Used curado DC in salt

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Used curado DC in salt

Post by russ57 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:29 pm

In a pinch I used my dc to try to catch some snook on paddletails. I hooked a couple and was nearly spooled before ultimately breaking off both times because I felt I couldn't let it have any more line, which was low due to a snag. I will certainly be trying again,but In the future I will just use my abu round reel. I am hoping I did not damage the reel from this one outing. I am not sure if I should wash it because some people say that can cause salt to get into some places it shouldn't be. I am going to take off the line and then maybe wipe it down with clorox wipes? What would you guys do/do you think I hurt it?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Used curado DC in salt

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:47 pm

Might have to lock the Curado in the corn crib and shoot him... Old Yeller style.

Not sure about the washing the salt into deeper areas. I have heard that too. Not sure how far you break reels down, but I would remove the spool and maybe side plate just to look for intrusion, then wipe off or paper towel up any moisture seen.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:45 pm

If its just used in saltwater and not dunked or heavily splashed it'll be fine.

Just lock down the drag and spritz the reel from the thumb bar forward (top down), wash the spool and shake it out - take the side plate off and spool out allow to dry.

If it's been dunked well then you need to tear down.

The Ambassadeur will cop abuse better and has heaps more capacity.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:19 pm

Here is a link to Shimano North America showing how to clean the reel after saltwater use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIwZ3g8yRhU&t=47s

I think you could by doing less, unless as mentioned you dunked it.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:08 am

I didn't end up doing much outside of wiping it down and removing the line. I don't feel like the reel is any less smooth and I may have overreacted to using it in the salt once. The only moisture was won the dial to change the brake setting. I don't plan to do it again, though. I don't think I will have to take it out back and shoot it, lol.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:06 am

No!!!! just kidding. A small rinse, wipe down, fish it in some fresh water. You're good.
Philippians 4:6

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:16 pm

Fish my curado dc in salt all the time, it's really not a big deal. Use a light mist instead of a high pressure spray to rinse it down. Break it down for a deep clean if you dunked it, otherwise it does great in the salt.