2020 Metanium MGL Brake Settings

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

2020 Metanium MGL Brake Settings

Post by Salty Parrot » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:43 pm

What brake settings do you guys use for your Metanium 2020 MGL. I was fishing the other day and I was using 2 blocks on 2 blocks off and the external dial at 2-4. When it turned dark I started backlashing alot more. Kinda makes me miss Daiwas SV reels.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2020 Metanium MGL Brake Settings

Post by i_am_R2 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:49 pm

I have mine set with 4 blocks on and dial set at 2. With this I can cast as far or further than other reels on the same rod and seem to get great distance and control. Don't need to fiddle with it when changing lures or anything too. Any blocks off then I tend to backlash quite a bit. Of course I wouldn't say I have the best thumb either :lol:
Last edited by i_am_R2 on Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:17 pm

Salty Parrot wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:43 pm
What brake settings do you guys use for your Metanium 2020 MGL. I was fishing the other day and I was using 2 blocks on 2 blocks off and the external dial at 2-4. When it turned dark I started backlashing alot more. Kinda makes me miss Daiwas SV reels.
My lighter baits are usually thrown with 4 brakes on.

My medium/heavy baits are thrown 2 on 2 off.

Like others have states, even with 4 brakes on, I can cast lighter stuff further than all my other reels.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:29 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:17 pm
Salty Parrot wrote:

Like others have states, even with 4 brakes on, I can cast lighter stuff further than all my other reels.
Do you still think it would out cast the Zillion SVTW 1000 or old one? Or do you think it is your specific rod/line setup? I know my Alphas technically casts ultra finesse best, but it is on a ML rod with 7lb FC Sniper...

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:15 pm

I suspect the brake settings vary a lot with the used line and gear, here’s my take:
M power rod, size 1.0 PE 8 braid, 70 sized spool - 2 brakes on, 2-3 on the dial. No spool tension. I can throw down to tiny 65 jerkbaits like a Rozante or Pointer like that taking my thumb off the spool completely, only stopping it in the very end.
Exact same setting if I‘m using straight 10lb Sunline Assassin FC for little jigs and free rigs, which really surprised me. I thought I’d need to go up in brakes but no, that’s only the case for those little hardbaits + then it’s handled by the dial only. Casts carefree like it was a Daiwa :D
Side note: if I turn the dial up more than needed, let’s say a 3 instead of a 2 for a given bait, I feel like I’m loosing significant distance already.

What changes for you in the dark?

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:00 pm

Unable to see my lure hit the water lol
dennis_rf wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:15 pm
I suspect the brake settings vary a lot with the used line and gear, here’s my take:
M power rod, size 1.0 PE 8 braid, 70 sized spool - 2 brakes on, 2-3 on the dial. No spool tension. I can throw down to tiny 65 jerkbaits like a Rozante or Pointer like that taking my thumb off the spool completely, only stopping it in the very end.
Exact same setting if I‘m using straight 10lb Sunline Assassin FC for little jigs and free rigs, which really surprised me. I thought I’d need to go up in brakes but no, that’s only the case for those little hardbaits + then it’s handled by the dial only. Casts carefree like it was a Daiwa :D
Side note: if I turn the dial up more than needed, let’s say a 3 instead of a 2 for a given bait, I feel like I’m loosing significant distance already.

What changes for you in the dark?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:13 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:29 pm
CFDoc wrote:
Salty Parrot wrote:

Do you still think it would out cast the Zillion SVTW 1000 or old one? Or do you think it is your specific rod/line setup? I know my Alphas technically casts ultra finesse best, but it is on a ML rod with 7lb FC Sniper...
I would think that depends on your casting technique. Are you naturally a long bomber that whips it hard and fast and sends baits flying or do you palm the reel when casting and toss baits more gently? Do you cast like The Reel Test (bootytrain) or copycat site (scooby)? All my centrifugal reels handle hard bomb casts well but are less stellar at gently tossing baits. My SV and fixed inductor spools do well gently tossing baits but not so much when bombing and over brake at the end of the cast in comparison to my centrifugal reels.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:36 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:13 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
CFDoc wrote:
Salty Parrot wrote:

I would think that depends on your casting technique. Are you naturally a long bomber that whips it hard and fast and sends baits flying or do you palm the reel when casting and toss baits more gently? Do you cast like The Reel Test (bootytrain) or copycat site (scooby)? All my centrifugal reels handle hard bomb casts well but are less stellar at gently tossing baits. My SV and fixed inductor spools do well gently tossing baits but not so much when bombing and over brake at the end of the cast in comparison to my centrifugal reels.
I do both lol

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:10 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:13 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
CFDoc wrote:
Salty Parrot wrote:

I'm not sure how I cast, but I know I prefer the gentle whip with an SV. When I use my Chronarch MGL (only centrifugal brake reel), I bomb HARD. I just wondered if the Metanium was capable of bombing hard with lighter lures. A few on here had mentioned it was better than the new Zillion for light lures is what had me asking.