TD-Z Spool Options

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

TD-Z Spool Options

Post by Senkobass1 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:37 pm

Hi everybody,

Lately I’ve been getting the itch to try a new reel and lately no reels have been really impressing me. So after some research, I’ve found the TD-Z is a very highly praised reel on this on many other forums. Which leads me to my question. Which spool is the best performing overall in the TD-Z? I know not every spool is suited for every technique or person, but I’d like to get a general idea of the best spools to really maximize performance and keep up with the new reels.Thanks!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: TD-Z Spool Options

Post by goldrod » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:40 pm

Senkobass1 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:37 pm
Hi everybody,

Lately I’ve been getting the itch to try a new reel and lately no reels have been really impressing me. So after some research, I’ve found the TD-Z is a very highly praised reel on this on many other forums. Which leads me to my question. Which spool is the best performing overall in the TD-Z? I know not every spool is suited for every technique or person, but I’d like to get a general idea of the best spools to really maximize performance and keep up with the new reels.Thanks!
Would it be possible for you to give a general idea of what lures you will be casting?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Senkobass1 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:50 pm

I’d be mainly trying to cast moving baits and topwaters like the Vixen, Kickknocker, 1.5 squarebills,etc. As far as I know, the TD-Z in a righty is only available in lower gear ratios under 7.1. So I’m mainly looking to build a TD-Z for moving bait applications.

The baits I throw will range in the 1/2-5/8 oz range for the most part. Sometimes I may throw a Fat Ika or senko in a pinch

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:08 am

The 1016 spool from the T3 is a great spool for distance casting. You can turn the mag brakes way down and still have control. Another option is the old ZPI spool, RC 001 or RC 002. They are excellent in a TDZ, fast and controlled, but still draw a premium price even today.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:14 am

The RCS 1012 & 1016 spools are good for that. The Zillion SV spool is good as well, as are the ZPI spools.

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Senkobass1 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:18 am

Any DIY spool options? I’ve been going through the diy spool thread and got curious. Seems like the Chinese spools are pretty reliable.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:19 am

1 0 1 6
And look no further
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:18 pm

Would also add the SLP1010 if you're able to find one. Great distance caster, and doesn't hold too much line. Another option that i have just discovered a few weeks ago and have never seen anybody suggest is the MagZ spool with an R tuned inductor from the Orochi Cover Hacking 10CHL. This one might be impossible to find, but it casts like a rocket. Very similar to the RCS1016 spool, but faster and better for pitching/flipping.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:13 pm

The DIY HLC spool with the fixed, indexed inductor is a pretty good starting point of you want to go the DIY spool route. I personally really like the old ZPI spools in a TD-Z.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:42 am

Type R+ is a really good 3/8 and up distance caster with good control as well

ZPI Rc002 or 001 are also excellent fixed inductor spools

The BE is pricey but a worthy performer in the TDZ

For SV spools the 1012 and 1016 are excellent. The SV103 is a spool if you want more control and target casting

The newer ZPI M and PG spools are good as well. The PG is better in the TDZ whereas the M can get finicky unless you turn the brakes up.

The stock TDZ 103 gigas spool is just sort of average for your normal weight lures

bassmaster_flex
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassmaster_flex » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:36 pm

The 1016 was weird for me. Bought it for a TDZ103ML I got from Japan and it sucked. Casts were worse than stock. Like it would just hit a wall and stop. Thought it was a bad spool or something. Swapped it into another TDZ I had and it’s awesome. Zings 3/8oz chatterbaits far. Don’t know what it is but left it in that reel and been happy with it ever since.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:00 am

bassmaster_flex wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:36 pm
The 1016 was weird for me. Bought it for a TDZ103ML I got from Japan and it sucked. Casts were worse than stock. Like it would just hit a wall and stop. Thought it was a bad spool or something. Swapped it into another TDZ I had and it’s awesome. Zings 3/8oz chatterbaits far. Don’t know what it is but left it in that reel and been happy with it ever since.
That
Sounds like you either ha e a bad bearing or the magnet ring has broken loose from the base. Both of those problems are in the palm sideplate.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

bassmaster_flex
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassmaster_flex » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:21 am

I’ll have Trey check it out when I send it to him. Kept the stock spool in there and have been using it all season. Still so smooth for an OG reel.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:50 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:00 am
bassmaster_flex wrote:
That
Sounds like you either ha e a bad bearing or the magnet ring has broken loose from the base. Both of those problems are in the palm sideplate.
I’ve actually had this happen to me and it was the magnets.
That 1016 spool in my TDZ R+ just works and distance isn’t an issue
I would suggest a careful inspection of that side plate.

I pulled out the side plate and set it on the table with a spool in it a d rotated the spool to see where contact is being made
I will adjust the mag dial and place the side plate back on the table to look at it

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:57 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:50 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:00 am
bassmaster_flex wrote:
That
I’ve actually had this happen to me and it was the magnets.
That 1016 spool in my TDZ R+ just works and distance isn’t an issue
I would suggest a careful inspection of that side plate.

I pulled out the side plate and set it on the table with a spool in it a d rotated the spool to see where contact is being made
I will adjust the mag dial and place the side plate back on the table to look at it
iirc, I repaired that for you, Jorrick.