Level wind Prawl Cap???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Level wind Prawl Cap???

Post by goldrod » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:14 pm

Maybe it’s me but I almost always swap the plastic one out for metal.
Then I thought about the affect of heat and cold on the metal and wondered if I was doing any good or not
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Level wind Prawl Cap???

Post by Slazmo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:52 am

Plastic caps are garbage. Always tried to use the aluminium or chromed brass ones if available.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:18 am

Plastic is indeed trash. Always swapping them for an aluminum one, and use em in cold weather all the time.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:27 pm

Not sure how many would remember the early Curado B, the vertical pawl cap design and how fragile the pawl cap plastic was after a time spent outside, where the lower perimeter would crack and the pawl would literally drop out of the worm shaft or completely fall out lost to the void.

But for the sake of a dab of grease on the line guide threads and at the bottom of the pawl to mitigate corrosion lock between any dissimilar metals and or lack of maintenance, the metal cap is an investment for the sake of a few dollars.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:59 pm

SSS wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:18 am
Plastic is indeed trash. Always swapping them for an aluminum one, and use em in cold weather all the time.
Seems like the metal should be standard?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:22 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:59 pm
SSS wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:18 am
Seems like the metal should be standard?
For sure. I don't want to see it being made out of plastic on reels worth $300 plus.