What is up with Daiwa Gear Set pricing?!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

What is up with Daiwa Gear Set pricing?!

Post by SSS » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:50 pm

Has anyone noticed how over the years, the price for a Daiwa gear set has increased exponentially? Like for example, on PLAT, a main gear for the Alphas R Edition is $16.60 and the pinion gear is $7.26. That's a brass pinion gear and an aluminum main gear. Then there's a fast ratio in 6.8, full brass from the Pixy SPR going for $22.83 for the main gear and $22.83 for the pinion gear. TD Zillion 100SH: full brass in 7.1, super smooth and very durable set that goes for $15.57 for the main gear and $15.57 for the pinion gear. Reasonable prices, and in case of the R Edition set, its even very cheap.

THEN we look at newer sets. Millionaire CT SV: $67.47 for the main gear and the exact same $67.47 for the tiny pinion gear :-k Like what? Ryoga1016: $76.79 for the main gear and the same $76.76 for the pinion gear :shock:

What's going on here? People are trying to buy a new gear set, not a Curado K.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What is up with Daiwa Gear Set pricing?!

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:33 am

Yeah I feel the same way, pricing it getting a bit wild. Instead of modifying and adding some custom parts/upgrades, you could just purchase a whole new reel. I added 2 RCS knobs ($42), a 100mm handle ($30), and a Zillion SV TW spool ($70 at the time) to a reel and always wondered if that $142 would have been better served toward an entire new reel rather than parts. Ironically, now that reel is acting up and not even in use...

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:49 am

Planned obsolescence...

But yeh we pay stupid prices for gearsets here in Oz...

Covid tax doesn't help with it all.

Larsey
Angler
Angler

Post by Larsey » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:36 am

Usually when the price is the same for drive gear and pinion it means that it is for the whole gear set.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:19 am

Larsey wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:36 am
Usually when the price is the same for drive gear and pinion it means that it is for the whole gear set.
That would be interesting if its the case. Will send plat a message to ask.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:44 pm

The tackle business isn't immune to the rising costs of everything, so be prepared for price increases and lack of availability. Daiwa at least supports their products and parts longer than most others out there. Those old gear sets have been sitting around for a long time tucked away somewhere, but the new ones still have to be produced today at present material, labor, and shipping costs, which as we all know have increased exponentially. One day, those old gear sets will run out and won't be replaceable, so again, be prepared and stock up if you're a legacy reel user.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:12 am

I been looking into seeing if there is a way to but faster gears in the Millionaire CT. Would the Steez CT gears or the Steez AIR TW gears work??? I guess even the Alphas AIR TW could be close.

I don't have a Millionaire CT to compare or, I would be playing the mix and match game myself.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:01 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:12 am
I been looking into seeing if there is a way to but faster gears in the Millionaire CT. Would the Steez CT gears or the Steez AIR TW gears work??? I guess even the Alphas AIR TW could be close.

I don't have a Millionaire CT to compare or, I would be playing the mix and match game myself.
The Alphas CT gears are the same as the Millionaire CT. That 7.2 gear set is the fastest you can make a Millionaire CT. The new Zillion G, Alphas SV TW and Steez CT gears all swap between each other, but not into the Millionaire CT.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:08 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:01 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:12 am

The Alphas CT gears are the same as the Millionaire CT. That 7.2 gear set is the fastest you can make a Millionaire CT. The new Zillion G, Alphas SV TW and Steez CT gears all swap between each other, but not into the Millionaire CT.
Rats!!! Ok. Thanks for the quick response.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing