BEST reel for weightless fluke

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: BEST reel for weightless fluke

Post by Hennessy » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:18 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:42 pm
For weightless flukes, I have been using an Alphas SV TW 800XHL paired with a Conquest 842C. But currently evaluating a Steez AGS Compile X 7'2" "Moving Bait Versatile" with the Alphas. The Steez will likely replace the Conquest.

The Alphas SV TW is a great reel for casting distance and accuracy. I have a "casting park", with distances and targets marked, where I check out combinations and/or results of my tuning work. The Alphas/Steez combination is casting a 10g plug 175-180' with a moderate one-hand cast consistently with no backlashes or "fluffing" on the spool.
I ended up getting a good deal on the US Zillion SV TW for a good price, if I’m not satisfied I could sell & not lose much at all, then maybe try the Steez sv tw. Question, do you adjust the “zero adjuster” on your zillion sv tw, LOL?
Here is a picture of the Alphas next to one of my Zillions for a size comparison. The Alphas is just as smooth and equals the casting performance of the new Zillion and Steez SV TW.

You can find the Alphas in the $240-S270 range NIB from various Japanese vendors. Paid $242 for mine.

Regards,
Doc

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:34 pm

I've been fine tuning my weightless, light wire Super Fluke casting setup for quite a while and this is what I have ended up with so far:

7' medium fast OG Kistler Helium LTA rewrapped with semi-micro guides, simple spiral style

OG Steez with original SV105 spool, Ray's Studio orange finesse inductor with a Type R spring, YT Fusion HD+ spool bearings, one drop off TSI321 on each bearing after a good flush

20# Sufix 832, 12# Sniper leader

Zoom Super Fluke on a light wire 3/0 Owner EWG

While I might not be spooling it on every cast, I can say I don't usually find myself longing for more distance. It's also controlled enough that, even with my dummy thumb, I can turn the dial down to 3.5 even into a mild head or cross wind. Recently, I caught a cedar tree on the backswing which means I have respooled :lol: I'm trying out some Berkley 30# X5 to see how I like it. It's a little thinner than Sufix but mostly I'm hoping that it will absorb less water over the course of the day.

Another reel that I thought would be amazingly ideal for weightless flukes is the Alphas CT SV. I have one, I just haven't had the heart to dethrone the OG.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:23 pm

Out of the box, it's Steez CT for me. Alphas CT is definitely impressive as well.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:38 am

adam lancia wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:34 pm
I've been fine tuning my weightless, light wire Super Fluke casting setup for quite a while and this is what I have ended up with so far:

7' medium fast OG Kistler Helium LTA rewrapped with semi-micro guides, simple spiral style

OG Steez with original SV105 spool, Ray's Studio orange finesse inductor with a Type R spring, YT Fusion HD+ spool bearings, one drop off TSI321 on each bearing after a good flush

20# Sufix 832, 12# Sniper leader

Zoom Super Fluke on a light wire 3/0 Owner EWG

While I might not be spooling it on every cast, I can say I don't usually find myself longing for more distance. It's also controlled enough that, even with my dummy thumb, I can turn the dial down to 3.5 even into a mild head or cross wind. Recently, I caught a cedar tree on the backswing which means I have respooled :lol: I'm trying out some Berkley 30# X5 to see how I like it. It's a little thinner than Sufix but mostly I'm hoping that it will absorb less water over the course of the day.

Another reel that I thought would be amazingly ideal for weightless flukes is the Alphas CT SV. I have one, I just haven't had the heart to dethrone the OG.
I'm doing a similar build with one of my Alphas SVs. I've got the Ray's inductor and spring on and going to test it this weekend. I love the skipping ability of the stock SV spool but this one is going to toss light plastics and hard baits around 1/4 oz total weight a lot. Zonda spool was too heavy or something. Stock SV spool is too choked off going for distance. Loved the way the Ray's Alphas spool casted but too little line capacity unless tossing 10# braid. Hoping to make a deep Ray's DIY out of the stock spool. Also have a Type R spring on the way from TTT

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:40 pm

toddmc wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:40 am
There are lots of variables here. You can upsize to a heavier hook or heavier bait if wind is a factor. The D-Shad is close to two grams heavier than the Super Fluke, and it will cast better. The D-Shad doesn't have as many color options and isn't as much of a finesse bait as the Super Fluke because it isn't as light and doesn't glide quite so easily. The D-Shad sinks faster. I fish it more like a fast moving senko where i cast it to a target or bait and let it sink for a few seconds and repeat.
With that being said, you had better have a light spool and the right rod throwing something as light as the Super Fluke with a light hook on casting tackle. You will still have backlash problems when the wind flairs up. I throw mine on an SV105HS with a R+ inductor spring that frees it up. A 6'9" to 7' M or ML is the type of rod that I like for tip down presentations with this category of bait. You can get away with a lighter rod if you aren't fishing for bigger fish near cover.
I'm on your side. Maybe look into the rod or even line first. I toss flukes fairly well, toss the Keitech Shad Impact much better (salted), using 10lb fluoro and a good fast action Medium rod. This thread scares me, I heard the Metanium 2020 was superior to the new Zillion for finesse, might get another Daiwa now...

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:38 pm

DrPerf wrote:
The Alphas SV TW is a great reel for casting distance and accuracy. I have a "casting park", with distances and targets marked, where I check out combinations and/or results of my tuning work. The Alphas/Steez combination is casting a 10g plug 175-180' with a moderate one-hand cast consistently with no backlashes or "fluffing" on the spool.

... The Alphas is just as smooth and equals the casting performance of the new Zillion and Steez SV TW.

I have and use the Alphas SV TW, Steez SV TW (2) and new Zillion (2) and after my cleaning/tuning/re-lubrication 'cycle', each of those reels with the appropriate rod is capable of the casting performance listed above.

My recollection is that the Alphas was casting 1/4 oz. plug 140-150', but I am not 100% certain since I rarely use a lure that light with a baitcaster. But I will go over to my "casting park" and take a few measurements with 1/4 oz. using the following:

-Alphas SV TW 800XHL
--16# YGK G-Soul SS112 Sinking Braid
--12# Seaguar Fluoro Premier Leader

-Conquest 842C (original fluke rod)
-Steez AGS Compile X 7'2" Moving Bait Versatile (new fluke rod)

Regards,
Doc

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:11 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:38 pm
DrPerf wrote:

... The Alphas is just as smooth and equals the casting performance of the new Zillion and Steez SV TW.

I have and use the Alphas SV TW, Steez SV TW (2) and new Zillion (2) and after my cleaning/tuning/re-lubrication 'cycle', each of those reels with the appropriate rod is capable of the casting performance listed above.

My recollection is that the Alphas was casting 1/4 oz. plug 140-150', but I am not 100% certain since I rarely use a lure that light with a baitcaster. But I will go over to my "casting park" and take a few measurements with 1/4 oz. using the following:

-Alphas SV TW 800XHL

Regards,
Doc
Sir,
Are you using braid or mono with the MBV rod?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:52 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:38 am
I'm doing a similar build with one of my Alphas SVs. I've got the Ray's inductor and spring on and going to test it this weekend. I love the skipping ability of the stock SV spool but this one is going to toss light plastics and hard baits around 1/4 oz total weight a lot. Zonda spool was too heavy or something. Stock SV spool is too choked off going for distance. Loved the way the Ray's Alphas spool casted but too little line capacity unless tossing 10# braid. Hoping to make a deep Ray's DIY out of the stock spool. Also have a Type R spring on the way from TTT
I bet that'll work really well! Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:01 am

adam lancia wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:52 am
LowRange wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:38 am
I bet that'll work really well! Looking forward to hearing how you like it.
I've had a Ray's inductor lying around for a long time. I haven't tried it on any of my SV spools, but I will get around to it also. The original Ray's Alpha spool is good though. I had plenty of capacity with 7 and 8 lb. Sniper, but I have never tried 10 lb.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:59 am

goldrod wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:11 pm
DrPerf wrote:

-Alphas SV TW 800XHL

Regards,
Doc
Sir,

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:05 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:59 am
goldrod wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:11 pm
DrPerf wrote:

-Alphas SV TW 800XHL

Regards,
Doc
Sir,
Thanks
Oversight overthinking on my part
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:46 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:40 pm
toddmc wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:40 am
There are lots of variables here. You can upsize to a heavier hook or heavier bait if wind is a factor. The D-Shad is close to two grams heavier than the Super Fluke, and it will cast better. The D-Shad doesn't have as many color options and isn't as much of a finesse bait as the Super Fluke because it isn't as light and doesn't glide quite so easily. The D-Shad sinks faster. I fish it more like a fast moving senko where i cast it to a target or bait and let it sink for a few seconds and repeat.
With that being said, you had better have a light spool and the right rod throwing something as light as the Super Fluke with a light hook on casting tackle. You will still have backlash problems when the wind flairs up. I throw mine on an SV105HS with a R+ inductor spring that frees it up. A 6'9" to 7' M or ML is the type of rod that I like for tip down presentations with this category of bait. You can get away with a lighter rod if you aren't fishing for bigger fish near cover.
I'm on your side. Maybe look into the rod or even line first. I toss flukes fairly well, toss the Keitech Shad Impact much better (salted), using 10lb fluoro and a good fast action Medium rod. This thread scares me, I heard the Metanium 2020 was superior to the new Zillion for finesse, might get another Daiwa now...
Well the zoom super fluke is what’s definitely preferred on my blueback herring lakes. I also have the jdm Metanium which I think has the 70 size spool. 7’2M 1st generation Adrena & 12lb Sunline Sniper is my setup w/ a swivel. I got the new US Zillion at a good price, came in the mail today. Right out of the box, I was surprised how smooth is was compared to the Metanium. I’ll give it a full test Sat using same rod/line/fluke as the Metanium, I do plan on adjusting the “zero adjuster”, lol. I ran the Metanium with 2 brakes on & dial between 4-6. Ive never had any issues with any baits with the jdm Metaniums & usually receive lots of praise from boaters on casting distance.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:03 am

Ditch the 12# sniper. I throw my caffeine Shads on a 7'2" M Zodias with a old Tatula Type R with a Ray's Long Cast spool (distance tuned Chinese SV spool) and it does great with weightless caffeine shads but the 12# flouro sucks with weightless flukes. I use my Casitas MGL witb 20# braid on a ML XF to bomb weightless flukes. It want to throw a fluke on the 72M Zodias and Tatula combo then I need a 1/16 oz weighted hook to match unweighted caffeine shad distances. I would switch to braid on what you have with a flouro leader and maybe even step down a power with the rod.
Last edited by LowRange on Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:06 am

Please don't apply any spool tension to the Zillion. They made the dial hard to turn can called it a zero adjuster for a reason. It's to stop guys from cranking down on it and ruining the casting distance and then complaining to Daiwa like something is wrong. Every reel I own except my Zillion HLC is set up with no spool tension and then that knob never gets touched again.
Last edited by LowRange on Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:45 pm

A differing view: A 902 Conquest or 902 NRX spin with a 4000 Exsence and braid will put a fluke into orbit. But I realize smallmouth guys are wired differently at times.