Newer Daiwa knob design is garbage!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Do you like the newer Daiwa knobs?

Yes
52%
Nope
34%
Absolutely not
14%

Total votes: 44

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Newer Daiwa knob design is garbage!

Post by SSS » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:24 pm

Is it just me or their newer design, which i believe was introduced around 2016, is complete garbage? The rubber attracts gunk. The edges are very easily torn. The silver caps look bad, and i have lost 3 caps for no reason, something that has never happened with the og caps.

How do you all feel about their newer Shimano-like design when compared to their OG corks, etc?

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Newer Daiwa knob design is garbage!

Post by bronzebacks » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:00 am

I don't like them to the point I've switched all of them to rcs cork i shape knobs. I hate how small the new knobs are.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:14 am

I dont care for the ones that come on the Alphas CT and Steez SV TW, but the larger ones that come on the Tatula Elite are OK.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:23 am

I never realized they were controversial. I’m a big fan of both sizes, the small ones especially are my preferred choice for anything finessey.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:07 am

I'm a fan of the Super-high grip SLP Works I-shape (OG) knobs. I have about a dozen sets on various reels. They don't last long because the rubber on top of the cork is thin, but I just don't like the feel of most other materials when the going gets wet. The OG I-shape knob is perfect in my opinion. I especially don't like the smaller new design because I feel like my thumb and pointing finger are too close together.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:49 pm

When I have several rods with old and new, I find that I like the feel of the thinner, new ones better. But, I noticed the same issue with the caps falling out for no reason and then the plastic cover becoming ratty. I’ve really taken to using reel covers and trying to keep my reels as scratch free as possible, which is something I didn’t pay any attention to in the past. So, my zillion 10 and G look fine, other than these ratty knobs without caps and plastic fraying. I don’t even know when it happens. But for some reason, they have not fallen out on certain reels. My steez ct gets some of the heaviest rotation in my newer gen line up and those knobs are clean and with caps on. Don’t know if it’s luck of the draw with different batches or what. It be nice if they improved the quality. They look cheap and durability is inconsistent.

Check that— the steez ct has a handle from the new morethan, which has been the durable one.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:27 pm

bronzebacks wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:00 am
I don't like them to the point I've switched all of them to rcs cork i shape knobs. I hate how small the new knobs are.
That's what i did as well. Swapped all new gen rubber knobs to rcs corks, og daiwa corks, td ito corks and a few larger knobs from Gomexus for chunking larger baits.

My main issue with the newer ones is not that they're even too small, but the rubber texture and them being a constant gunk magnet [-(

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:53 am

I have 2 or 3 sets of the new ones if anyone is interested. I from a alphas sv tw and 2 sets from steez sv tw i believe. All are brand new

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:28 am

Not a fan of the smaller version and the weak durability

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:02 am

Love em. Like the small ones and the larger version too. The original Daiwa coated cork knobs, like on the Zillion SVTW and SV105 are inferior to me, with the Tatula style knobs (like on the Steez A) are last place to the other 2 styles.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:13 pm

I'm old school and still prefer the I-Shaped knobs myself. I have lots of OG corks on reels I'm using with the new 21 Steez AGS rods. I don't mind the really small new style knobs (original Steez CT for example) on finesse type reels, but I haven't had any caps fall off either. They are more tacky which has the trade off of accumulating gunk. I do like the size and shape of the larger version of the new style as Tim mentioned on the Tatula Elite for example. Fortunately, there are lots of options out there for swapping knobs, which is easy, so it's really not a big deal for me.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:42 pm

The smaller ones I can't stand, my fingers always feel like they are slipping off when reeling. The bigger ones are ok and I kind of like them after getting used to them. If they were 1mm or so thicker I think they would be perfect.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:27 am

Switch both of my alphas SV TW and Zillion SV TW to i-shape knob since I first got it.
Attachments
339204E4-C548-462B-9D69-D9A3A8005C0E.jpeg
339204E4-C548-462B-9D69-D9A3A8005C0E.jpeg (108.36 KiB) Viewed 3959 times

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:53 am

Every reel review for the SLX and Curado K is how much they like the thick knobs. You don't even have to pay attention to know that the US market like big squishy knobs on reels. What does Daiwa do? Put smaller knobs on everything. They even do it to the relaunch of the Tatula CT and everyone complains how they made the knobs worse. Daiwa has people employed to figure this stuff out. How did they manage to mess it up so bad?

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:43 am

I'm a big fan of the big round knobs like the DCH100PAD-G.

I've actually replaced all my Daiwa and Shimano handles with either the PAD-G or Gomexus A27 handles because I prefer the 100mm with the big round knobs.