool. No way that is the case for me, I have used 3 different, perfect spools. If the Trap cannot fix it, will probably sell. $310 sound fair? Reel is perfect other than this faint tick.
The old thread was "Daiwa Steez SV TW help" from 2018.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:36 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:06 am
I dug up an old thread where a guy had a similar issue with a Steez SVTW. User was named "kimberdan", sent him a PM asking whatever happened. Not sure he is still on here though or active. His last post said Daiwa toks him it was a bent spool. No way that is the case for me, I have used 3 different, perfect spools. If the Trap cannot fix it, will probably sell. $310 sound fair? Reel is perfect other than this faint tick.
The old thread was "Daiwa Steez SV TW help" from 2018.
I've seen it. Same thing on my end, i tried at least three spools and its only happening on my steez tw.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:26 pm

I don't have a solution, but just to say I had a random tick in the newest Morethan as well.
Sometimes there's a tick in the retrieve, sometimes not.
Disengage/engage a few times, and it would either disappear/reappear.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:32 am

y2k88 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:26 pm
I don't have a solution, but just to say I had a random tick in the newest Morethan as well.
Sometimes there's a tick in the retrieve, sometimes not.
Disengage/engage a few times, and it would either disappear/reappear.
That is it. Like barely enough tick to notice but prevalent enough to feel at the same time. I am pretty sure my Steez A did this out of the box. We had just moved when I got it, wasn't fishing as much. I just remember thinking it was line or something. Once I got to fishing much more again recently, I knew something was wrong. I am thinking it must be something with the levelwind, maybe pinion/spool connection. Did yours ever get better???