High end baitcasters in the the salt

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

High end baitcasters in the the salt

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:48 am

Looking for some info of anybody that’s used say a 2020 Metanium Mgl, Aldebaran mgl or the new Antares dc in the salt? I know Shimano states they are salt safe but it would like to see if anybody has some first hand experience before I pull the trigger on one and find out the hard way it was a big mistake.

Thanks TT

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: High end baitcasters in the the salt

Post by CFDoc » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:54 am

I've probably caught between 4-500 speckled trout and 100 or so redfish on my 2020 Mets.

If you look at some of my teardown threads, there's very little signs of salt wear on them. However, I do usually clean all of my reels within a few days of being used in salt for an extended period of time.

Bay_Bassin86
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bay_Bassin86 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:42 am

CFDoc wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:54 am
I've probably caught between 4-500 speckled trout and 100 or so redfish on my 2020 Mets.

If you look at some of my teardown threads, there's very little signs of salt wear on them. However, I do usually clean all of my reels within a few days of being used in salt for an extended period of time.
Awesome, thank you for your response. Looks like a 2020 met is in my future. I’m very anal about cleaning my gear. I usually clean my reels down with freshwater before I even head home from fishing them in the salt. My dad has a conquest 100hg that’s going on 4 years in the salt and they only thing I had to do to is is change out the spool bearings for him

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:43 pm

Hi, I had been using salt-compatible Shimano Conquest, Antares (both DC and Mechanical), and Daiwa Millionaire and Morethan extensively in the salt with no major issues. I do wash them out carefully after each trip and strip the line out periodically for a more complete cleaning/servicing to keep them that way. But I must qualify that after a couple of years of use, do expect to have to change out a ball bearing or 2. Other than that they do fine in salt environment. Good luck!

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:49 am

I have used many different baitcasters in the salt and find I have more issues with baitcasters than spinning reels.
I have had most luck with round reels with few bearings - Ambassadeurs and an old Calcutta 201TE.
I have had less luck with low profile baitcasters including first gen. Shimano Exsence DC and with reels stuffed with bearings incl an Ambassadeur 4601 “C3” with 13 bearings and a ported spool.
The latter reels have trouble with free spool and other issues after a trip or two.
I generally rinse my reels in tap water as soon as I get home, wipe them down, take out the spool and leave it all to dry.
That treatment works better for my spinning reels…

What do you guys do to keep them going with no issues?

Shadowcaster1969
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shadowcaster1969 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:21 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:49 am
I have used many different baitcasters in the salt and find I have more issues with baitcasters than spinning reels.
I have had most luck with round reels with few bearings - Ambassadeurs and an old Calcutta 201TE.
I have had less luck with low profile baitcasters including first gen. Shimano Exsence DC and with reels stuffed with bearings incl an Ambassadeur 4601 “C3” with 13 bearings and a ported spool.
The latter reels have trouble with free spool and other issues after a trip or two.
I generally rinse my reels in tap water as soon as I get home, wipe them down, take out the spool and leave it all to dry.
That treatment works better for my spinning reels…

What do you guys do to keep them going with no issues?
I think the 2 most important factors are 1. Regular full servicing (once every 4-6 months), 2. Removing the line once a month and soak the line overnight in freshwater to remove salt-content. The line absorb quite a bit of salt content that does not rinse out 100% easily.

Vabass
Angler
Angler

Post by Vabass » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:57 pm

Friend of mine pulled a new met out of the saltwater recently. It had been down long enough for the guides on the rod to start rusting.

I tore down the reel completely and for some reason the drag washer and aluminum washer corroded into each other and the spool bearing was froze. I was able to get the bearing to spin after hrs in a ultrasonic cleaner but it sounds terrible.

I bought a new drag washer and polished the aluminum plate and brass main gear and it casts pretty well now. One other thing to note was the lip on the spool and a section On the spool body began to corrode away but it does not affect the function.

So after all this abuse or saltwater submersion I am pretty impressed there isn't much more damage. Now I just need to figure out where to buy a new spool bearing with the o ring so I don't have to purchase an entire spool.

I hope this helps.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:10 pm

Granted the only Shimano stuff I fish are their spinning reels, I do fish a bunch of daiwa stuff in the salt and I've had just 2 issues, handle bearings that freeze up from the salt and a weird knick in the finish on the magnet for my tw1516 has let salt in to corrode the magnet in a small spot. I learned my lesson to spend the money for stainless bearings and not use chrome steel rc bearings in handles for the salt.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:18 pm

Yep, salt will eat up a magnet quickly. That's why the og Coastal 153 has the Centriflex cast control, not magnets.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.