Newer Daiwa knob design is garbage!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Do you like the newer Daiwa knobs?

Yes
52%
Nope
34%
Absolutely not
14%

Total votes: 44

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Newer Daiwa knob design is garbage!

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:16 am

Just_Bass wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:27 am
Switch both of my alphas SV TW and Zillion SV TW to i-shape knob since I first got it.
I would trade you all of my style for the style you replaced. I do not hate the original style (like you have pictured) but I actually prefer what comes on the Alphas SVTW.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:57 am

After getting the monkey off my back for several years I just gave in and picked up 3 new Steez - a SV TW, a CT 700, and the Air. This thread made me look at the knobs a little closer as I have only had them on the water a few times.

The knobs are similar to the ones on my Aldebarans which I am used to so they don’t bother me. I do like the older style better though.

I am not sure yet how I feel about the knobs on the Air. They are very small. I am sure that they are like that to go along with the BFS concept, but I don’t have any problem with the knobs on my PX68 Type R.

Something I hadn’t noticed before is that the knobs on the Air don’t have end caps. I don’t like that. What is the logic there? Cut a little weight?

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:12 pm

Anybody that thinks the new design is trash hasn't ever fished with the stock knobs on the coastal 200, I have| big hands and those have to be the worst knobs ever on a reel which is why that reel got megabass cork knobs as soon as I could type the tackle trap in the address bar on my phone. The new ones are a bit small to me and I rather have the I knobs but I'll take them over eva power style knobs.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:06 pm

I don’t mind those tiny stock knob. I have been using Curado 70 knob for years which is quite small. All Daiwa spinning also come with small knob beside Kage LT. I just prefer the old style just to make all of them the same. The one i don’t like is paddle style knob that come with my old Tatula CT type R.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:17 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:16 am
Just_Bass wrote:
Switch both of my alphas SV TW and Zillion SV TW to i-shape knob since I first got it.
I would trade you all of my style for the style you replaced. I do not hate the original style (like you have pictured) but I actually prefer what comes on the Alphas SVTW.
I will do that if your interested. I believe i have 3 new sets but ill have to check after work

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:15 am

bronzebacks wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:17 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:16 am
Just_Bass wrote:
I will do that if your interested. I believe i have 3 new sets but ill have to check after work
For sure! Think I have 2 extra sets, then the stock Zillion SVTW knobs (2 sets) that I would also trade.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:05 am

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I LOVE the huge triangle Steez A / Tatula 150/200 / Fuego CT knobs. If anyone has those sitting around, I’ll take them off your hands, as I can’t order those individually. I put them literally on almost all my casting AND spinning reels, short of my 1000 size spinners. I do the same thing with Power Grip II’s on my Shimanos…

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:32 am

If anyone has the smaller flat knobs that they dont need anymore, let me know.
I'm looking for a few. Especially the ones with the black end caps like on the tatula LT spinning reels.
PM me and let me know what you want for them.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:07 am

DrTrevorkian wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:05 am
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I LOVE the huge triangle Steez A / Tatula 150/200 / Fuego CT knobs. If anyone has those sitting around, I’ll take them off your hands, as I can’t order those individually. I put them literally on almost all my casting AND spinning reels, short of my 1000 size spinners. I do the same thing with Power Grip II’s on my Shimanos…
I have a bunch. Would trade all of them. Have about 3 extra sets and would take them off of: both Zillion TWS, old Tatula Type R, SV105/steez A handle, and my SS/SV (100mm tatula HD handle)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:12 am

I'm a knob snob but I'll admit those goofy Tatula paddle knobs are excellent when drenched in water. I lay my rods out in front when on the kayak and water from paddling falls allover my reels meaning the knobs are always wet and those things are the most grippy things when wet. Same with the rubberized cork engineered grip material on the Lightning rods. They stick like glue when wet like they get better when wet. Weird but all the Daiwa kayak use reels get these knobs.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:39 am

I don’t have a problem with them at all.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:18 pm

I prefer the OG I style knobs for most of my reels...power cranking reels I prefer the Z2020/Z200/OG Ryoga knobs or Zillion Type R knobs.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:22 am

Johnny A wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:39 am
I don’t have a problem with them at all.
Almost a year later since my previous … I’m going back to I Shaped from the Zillion HD w/ 90mm RCS handles, knobs on my last Zillion 1000 will probably be changed over to I Shape too.

AMMOGUY
Angler
Angler

Post by AMMOGUY » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:22 am

I’ve gotten used to the current USDM Daiwa knobs. They are just OK, but I don’t prefer them. Over on another forum, I started a thread similar to this one discussing how little I cared for them about two years ago, but I’ve backed off a little since then. The tiny JDM knobs are flat out terrible to me. But I’ll admit, I have gorilla hands.

The current Shimano “power grip” knobs that have the embossed writing on them are, IMO, the best OEM knobs going.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:39 am

AMMOGUY wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:22 am
I’ve gotten used to the current USDM Daiwa knobs. They are just OK, but I don’t prefer them. Over on another forum, I started a thread similar to this one discussing how little I cared for them about two years ago, but I’ve backed off a little since then. The tiny JDM knobs are flat out terrible to me. But I’ll admit, I have gorilla hands.

The current Shimano “power grip” knobs that have the embossed writing on them are, IMO, the best OEM knobs going.
Those should be the "Power Grip II". They are nice and tacky and much more durable than the OG Power Grip because that rubber compound was known to deteriorate quickly from contact with oils from your hands, sunscreen, baits, etc.

If you like the Shimano Power Grip II, find some Daiwa Z2020/Z200/Ryoga knobs, these are larger than most other Daiwa knobs, harder formed than rubber grips but still very grippy (although less tacky) than the Power Grip II.

If you have larger hands or prefer more to grip, this is the Daiwa factory knob that may fit you best.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."