Steez CT as a BFS reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Steez CT as a BFS reel

Post by zelmo » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:31 am

Consider stock reels with no modifications. How does the Steez CT SV compare to traditional BFS reels such as the Aldebaran BFS (+ Limited), Alphas Air, or PX68 Type R?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Steez CT as a BFS reel

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:49 am

Std. ct sizes reels can be used in BFS. But in BFS I actually couldn't imagine anyone liking to use such heavy and big volume spool and with std. sv brake for sub 4 gram or 5 gram lures. Therefore, As you said, you are not going to modify reel for example with a cheap BFS spool from Ali (or expensive one from other source) I suggest not to buy ct sized reel intended for BFS. In my opinion ct Sized reels are power BFS, if not modified.

But modifying to BFS is cheap. Friend of mine swapped Ray's inductor to his Steez ct and reported reel turned much better in BFS. Cost is less than $10: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000020 ... 200a1a07-0 I don't have tried that reel so I don't know how it works. But mine current BFS reel is ct Alphas with some expensive and inexpensive aftermarket spools.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:30 am

Thanks. I have the other reels that I mentioned and can easily throw 3 to 4 grams with them. I also have the Steez SV TW that I use to throw 8 to 11 grams with, and I was wondering where the CT TW fit in. Sounds like it is in the middle.

I don’t want to change out the spool because there are plenty of BFS reels out there, including the Steez Air.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:36 pm

It is Compact and Tough reel. Compact to palm extremely well and solid to strong fishes but line capacity is relatively low. However line capacity is maximum that can be fit to that small reel, in case of sv brake. Yeh, it's in the middle of sv tw Steez and Steez Air.

Btv, Distance casting it's not strong point of this reel when comparing to bigger reels when using 8+ gram lures. I swapped mine original ct Alphas spool to Ray's Inductor and Magforce-Z spring. Real reason for swap was 'sticky inductor', but I tried all the alternatives. That turned spool comparable to bigger reels in everyday fishing use in point of distance casting. (Yeh, still it's not distance caster, but I loved to use it for Seatrout fishing.)

Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse Angler » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:01 pm

Frankly I don’t find the steez ct performance in terms of low end casting weight that different than my pixy type r with I’ve finesse spool on a super eiger. I’m sure if I went to a lighter rod there would be a difference. If you get a steez ct out of Japan and then get a diy bfs spool you’ll be under the cost of a steez air and you’ll have a clicking drag as well as a smoother reel from what I’ve heard. Fill the steez ct to the middle line of the spool and the performance should be on par with a bfs spool also, not tried my self but there are plenty of videos and literature on it.

Personally I prefer my type r as a more free feeling reel, not so controlled. Though the steez is a fantastic reel for mag bfs reel that can easily be turned into a true bfs reel for trout, crappie, bluegill or what ever you choose to fish for. I believe Saigisi (if I spelled that correctly) on here has had a couple with various different spools from KTF to AMO. According to him those spools perform amazing and a bearing swap on the cheaper spools can even put perform the KTF.

Personally I’m gonna pick up a diy spool for mine and the 700s spool at some point. It seems that the 700s spool opens up the bottom end without being to fast. Hope that helps.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:37 pm

Personnally I think ct Steez / Alphas is a great platforms but standard spool / brake in these are restricted. In my opinion those should be more distance tuned. Magforce sv BOOST might be perfect - small spool takes more revolutions in similar cast than bigger reel. (My own tune: Ray's inductor + Mag-Z spring also seems working well.) But nowadays there is a lot of aftermarket spools and those turns those reels to great BFS reels. Those are great reels but casting distance is restricted at least in a stock.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:43 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:37 pm
Personnally I think ct Steez / Alphas is a great platforms but standard spool / brake in these are restricted. In my opinion those should be more distance tuned. Magforce sv BOOST might be perfect - small spool takes more revolutions in similar cast than bigger reel. (My own tune: Ray's inductor + Mag-Z spring also seems working well.) But nowadays there is a lot of aftermarket spools and those turns those reels to great BFS reels. Those are great reels but casting distance is restricted at least in a stock.
Yeah, my stock Alphas CT seems a bit restricted, not terrible though. My Steez SV TW with Zpi Nrc001-m spool casts much better with weights of 3/32 oz to around 3/8 oz. That's my experience anyways.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:28 am

When I had my CT, I had a Roro BFS spool in it for a while. It performed very well. Like what Finesse Angler mentioned, getting the CT plus Roro spool is less money than the Steez AIR and, you get more flexibility with the reel than just the Steez AIR.

There is the Alphas AIR TW. That reel is awesome and is my recommendation for best out of the box performance
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:20 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:28 am
There is the Alphas AIR TW. That reel is awesome and is my recommendation for best out of the box performance
I already have the Alphas Air. Didn't want another.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:28 am
When I had my CT, I had a Roro BFS spool in it for a while. It performed very well. Like what Finesse Angler mentioned, getting the CT plus Roro spool is less money than the Steez AIR and, you get more flexibility with the reel than just the Steez AIR.
I solved that issue by getting both the Steez CT and the Steez Air.

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:23 am

I have both, you'll love them. The Air has a bad rap, I think mine is very smooth.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:03 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:43 pm
jvelth74 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:37 pm
Yeah, my stock Alphas CT seems a bit restricted, not terrible though. My Steez SV TW with Zpi Nrc001-m spool casts much better with weights of 3/32 oz to around 3/8 oz. That's my experience anyways.
X2