BEST reel for weightless fluke

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

BEST reel for weightless fluke

Post by Hennessy » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:20 pm

Recently fished a bfl in which I had to throw a fluke all day. Used a 2020 jdm metanium mgl & I was getting great distance but cast were inconsistent & backlashes was a problem, I do run my reels LOOSE. The 2 reels I’m considering are the Steez sv tw, it’s regular $540 but I can get it for $450. The other reel is the new Zillion sv tw, $300 jdm model. Wondering if the new “sv boost” puts the zillion in the same class(casting wise) as the older Steez model. Using the 1st generation 7’2 poison adrena & the Steez would match pretty good but is the performance worth the extra $150 over the Zillion. Finished in the top 10 in that tourney so I have a lil “house money” to play with. Any other lightweight reels that I should consider?

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: BEST reel for weightless fluke

Post by DrPerf » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:42 pm

For weightless flukes, I have been using an Alphas SV TW 800XHL paired with a Conquest 842C. But currently evaluating a Steez AGS Compile X 7'2" "Moving Bait Versatile" with the Alphas. The Steez will likely replace the Conquest.

The Alphas SV TW is a great reel for casting distance and accuracy. I have a "casting park", with distances and targets marked, where I check out combinations and/or results of my tuning work. The Alphas/Steez combination is casting a 10g plug 175-180' with a moderate one-hand cast consistently with no backlashes or "fluffing" on the spool.

Here is a picture of the Alphas next to one of my Zillions for a size comparison. The Alphas is just as smooth and equals the casting performance of the new Zillion and Steez SV TW.

You can find the Alphas in the $240-S270 range NIB from various Japanese vendors. Paid $242 for mine.

Regards,
Doc
Attachments
Twin Sons.jpg
Twin Sons.jpg (73.33 KiB) Viewed 4801 times

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:16 am

I use a mostly-stock Alphas Finesse Custom, 30lb J-braid to 16lb Sunline FC100 leader. It took me an entire year of fussing with different reels and line combos to settle on it. It's not ideal for how I use a fluke, but it's the best option I have found.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:57 am

I throw mostly Caffine Shads on 12# flouro and they bomb. Flukes are lighter and I prefer those on my Casitas MGL or 34mm Ray's Long Cast spool with 30# braid.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:02 am

DrPerf wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:42 pm
For weightless flukes, I have been using an Alphas SV TW 800XHL paired with a Conquest 842C. But currently evaluating a Steez AGS Compile X 7'2" "Moving Bait Versatile" with the Alphas. The Steez will likely replace the Conquest.

The Alphas SV TW is a great reel for casting distance and accuracy. I have a "casting park", with distances and targets marked, where I check out combinations and/or results of my tuning work. The Alphas/Steez combination is casting a 10g plug 175-180' with a moderate one-hand cast consistently with no backlashes or "fluffing" on the spool.

Here is a picture of the Alphas next to one of my Zillions for a size comparison. The Alphas is just as smooth and equals the casting performance of the new Zillion and Steez SV TW.

You can find the Alphas in the $240-S270 range NIB from various Japanese vendors. Paid $242 for mine.

Regards,
Doc
Interesting. You're the 1st person to say that the new Alphas matches the casting performance of the new Zillion. All that I have heard seems to say that the Alphas TW is still choked off like other non boost SV spools.

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:47 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:02 am
DrPerf wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:42 pm

Regards,
Doc
Interesting. You're the 1st person to say that the new Alphas matches the casting performance of the new Zillion. All that I have heard seems to say that the Alphas TW is still choked off like other non boost SV spools.
Although the alpha doesnt have the sv boost spool, my cast with the alpha is similiar to the zillion. Its not as controlled as the previous sv spools.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:17 pm

Hennessy wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:20 pm
Recently fished a bfl in which I had to throw a fluke all day. Used a 2020 jdm metanium mgl & I was getting great distance but cast were inconsistent & backlashes was a problem, I do run my reels LOOSE. The 2 reels I’m considering are the Steez sv tw, it’s regular $540 but I can get it for $450. The other reel is the new Zillion sv tw, $300 jdm model. Wondering if the new “sv boost” puts the zillion in the same class(casting wise) as the older Steez model. Using the 1st generation 7’2 poison adrena & the Steez would match pretty good but is the performance worth the extra $150 over the Zillion. Finished in the top 10 in that tourney so I have a lil “house money” to play with. Any other lightweight reels that I should consider?
I have been reading this thread and giving it some great consideration.
After much contemplation and my limited experience on the water ( I'm not sure if your throwing the GYMB fluke or zoom but you get far better distance with the GYMB than the zoom ). I can throw a Fluke zoom version with my Pixy and light braid no problem but over all have to say that the Shimano 100MG is really good. And if you wanted to use braid , like the 30lb braid and a yumeya spool the last thing your going to desire is distance.

