Metanium MGL vs Curado MGL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Metanium MGL vs Curado MGL

Post by Marcos82 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:32 am

Hi guys,
I am checking the specs of the Metanium MGL 2020 and the Curado MGL on Shimanos website and they look pretty similar. Both have:

Same line capacity
Same weight(Metanium weights 0.2 less)
Cl4+
Cross carbon drag
KGN body
MGL spool
Micro module gears
S3D spool
SVS infinity breaks
S A-RB
Silent tune
Super Free Spool
X-Ship

Only differences I see are:

Advantage Metanium: 10+1 bearing count vs. 6+1 of the Curado.
Advantege Curado: 13 LB drag pressupre vs. 11LB of the Metanium.

In addition I saw in the internet(The Reel Test) that the new Metanium 2020 spool weight 14 grams vs the 12.9 grams of the new Curado MGL.

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME IF THERE ARE ANY OTHER DIFFERENCS I DONT SEE, FOR WHICH ANYONE SHOULD BUY THE 400USD METANOUM OVER THE 200USD CURADO MGL?

Regards

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Metanium MGL vs Curado MGL

Post by Cal » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:06 am

The latest Metanium: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimano ... gl150.html

Has a different frame design than the Curado MGL 150 and is made in Japan vs Malaysia for the Curado. The Curado is a good value, no doubt, but the Metanium will be a little more refined. I don't have this Curado, but I do have the Scorpion MGL (http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanoscorpionmgl.html) and much prefer my Metanium to that reel, however, I have the JDM Metanium and I think like capacity is not the same. I think the spool is more shallow in the JDM version. I could be wrong. too many reels, so difficult to keep track these days :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

TNBankFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by TNBankFishing » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:56 pm

Cal wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:06 am
The latest Metanium: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimano ... gl150.html

Has a different frame design than the Curado MGL 150 and is made in Japan vs Malaysia for the Curado. The Curado is a good value, no doubt, but the Metanium will be a little more refined. I don't have this Curado, but I do have the Scorpion MGL (http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanoscorpionmgl.html) and much prefer my Metanium to that reel, however, I have the JDM Metanium and I think like capacity is not the same. I think the spool is more shallow in the JDM version. I could be wrong. too many reels, so difficult to keep track these days :lol:
Spool capacity is lower on the JDM models but everything else is the same. I believe it’s 100 vs 150 size, they are both very narrow spools.

Comparing the solid core body of the Met to a metal frame Curado is apples to oranges. I agree with Cal, the Curado is a great value but the Met is elite.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:35 pm

Thank you for the sanity check TNB 👊
Cal, Managing Editor

Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Marcos82 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:40 pm

So, core solid and I guess the better quality of the components give the Metanium a more solid and quality feel.Thanks guys

Would be nice to see a casting contest between these 2 reels...

filthyPhil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by filthyPhil » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:46 pm

Been my experience you can't go wrong with any MGL reel. I have the Met20 and Bantam. If your budget only allows for the Curado I'm sure it will do almost everything a Met will but will be slightly less fancy.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:55 am

Pretty sure casting will be comparable... it's more about ease by which you can make a cast with MGL than pure distance. At least for me. Same goes with Daiwa's SV system. Minimal effort = excellent casting performance.
Cal, Managing Editor

Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Marcos82 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:59 pm

filthyPhil wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:46 pm
I'm sure it will do almost everything a Met will but will be slightly less fancy.
I think this is the best definition to my question =D> :D