Anyone has some experience with '18 Daiwa Ryoga?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
fishingjunkie75
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Anyone has some experience with '18 Daiwa Ryoga?

Post by fishingjunkie75 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:26 am

Amazon Japan is selling this nice little round reel for ~$340, the "Crazy Cranker" version. I don't have much experience with round reels, but itching to try one for spinnerbait/chatterbait/jigs. I searched around Internet, and saw some nice reviews from TT. But I also saw a number of users mentioning an alleged design flaw with the palm side plate locking mechanism, which is only a plastic ring holding the whole side plate to the frame. I wonder if there're any owners here who may share their opinions on this? Thanks!

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone has some experience with '18 Daiwa Ryoga?

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:39 pm

I had initial concern as well but so far no problem. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.
PEACE

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:14 am

I too am thinking of getting one, but not too sure if its worth it. Also strange how Daiwa introduced their micro gears, and abandoned them almost instantly. I think Millionaire CT is the only other reel that uses them?

fishingjunkie75
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by fishingjunkie75 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:12 am

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:39 pm
I had initial concern as well but so far no problem. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.
Thanks! I tend to worry too much sometimes O:) Regarding this side plate issue, another user on BR forum reminded me that sometimes, users tighten the spool tension knob too much, or use it as a cast control knob, even on a zero adjuster. That might weaken the plastic ring lock latch in long term.
SSS wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:14 am
I too am thinking of getting one, but not too sure if its worth it. Also strange how Daiwa introduced their micro gears, and abandoned them almost instantly. I think Millionaire CT is the only other reel that uses them?
Yeah, I think the "Hyper Mesh Gear" was only used on Ryoga so far, not even on Millionaire CT. Cal did a Millionaire CT review and confirmed that:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwajd ... tsv70.html
But so far, I didn't see many Ryoga users complained about that; on the contrary, I saw some owners commented on how smooth it stays in long term. So, I guess those tiny gears teeth held up.
PS: Plat website is selling Millionaire CT on 50% off right now, but only right-handed model.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:22 pm

So only one reel is using Daiwa's micro grears, and might be the last. That's crazy. Finding these in the future will be difficult to say the least.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:10 pm

I have the 18 Ryoga HL in 1016 and 1520.
Really like both of them and can recommend them.
The sideplate is indeed a bit wobbly esp on the 1520, but I have only felt it while pulling on the side plate / toying with the reel - never while fishing.