2020 JDM Metanium Owners: Spool tension question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
aerostatic
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

2020 JDM Metanium Owners: Spool tension question

Post by aerostatic » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:22 pm

Hi all, just received my 2020 JDM Metanium from Digitaka today. Took it out onto the water and realized that the spool was extremely tight in that loosening the tension knob all the way (to the point of it falling off) wouldn't induce side to side play like my Curado DC does. However, the lure attached would still vary in fall speed when loosening/ tightening the tension knob. The reel has 30lb braid backing and 8lb mono leader for time being.

Only thing I did to troubleshoot was took the spool off, confirmed the bearing that has a spring behind it was able to move back and forth.

Would appreciate other 20 JDM/USDM Metanium owners' experience with their spool tension and if mine is a lemon or is normal. Thank you!

https://imgur.com/a/hKcTWnM

Pics here of the opened tension knob. Seems like the Met has a more sunken in bearing than the Curado.
Last edited by aerostatic on Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2020 JDM Metanium Owners: Spool tension question

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:32 am

It's normal. Still casts like a dream!

aerostatic
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by aerostatic » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:10 am

MardukFIN wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:32 am
It's normal. Still casts like a dream!
Appreciate it, that's relieving to hear. Casts lighter lures really well, but backlashes a lot more than my DC. Guess I've gotten spoiled :lol: , time to train that thumb.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:21 pm

I've noticed on mine that I have to use more effort to move the spool to feel the side to side play. It's more subtle maybe because of the spring but can feel it when the tensioner is loose enough.

kevkim
Angler
Angler

Post by kevkim » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:56 pm

The spool shaft bearing has a spring underneath it which keeps constant tension (Shimano’s silent tune technology). If you loosen the spool tension enough, you should be able to still move the spool side to side, although there’s the slight resistance from the spring. Some other shimano reels like the bantam mgl and aldebaran 2015 models have springs to achieve the silent tune effect.

Also, the image you attached shows the xship bearing which supports the pinion gear, but does not effect the spool when in free-spool.