on the Daiwa Side I would have to say a steez G1 or ZPI PG spool
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Paul Shibata
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Paul Shibata » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:56 pm

I throw weightless flukes all the time for shallow smallies on the St Lawrence. Nothing compares to a DC reel. I'd have a hard time believing any non-dc reel would cast a weightless fluke as far especially if there is any head-wind involved. Based on this get yourself a Curado DC!!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:08 pm

I cant imagine a Curado DC being particularly good with a weightless fluke with a 20 gram spool.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:27 pm

I use a TDZ 105H for flukes and it gets great distance. That being said, my alphas sv tw has become a good distance caster, also. At first, it felt choked off, so I flushed the bearings. The reel has gradually gotten looser and gets great distance now with 3/8 and up. It is my dedicated t-rig reel now.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:11 pm

I've been using the Antares A, MGXtreme 2 and SV Light for weightless flukes over the last year. (Different rods, just depended on the situation). Funnily enough, I just swapped the SV Light for a Steez SV TW, will see how that performs tomorrow. All reels have a reputations for throwing light lures far, it's not a fluke-specific thing. I know the MGXtreme 2 is not everybody's bag because it's Doyo and a bit rattley, but man does it work well for light lures (8g spool), and man does it get great distance (only got beaten by a 2017 Antares in a YT casting test video that I remember). Maybe a dark horse to consider, it looks good on a Poison Adrena.

Something else that's worked well for me is using Strike King Caffeine Shads instead of Zoom Super Flukes, btw. They perform very well in the water but are heavier than the Zoom one (0.42oz vs 0.28oz) and cast farther.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:44 pm

Between the Steez SV TW and the new Zillion, the former is definitely the better option in this scenario imo. The Zillion is better served at 3/8 oz and above imo. The Steez is better controlled, but also opens up quite nicely. If you want a little better consistency and a touch more distance, grab the Zpi Nrc001-m spool down the road.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:11 am

For smaller flukes, the Curado BFS has been pretty nice.

Larger flukes, SV spools are pretty nice. The flukes weight "quite a bit" and get affected by the wind sometimes. SV spools do a good job with wind. The Alphas SV TW has been nice for me tossing larger flukes and other wind catching baits.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:40 am

There are lots of variables here. You can upsize to a heavier hook or heavier bait if wind is a factor. The D-Shad is close to two grams heavier than the Super Fluke, and it will cast better. The D-Shad doesn't have as many color options and isn't as much of a finesse bait as the Super Fluke because it isn't as light and doesn't glide quite so easily. The D-Shad sinks faster. I fish it more like a fast moving senko where i cast it to a target or bait and let it sink for a few seconds and repeat.
With that being said, you had better have a light spool and the right rod throwing something as light as the Super Fluke with a light hook on casting tackle. You will still have backlash problems when the wind flairs up. I throw mine on an SV105HS with a R+ inductor spring that frees it up. A 6'9" to 7' M or ML is the type of rod that I like for tip down presentations with this category of bait. You can get away with a lighter rod if you aren't fishing for bigger fish near cover.
Last edited by toddmc on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:47 am

toddmc wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:40 am
There are lots of variables here. You can upsize to a heavier hook or heavier bait if wind is a factor. The D-Shad is close to two grams heavier than the Super Fluke, and it will cast better. The D-Shad doesn't have as many color options and isn't as much of a finesse bait as the Super Fluke because it isn't as light and doesn't glide quite so easily. The D-Shad sinks faster. I fish it more like a fast moving senko where i cast it to a target or bait and let it sink for a few seconds and repeat.
With that being said, you had better have a light spool and the right rod throwing something as light as the Super Fluke with a light hook on casting tackle. You will still have backlash problems when the wind flairs up. I throw mine on an SV105XS with a R+ inductor spring that frees it up. A 6'9" to 7' M or ML is the type of rod that I like for tip down presentations with this category of bait. You can get away with a lighter rod if you aren't fishing for bigger fish near cover.

The setup is were its at
I believe that my Gen one cumara 7’2” med
And curado 50e is one of the better setups I’ve used
The aldebaran or core 50 should be the same with upgraded bearings
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible