3 Generation Stradic Tuning

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

3 Generation Stradic Tuning

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:30 am

I am looking to upgrade our fleet of 3 spinning reels. I own a Stradic Ci4+FA 2500, Stradic Ci4+FB 2500, and a Stradic FL 2500S (JDM model). I have watched a few tutorials and searched on here for info, but I cannot properly weed through results to find the answers. I would like to add the spool support bearing (comes from a Stella I think), obviously a handle knob bearing, maybe the rear accessible levelwind bearing, and any others you might all suggest. I also planned on doing the Carbontex drag because I am 90% sure each model I own has the felt washers. Just wanting to work on some reels I enjoy, if anyone has the part numbers, tips, or any other bearings I should add please let me know.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 3 Generation Stradic Tuning

Post by reason162 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:56 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:30 am
I also planned on doing the Carbontex drag because I am 90% sure each model I own has the felt washers.
You don't want carbontex, that wouldn't be an upgrade. For lower drag settings (freshwater bass fishing) felt is smoother with lower startup inertia - that's why they come with felt.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:45 am

The answers your looking for require a vernier calliper and measuring of each said bushing.

A simple job.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:33 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:56 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
I also planned on doing the Carbontex drag because I am 90% sure each model I own has the felt washers.
You don't want carbontex, that wouldn't be an upgrade. For lower drag settings (freshwater bass fishing) felt is smoother with lower startup inertia - that's why they come with felt.
Exactly sir.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:14 pm

TravisNY wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:33 pm
reason162 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Exactly sir.
Ok, sounds good. I was thinking the carbon was better. I probably will only do the bearing in the drag, maybe the one on the main shaft. Seems that even though the rear access levelwind bearing is simple to replace, a mistake can cause damages. Most also say the bushing in that area is more than sufficient.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:48 am

Too be honest, you'll probably never notice any difference after the so called upgrades. Replacing the bushings with bearings in a spinning reel is almost pointless because there are no high rotational areas that really need it.
If you have bad bearings, that different. New bearings can actually make an old reel smooth again. Alot of times a good cleaning and lube job will make a huge difference. I've cleaned some of my older reels and they felt much better again.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:27 am

Starting to rethink the whole thing now. I assumed adding a bearing to the drag would be nice, but we really do not fish monsters and the current drag seems fine. Very lucky to catch a few fish over 6lbs yearly.

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:05 am

I can only advise on the Stradic FL which I had personally tuned up. My Stradic FL is a C3000 which I believe is identical in size (except for the spool) to the 2500. The 6 bearings that I had installed in replacement of the factory bushing are :

RD13274 (spool support bearing). 7x11x3
RD14396 (rotor shaft retaining bearing). 4x8x3
RD13269 (handle knob bearing). 4x7x2.5
RD11578 (oscillating slider & upper worm gear bearings). 2x5x2.5
(The slider bearing needs an additional Oscillating Slider bushing RD16471 to replace the existing bushing)
RD11018 (lower worm gear bearing). 3x6x2.5

My Stradic FL C3000 spool already comes with Carbontex drag washer that are smooth, strong and reliable. I suspect the 2500 drag washers may be Carbontex as well?

After the bearings upgrade, I felt that the reel is indeed smoother and quieter, but only slightly. The main difference was contributed by the replacement of the rotor shaft retaining bearing in my opinion. I could be wrong but the other five bearings I felt was marginal in improving the reel's smoothness.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:30 am

TravisNY wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:33 pm
reason162 wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
Exactly sir.
I’ll third this. Learned the hard way (not that hard, actually) on my fleet of CI4+ FA’s. OEM felt for any leader under 15lb-20lb, IMO.

Also, yeah, spool shaft, handle knob, and double line roller bearing kit. It was a waste of time to crack them open and do the extra internals, IMO. The ones I noted are a substantially noticeable upgrade.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:04 am

So I know the handle knob is an easy upgrade, but you say the spool shaft and to double the line roller is worth it? Also how hard is the rotor bearing to do? Price estimates on any of this???

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:01 pm

That rotor bearing is a matter of having the right screwdriver/bit to get the cross screw out. I can’t remember what it is exactly. I know I found a link to the screw driver on here, was less than $20. I think the double line roller bearing upgrade was as important as the handle knob, IMO. That was either an eBay kit or Hedgehog, also $20, I think. You want the kit because it has the replacement plastic bits to make it work. I’ve seen multi bearing kits on eBay as well, I think around $30 for the major 4 bearing needed.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:38 am

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:01 pm
That rotor bearing is a matter of having the right screwdriver/bit to get the cross screw out. I can’t remember what it is exactly. I know I found a link to the screw driver on here, was less than $20. I think the double line roller bearing upgrade was as important as the handle knob, IMO. That was either an eBay kit or Hedgehog, also $20, I think. You want the kit because it has the replacement plastic bits to make it work. I’ve seen multi bearing kits on eBay as well, I think around $30 for the major 4 bearing needed.
Fair enough, starting to think by the time I did all three reels I could have purchased another cheap spinning reel and have an extra Light bream/panfish setup. Just a hard decision. I enjoy tinkering, but it isn't always necessary.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:31 am

Pretty much tuning gets you close enough to the next step up reel in feel, Sustain in this case, that you may as well have bought that. That being said, an upgraded CI4+ will still be a lighter reel, if that matters.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:01 pm

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:31 am
Pretty much tuning gets you close enough to the next step up reel in feel, Sustain in this case, that you may as well have bought that. That being said, an upgraded CI4+ will still be a lighter reel, if that matters.
Yeah I made this mistake with a casting reel. Added a handle ($30), RCS large knobs ($40), and a Zillion SV TW spool ($70 at the time), when I should have just bought a Steez SV tw XH or a Steez CT XH. Paying for that one, reel malfunctioned anyways.

Back to the Stradics though, I might start with the FA Ci4+, then see how I like that before doing the other mods. Are the kits all the same? I just have seen discrepancies with ordering parts.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:49 am

The hedgehog line roller double bearing kit is legit and comes with the extra plastic pieces. The other kit I’ve used with success I’d the 4 bearing HPR kit in fleaBay. Was just looking through my e-mail to see what all I did. I also added a Power Grip II baitcaster knob at the same time. Love those on Shimano spinning reels!

The CI4+ FA is a fine reel to put a little $$ into. They are workhorses. I’ll warn you, I’ve never got them to feel like the current generation butter smooth, even with all the replacement bearings added internally too, but for the durability of that FA series of reel, I’m extremely happy with the feel of just doing essentially the easy, “external” bearing adds.