Shimano vanford vs vanquish vs twinpower vs daiwa luvias airity

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Ferio
Angler
Angler

Shimano vanford vs vanquish vs twinpower vs daiwa luvias airity

Post by Ferio » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:08 am

Currently am in the mood to buy a new reel for my recently acquired st. Croix legend xtreme lxs76mlxf2.

Been narrowing it down to the following:

Shimano vanford
Shimano Vanquish 2019
Shimano twinpower FD 2020
Daiwa luvias airity

All of them in 2500/3000 size.

Will be using mostly carolina rig and hardbaits up to about 10gram. Target fish are perch and zander. Pike as extra catch.

Am leaning to vanquish.

What are you guys suggesting?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shimano vanford vs vanquish vs twinpower vs daiwa luvias airity

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:06 pm

Ferio wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:08 am
Currently am in the mood to buy a new reel for my recently acquired st. Croix legend xtreme lxs76mlxf2.

Shimano vanford
Shimano Vanquish 2019
Daiwa luvias airity

Will be using mostly carolina rig and hardbaits up to about 10gram. Target fish are perch and zander. Pike as extra catch.

Am leaning to vanquish.

All good choices IMO with likely a little less refinement with the Vanford at the return lower cost. For years, I got stuck on diawa baitcasters and shimano spinners just because of what appealed to me. The spinners were mainly stradics with one flurry into a sustain. When the two big dogs released their current top tier models, I was lucky enough to get to go to ICast that year. I got my grubby hands all over the stella and exist at the show, knowing that I finally wanted to try their high end. Don’t know exactly why, but the exist appealed to me more than the stella in the way it felt and looked. Mind you, till then I fished all shimano spinners. Fast forward a few years later and I finally got that exist this year in a 3000 cxh configuration (found one miraculously at TTT). It’s an amazing reel now that I’ve got to fish it.

So, now I wanted a second in 4000 size for slightly bigger non-bass game, but not for that price. Researching the luvias airity, it seems on paper at least to be exist-clone-like except no anti-reverse switch and no fancy warranty. I really hope I don’t ever have to use that warranty anyway. So I went with the LA. If the LA ends up being 70% of what the exist is, it will be a great deal IMO at that price point. My airity should be here later this week, so I’ll let you know how it compares.

Ferio
Angler
Angler

Post by Ferio » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:24 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:06 pm
[

So, now I wanted a second in 4000 size for slightly bigger non-bass game, but not for that price. Researching the luvias airity, it seems on paper at least to be exist-clone-like except no anti-reverse switch and no fancy warranty. I really hope I don’t ever have to use that warranty anyway. So I went with the LA. If the LA ends up being 70% of what the exist is, it will be a great deal IMO at that price point. My airity should be here later this week, so I’ll let you know how it compares.
Nice! I need to import mine from japan. They are for sale here for 650 euro which is way too expensive. Importing one is around 510 euro, but i agreed to put a smaller price.

I was thinking about the 2500xh. Looking forward to see your thoughts about the LA when you've played with it!

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:01 am

Ferio wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:24 am
Polkfish1 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:06 pm
[

Nice! I need to import mine from japan. They are for sale here for 650 euro which is way too expensive. Importing one is around 510 euro, but i agreed to put a smaller price.

I was thinking about the 2500xh. Looking forward to see your thoughts about the LA when you've played with it!

Oh yes; for sure. You have to buy it from Japan in order to get the ‘deal’. It’s a JDM product and otherwise not imported to the US either. Unless your country is hitting you with some type of tariff at the border, you should be able to get one a little under the price you state.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:00 am

Have you considered the Zenon by Abu Garcia?

Looks amazing and has some great specs
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Ferio
Angler
Angler

Post by Ferio » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:17 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:01 am

Oh yes; for sure. You have to buy it from Japan in order to get the ‘deal’. It’s a JDM product and otherwise not imported to the US either. Unless your country is hitting you with some type of tariff at the border, you should be able to get one a little under the price you state.
Yes, import taxes etc etc. Found one guy in Japan willing to put a lower price to cut the costs, but the recent law forbids it.

goldrod wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:00 am
Have you considered the Zenon by Abu Garcia?

Looks amazing and has some great specs
I haven't heard of it, but this does indeed look sweet. Have to dive into some reviews. Thanks!

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:42 am

Ferio wrote:

Shimano vanford
Shimano Vanquish 2019
Daiwa luvias airity

Am leaning to vanquish.

The smoothest drags comes on the Luvias Airity and Certate LTs - smoother than even my Exist LT and Stella FJ. If you're fishing light line and small hooks, those two reels should be at the top of your list imo.

The Certate 3000 compact sizes might balance the 76 rod nicely too.

Ferio
Angler
Angler

Post by Ferio » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:50 pm

reason162 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:42 am
Ferio wrote:

Shimano vanford
Shimano Vanquish 2019
Daiwa luvias airity

Am leaning to vanquish.

The smoothest drags comes on the Luvias Airity and Certate LTs - smoother than even my Exist LT and Stella FJ. If you're fishing light line and small hooks, those two reels should be at the top of your list imo.

The Certate 3000 compact sizes might balance the 76 rod nicely too.

Have two certate 3000cxh, want to try something else.

They are insanely good for the price.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:53 pm

Ferio wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:50 pm
reason162 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:42 am
Ferio wrote:

Shimano vanford
Shimano Vanquish 2019
Daiwa

Have two certate 3000cxh, want to try something else.

They are insanely good for the price.
Luvias airity came. As usual faster from Japan to my house than any domestic retailer. It looks and feels pretty existy to me, minus the features previously mentioned and a less fancy reel bag. I guess the drag dial is different from the 18 exist too, but I’ll need to put line on to really feel the how it sets differently. I am glad that they included the anti-reverse on switch on their top reel, but I can live without it for $300 savings. I doubt you’d be disappointed with the airity. However, since you already have two certate lt’s and want to try something different, I’d suggest trying the vanquish. I’ve never fished one, but with the airity you’ll mainly be trading Al for Mg with an overall similar platform. Vanquish would be different.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:08 pm

if you already have (and like?) the certates you will love the luvias airity. i have 3 certate lt (2 2500-xh and a JDM 2500s) and they are amazing reels, smooth, light everything i want in a spinning reel! this past winter i got a luvias airity and its like a certate but even lighter, as soon as i find one available ill be getting the new steez ags 76 mml, and will likely be getting another airity to put on it.

i have older models of the TP and vanquish and they are great reels too, but i just like the daiwa reels better, though the excense does intrigue me to put on a legend xtreme! that blacked out reel on a blacked out rod would look amazing. not to mention the reel tear down copycat site did on youtube and its essentially a lighter stella.