BEST reel for weightless fluke

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: BEST reel for weightless fluke

Post by DrPerf » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:24 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:30 pm
Anyone using a Pixy?
I am planning to test this Pixzilla as a weightless fluke reel at my "casting park" tomorrow if the wind dies down a little.
Attachments
Daiwa Airy Red Pixzilla resized.jpg
Daiwa Airy Red Pixzilla resized.jpg (96.82 KiB) Viewed 3033 times

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:14 am

I bet an airy red spool and 20# braid would left one fly. Might be a bit too fast to tame 10# flouro well though.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:25 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:24 pm
goldrod wrote:
Anyone using a Pixy?
I am planning to test this Pixzilla as a weightless fluke reel at my "casting park" tomorrow if the wind dies down a little.
I use alphas SV TW in 15-25mph wind a few days ago. Not a single backlash just some little over run here and there. I didn’t even set the brake any higher than previous day around 6.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:50 pm

Funny this thread emerged because just this summer I was amazed at how well my stock JDM Alphas SV 105SH threw a weightless Zoom Superfluke. I had complete control for accurate casting to nooks and crannies in natural riprap. I hadn't really found a dynamo application for the reel until then. I had it filled with 13# Armilo and used a Loomis IMX CR721 w/Wiebe handle.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:56 pm

I just used the OG cumara 6’8” Med heavy with 10lb test and alphas 103 /cosugi spool and it will launch a zoom fluke like nothing
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:58 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:56 pm
I just used the OG cumara 6’8” Med heavy with 10lb test and alphas 103 /cosugi spool and it will launch a zoom fluke like nothing
Weightless on a MH?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:13 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:58 pm
goldrod wrote:
Weightless on a MH?
Why not?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:55 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:13 pm
LowRange wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:58 pm
goldrod wrote:
Weightless on a MH?
Why not?
I have trouble getting one to load on some M rods. A super fluke is around 1/4 oz.

LuS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LuS » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:11 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:08 pm
I cant imagine a Curado DC being particularly good with a weightless fluke with a 20 gram spool.
I have a broken exsence DC (dc setting adjuster broken at minimum, perhaps worse; bearings are probably crusty too) and it has no trouble going no thumbs with a 3/16 oz spinnerbait (booyah pond magic)… those dc units are not fooling around. A 1/4oz fluke and hook combo won’t push a decent dc unit.
Luca :)

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:15 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:55 pm

I have trouble getting one to load on some M rods. A super fluke is around 1/4 oz.
A Zoom Super with a 3/0 Owner Twistlock weights like 5/16 on the nose, but still not very heavy. I think aerodynamics plays a huge role in the lighter weights. A Trickworm weighs about the same as a Zoom Super, but for me the Super casts very noticeably better on every rod I have thrown them on. I can throw a Super on the same rod I frog with and it casts well enough to not be annoying. A Trickworm on the same rod is a loose-line nightmare.

I have settled on a St Croix Avid AVC62MXF as my ideal Super Fluke rod, it's got a lot of gas in the tank but the tip is light enough to really let me get the lure where I need it when fishing cover edges it's not enough rod to fish in the middle of. Even it struggles with a weightless Trickworm.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:43 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:15 pm
LowRange wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:55 pm

A Zoom Super with a 3/0 Owner Twistlock weights like 5/16 on the nose, but still not very heavy. I think aerodynamics plays a huge role in the lighter weights. A Trickworm weighs about the same as a Zoom Super, but for me the Super casts very noticeably better on every rod I have thrown them on. I can throw a Super on the same rod I frog with and it casts well enough to not be annoying. A Trickworm on the same rod is a loose-line nightmare.

I have settled on a St Croix Avid AVC62MXF as my ideal Super Fluke rod, it's got a lot of gas in the tank but the tip is light enough to really let me get the lure where I need it when fishing cover edges it's not enough rod to fish in the middle of. Even it struggles with a weightless Trickworm.
I'd you want some next level weightless zoom worm action then check this out
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=86754

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:04 pm

DrPerf wrote:
goldrod wrote:
Anyone using a Pixy?
Went out to my "casting park", where I have distances and targets marked, to compare the Alphas SV TW 800XHL and my Airy Red Pixzilla. Both reels were used with a Daiwa Steez AGS Compile X 7'2" 'Moving Bait Versatile'.

The first casting weight was 1/4 oz. (0.250).
(For reference a weightless Zoom Salty Super Fluke weighs 0.282 oz., slightly more than 1/4 oz.)
Alphas SV TW: 100 to 110 feet
Pixzilla: 90 to 100 feet

3/8 oz. (0.375 oz.)
Alphas SV TW: 140-145 feet

1/2 oz. (0.500 oz.)
Alphas SV TW: 175-180 feet

All casts were one-handed casts with moderate effort (smooth motion without "snap" at the end).

I did not test the Pixzilla after 1/4 oz. since it was clear the Alphas was superior with that rod and Alphas SV TW/'Moving Bait Versatile' is the combination I have and will be using for flukes.

