T-Wing rattle

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

T-Wing rattle

Post by joekaz » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:11 pm

I recently tested my Zillion 10 out fishing bladed jigs. Every time I would sweep the rod to clear weeds. the T-Wing would rattle like crazy.. Talk about annoying. Anybody else noticed this?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: T-Wing rattle

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:51 pm

I own a few reels with the t-wing and have never heard any type of rattle.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:52 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:51 pm
I own a few reels with the t-wing and have never heard any type of rattle.
It must be from the bladed jig making the rod and line vibrate and then transferring it to the T-Wing.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:13 pm

I’ve fished my zillion 10 really hard since right around when it became available from Japan. It gets relentless use with all kinds of moving baits and it’s still tip top other than the knob caps falling off and some reasonable wear to the paint.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:36 am

joekaz wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:11 pm
I recently tested my Zillion 10 out fishing bladed jigs. Every time I would sweep the rod to clear weeds. the T-Wing would rattle like crazy.. Talk about annoying. Anybody else noticed this?
Could you iterate a little more? Are you just seeing the T-wing rattle or hearing/feeling it??? Also what exactly do you mean by sweeping the rod? I could not handle the 9.1 gears, no idea how anyone likes the 10 ratio.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:11 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:36 am
joekaz wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:11 pm
Could you iterate a little more? Are you just seeing the T-wing rattle or hearing/feeling it??? Also what exactly do you mean by sweeping the rod? I could not handle the 9.1 gears, no idea how anyone likes the 10 ratio.
Bit of a hijack, but I love the high ratio reels. It’s become part of my fishing style. Try burning a crank faster than you ever imagined around reluctant fish. Rick Klun has talked about this. They’ll smash it so hard it’s like a fright train. Quick pauses and it’s not much different from a jerkbait bite. The 10 and 9s are perfect for this approach.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:59 am

After fishing a bladed jig with my Zillion again I noticed the handle knobs also rattle when jerking the rod during the retrieve. So half the rattle sound is the T-Wing and half are the knobs. The bladed jig I was using is the Omega Rapture that shakes like crazy on the retrieve but none of my non T-Wing reels make noises when jerking the rod with this lure.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:19 am

When fishing bladed jigs I have always used 6 gear reels for cold or deep water and 7 gear reels for warm or over weed beds. I decided to experiment with the Zillion 10 and it worked better then I thought as I caught a bunch of fish. The cranking power was pretty good and the super high speed was helpful at times. The thing I didn't like was having to turn the handle so slow. I will stick with my slower reels.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:51 pm

I have a couple of Zillion 10 SV that I use regularly. I've burned cranks and spinner baits, thrown buzz baits and ribbit toads (dreams do come true!!), and love throwing a full sized Vixen with this reel. It has been an absolute joy and I've never noticed anything out of the ordinary in terms of noise from the reel. Is it as smooth as a 7:1 Steez A for example? Absolutely not, but the advantages in certain situations far outweigh the disadvantages for me.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

fishingjunkie75
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by fishingjunkie75 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:35 am

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:51 pm
I have a couple of Zillion 10 SV that I use regularly. I've burned cranks and spinner baits, thrown buzz baits and ribbit toads (dreams do come true!!), and love throwing a full sized Vixen with this reel. It has been an absolute joy and I've never noticed anything out of the ordinary in terms of noise from the reel. Is it as smooth as a 7:1 Steez A for example? Absolutely not, but the advantages in certain situations far outweigh the disadvantages for me.
Sorry this might be off the topic: will Tackletrap come up with the USDM brass gear set for this reel soon?