Kistler series reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
torm
Angler
Angler

Kistler series reels

Post by torm » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:22 pm

Kistler is having a great sale right now and I'm curious if anyone's bought their reels. Normally I'm a shimano guy but I do like to dwell on other brands sometimes. They don't look anything special, but I was wondering if I can get anyone's input on them who have used or handle them. I've been considering the new scorpion dc or zillion as well, but at the same time I could get two reels for the price of one here.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Kistler series reels

Post by LowRange » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:08 pm

BPS used that platform for their Bionic Plus reels. I owned one for a while when I picked it up on sale for $59 then later gave it to a friend as a 1st BC reel. They are basically a OEM attempt at making a cheap Curado K. They have brake system that functions identical to SVS and are roughly the same size. It was a heck of a performer for $60 and had an aluminum frame too. I'd buy one or two more at that price as kayak beaters. These new ones use the same platform but is nicer trim but much more expensive. A top trim model for $100 or so might be worth a shot. Anything more and I would pass. No feedback on the longevity of the platform and where to get parts when brake shoes eventually wear ect.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:25 pm

Interestingly the BPS Bionic Plus disappeared shortly before these Kistler reels were launched and now they have been purged from the internet. You can't find anything out about them or hardly any pics.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210911-212443_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210911-212443_Gallery.jpg (31.72 KiB) Viewed 1149 times

torm
Angler
Angler

Post by torm » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:08 pm

That is very interesting. Heard those old bionic reels were good value. For the price of the kistler I'm hoping for improvements at least in terms of quality. They even have shallow spools for them so it seems they are somewhat invested in them. Hopefully its not another Fitzgerald stunner. It seems to have good reviews, not knocking on anyone, but it seems to me kistler fans tend to overate stuff from what I hear. Nothing wrong with being loyal with your favorite company and it happens with everyone. Seeing people compare their spinning reel to a stradic kind of gave me a red alert. Another thing too, not sure if true but I've seen on some comments asking if its a doyo or banax in which Kistler replied as neither.
    I may just take the risk cuz you never know unless you leap and maybe do my own review on here after putting some time into it.