Regards,
Doc

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:16 am

DrPerf wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:04 pm
DrPerf wrote:
goldrod wrote:
Anyone using a Pixy?
Went out to my "casting park", where I have distances and targets marked, to compare the Alphas SV TW 800XHL and my Airy Red Pixzilla. Both reels were used with a Daiwa Steez AGS Compile X 7'2" 'Moving Bait Versatile'.

(For reference a weightless Zoom Salty Super Fluke weighs 0.282 oz., slightly more than 1/4 oz.)

3/8 oz. (0.375 oz.)

1/2 oz. (0.500 oz.)

All casts were one-handed casts with moderate effort (smooth motion without "snap" at the end).

I did not test the Pixzilla after 1/4 oz. since it was clear the Alphas was superior with that rod and Alphas SV TW/'Moving Bait Versatile' is the combination I have and will be using for flukes.

Regards,
Doc
A casting weight and bait cast completely different. Also those casting distances are horrific. I can cast 80% of the 20# braid off my Airy Red spool with a 1/10 oz ned head and 3" of cut Hula Stick. That's right at 1/4 oz. I must be getting at least 140 ft. If raw distance is the goal definitely add that snap to the cast and put some speed in those spools. That while palming the reel when casting smooth casting is great for targets but if you want bomb a bait you have to bomb a bait.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:01 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:16 am
DrPerf wrote:
DrPerf wrote:
goldrod wrote:
Anyone using a Pixy?

3/8 oz. (0.375 oz.)

1/2 oz. (0.500 oz.)

Regards,
Doc
A casting weight and bait cast completely different. Also those casting distances are horrific. I can cast 80% of the 20# braid off my Airy Red spool with a 1/10 oz ned head and 3" of cut Hula Stick. That's right at 1/4 oz. I must be getting at least 140 ft. If raw distance is the goal definitely add that snap to the cast and put some speed in those spools. That while palming the reel when casting smooth casting is great for targets but if you want bomb a bait you have to bomb a bait.
I am well aware that casting a lure and a casting weight will likely result in different results. My tests are to establish a “best case”, which will let me know, when using a lure, how close to the “best case” a specific lure is working when casting distance is a factor.

Since you did not state what rod nor reel you were using, it is not possible to compare the distances you state with what I posted. Also, my experience is that most over estimate casting distance when using “Mark 1 eyeball”. That is why have distances measured with an accurate laser rangefinder for my tests.

I have several rods, if paired with the Alphas SV TW, would likely provide additional casting distance. But that was not the purpose of my test. It was to test the specific combination listed in my post.

As far as adding “snap” to the cast, I have found a smooth, consistent motion to be much more efficient when casting lighter weights than a “snap” cast. The speed of my spools/spool bearings is non-issue when casting at any weight. And OBW, I do not palm my reel when casting in any fashion.

Regards,
Doc

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:13 am

DrPerf wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:01 am
LowRange wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:16 am
DrPerf wrote:
DrPerf wrote:
goldrod wrote:
Anyone using a Pixy?

3/8 oz. (0.375 oz.)

1/2 oz. (0.500 oz.)

Regards,
Doc
I am well aware that casting a lure and a casting weight will likely result in different results. My tests are to establish a “best case”, which will let me know, when using a lure, how close to the “best case” a specific lure is working when casting distance is a factor.

Since you did not state what rod nor reel you were using, it is not possible to compare the distances you state with what I posted. Also, my experience is that most over estimate casting distance when using “Mark 1 eyeball”. That is why have distances measured with an accurate laser rangefinder for my tests.

I have several rods, if paired with the Alphas SV TW, would likely provide additional casting distance. But that was not the purpose of my test. It was to test the specific combination listed in my post.

As far as adding “snap” to the cast, I have found a smooth, consistent motion to be much more efficient when casting lighter weights than a “snap” cast. The speed of my spools/spool bearings is non-issue when casting at any weight. And OBW, I do not palm my reel when casting in any fashion.

Regards,
Doc
Very true. I'm going to me parent's acreage to dig potatoes and will bring a few rods to cast out some baits including weightless fluke to get idea of what sort of distances are possible. They have large open areas of land to fire off baits and record distances. Also my gym shoes are exactly 12 in from tip to heel so I can walk out my distances exactly.

This will be fun. Going to use a mix of 20# and 30# braid. The Alphas SV gets 10# flouro. I'm going to throw a weightless fluke, 4 1/4 Stick O, 5 inch
Senko and 1/10 oz ned heads with small floating plastics 3 inches or under.

Reels:
Revo3 Elite with Deez spool and IVCB conversion
Engetsu
Alphas SV with Ray's inductor and spring
Pixy with Airy Red spool
Pixy with Ray's spool
Representing the broke:
Fuego CT with Ray's Long Cast ($115 total reel+spool)
Spartacus with Elf shallow spool ($41 total reel+spool)

Rods:
Volkey BFS 268L
Zodias BFS 1610ML
Fantasista Deez 70MMH MGS whatever that is supposed to mean. It's a long ML.
Laguna 70MFB