Okuma Hakai

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Okuma Hakai

Post by LowRange » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:44 pm

Seems like a decent reel. Linear mag mag may not be my preferred bomb casting braking profile but it sure is a smooth casting and consistent type of braking especially paired to a light weight spool like the Hakai. This could be a good little jigs and plastics reel. Reviews say it skips pretty well.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:17 pm

I bought the Hakai as a really light reel for the Epitome. I got the reel long before the rod and used it for a variety of things. It wound up on my cranking rod since it really bomb casts a long way. It replaced a Tatula Elite Mag Z setup. I may give it a go on the Epitome for a super light combo for bottom contact or swim jigs this upcoming season. Still trying to figure out where the Epitome excels.

I have over 50 reels, all Daiwa and Shimano, but the Hakai was surprising in that it was able to cast as well as the big boys in my opinion. It's super lightweight and unlike the Aldebaren, it holds a decent amount of line.

Shie
Angler
Angler

Post by Shie » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:12 pm

amso4 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:17 pm
I bought the Hakai as a really light reel for the Epitome. I got the reel long before the rod and used it for a variety of things. It wound up on my cranking rod since it really bomb casts a long way. It replaced a Tatula Elite Mag Z setup. I may give it a go on the Epitome for a super light combo for bottom contact or swim jigs this upcoming season. Still trying to figure out where the Epitome excels.

I have over 50 reels, all Daiwa and Shimano, but the Hakai was surprising in that it was able to cast as well as the big boys in my opinion. It's super lightweight and unlike the Aldebaren, it holds a decent amount of line.
I ended up going with a lew's custom lite for either my Epitome or a light pitching stick I'm building. The Hakai is more within my preferences (brass gear, larger spool) and cheaper, but found the custom lite for a good price and I wanted to make this combo as light weight as possible.

I'll probably end up with another Hakai at some point but I'm excited for the lew's as it weighs only 4.9oz

d510addict
Angler
Angler

Post by d510addict » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:06 pm

Did the shallow spool version ever get released? I can barely find these for sale anywhere. Think it would reliably cast down to 4 gram Ned rigs?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:56 pm

d510addict wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:06 pm
Did the shallow spool version ever get released? I can barely find these for sale anywhere. Think it would reliably cast down to 4 gram Ned rigs?
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/search- ... text=Hakai

d510addict
Angler
Angler

Post by d510addict » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:30 am

Thoughts on the quality? Worth it over the Alphas 800s for light Neds?