Compact Baitcasting Reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Compact Baitcasting Reels

Post by goldrod » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:41 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:54 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:10 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:49 pm
I have to disagree with most on here. You NEED the Bantam or Metanium for those lure weights. I have an Alphas that I use with 7lb fluoro (holds a ton of it) and if I bomb a 3/8 or especially 1/2 it will dump the spool. I am sure it would work, but getting on up to 3/4 is a pretty heavy lure. I honestly feel an Alphas or Curado 70 would be somewhat overloaded by a 3/4oz lure. I throw that weight on my Chronarch MGL w/ 14lb fluoro sometimes and it leaves the line pretty low. I just assume at that weight you are using Carolina rigs, big jigs, moderate sized paddletails, etc. I absolutely love my SV105 and plan on purchasing the SV TW version, but those weights seem a bit much for that reel. I think a new Zillion, Bantam, or Metanium would be much better suited. Using lures that heavy with very light braid or light line in general with a small finesse oriented reel is a bad mix.
Yeah, I didn't catch this part of the original post.
Meaning about the lure weights? Now I think I missed something. I always consider and trust a more veteran member than myself, have learned a ton off this website and forum.

People are turned off from the bantam because of weight.
It totally fits the need of the original post but the weight of the reel itself may not be to their liking.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Compact Baitcasting Reels

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:09 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:54 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:10 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:49 pm
I have to disagree with most on here. You NEED the Bantam or Metanium for those lure weights. I have an Alphas that I use with 7lb fluoro (holds a ton of it) and if I bomb a 3/8 or especially 1/2 it will dump the spool. I am sure it would work, but getting on up to 3/4 is a pretty heavy lure. I honestly feel an Alphas or Curado 70 would be somewhat overloaded by a 3/4oz lure. I throw that weight on my Chronarch MGL w/ 14lb fluoro sometimes and it leaves the line pretty low. I just assume at that weight you are using Carolina rigs, big jigs, moderate sized paddletails, etc. I absolutely love my SV105 and plan on purchasing the SV TW version, but those weights seem a bit much for that reel. I think a new Zillion, Bantam, or Metanium would be much better suited. Using lures that heavy with very light braid or light line in general with a small finesse oriented reel is a bad mix.
Yeah, I didn't catch this part of the original post.
Meaning about the lure weights? Now I think I missed something. I always consider and trust a more veteran member than myself, have learned a ton off this website and forum.
Yep. 3/4 isn't ideal for the Alphas CT imo.