2.5Oz swimbait reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

2.5Oz swimbait reel

Post by Fran87 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:29 am

Hello Sirs,

I'm looking for a nice Swimbait reel for my second swimbait setup. I'd like to say that line capacity is'nt so important for me as average swimbaiter user. I don't need to do long casts just because I'll use it in a system river and I will use 18lb fluoro.

The intended ranger lure will be 2/ 2-1/2oz and rarely I'll throw 3oz.

I have 3 options in mind:

-NEW 21 Calcuta conquest 101HG

-Daiwa Steez A HLC 7.1

-Daiwa Morethan 7.1

The rod is a GRAN COBRA RS.

I'll appreciate if your could help me.

Thanks!!!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2.5Oz swimbait reel

Post by Cal » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:41 am

Depending on the manufacturer you choose, #18 fluoro can still be pretty thick. I'd be concerned with capacity on a 100 sized reel. I think a 150 or so would be a better choice with something like the Bantam MGL.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:39 am

Cal wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:41 am
Depending on the manufacturer you choose, #18 fluoro can still be pretty thick. I'd be concerned with capacity on a 100 sized reel. I think a 150 or so would be a better choice with something like the Bantam MGL.
Came on Carl Let me know in your opinion which one of those would be better option according to my purpose... maybe I'll use 16lb...

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:55 am

Fran87 wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:39 am
Cal wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:41 am
Came on Carl Let me know in your opinion which one of those would be better option according to my purpose... maybe I'll use 16lb...
In lieu of "Carl's"response and based on the additional information you provided... You can take the HLC out of the question, it is not designed for short casts, it's pretty much a hail mary spool.
The Morethan is designed for PE, which doesn't mean you couldn't use fluoro, but I don't think this reel is as stout as a Calcutta.
All things considered, I would go with the Calcutta. Probably only get 60-70 meters of 18lb fluro on it, but it sounds like that is all you need.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:33 pm

Have you considered the Steez A? It will hold as much (or more) line as the Conquest, plus it will palm better and is quite a bit lighter.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:45 pm

As mentioned, definitely don't get the Steez HLC. It's designed for bombing compact lures from 1/2-2oz (for which I like it quite a bit), but it'll give you headaches with bigger, helicoptering lures or on shorter casts.

I run a morethan on my small glidebait setup - Gantarel Jr, 6" trash fish, 168 SWavers etc. I think it does an excellent job for that and feels like the right balance of sturdy-while-palmable. I don't know if I'd regularly want to throw glides beyond the 168/178 mark and over 1 1/2oz on it TBH. I use braid-to-leader and the morethan is marketed as a PE reel, but it could probably do 16-18lbs fluoro, as well.

For those larger baits (200+ glides) I use a 200 reel (currently a simple Tatula 200 on a Destroyer Mark 48). IMO the morethan would feel a bit undersized on that combo, but I dunno what kinds of 2-3oz lures you're planning on throwing.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:54 pm

Daiwa Zillion HD TW 8-)

casterus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by casterus » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:00 pm

^
Trust this guy. He knows what he is saying 😁

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fran87 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:37 pm

Drakestar wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:45 pm
As mentioned, definitely don't get the Steez HLC. It's designed for bombing compact lures from 1/2-2oz (for which I like it quite a bit), but it'll give you headaches with bigger, helicoptering lures or on shorter casts.

I run a morethan on my small glidebait setup - Gantarel Jr, 6" trash fish, 168 SWavers etc. I think it does an excellent job for that and feels like the right balance of sturdy-while-palmable. I don't know if I'd regularly want to throw glides beyond the 168/178 mark and over 1 1/2oz on it TBH. I use braid-to-leader and the morethan is marketed as a PE reel, but it could probably do 16-18lbs fluoro, as well.

For those larger baits (200+ glides) I use a 200 reel (currently a simple Tatula 200 on a Destroyer Mark 48). IMO the morethan would feel a bit undersized on that combo, but I dunno what kinds of 2-3oz lures you're planning on throwing.
Thanks for your feedback Drakestar.

What ratio are you using with Morethan? I currently own a Morethan 8.6 which I only use it for frogging I know that gears are tougher than 7.1 but it is too fast for my style swimbait fishing even with glide baits...

My primary swimbaits are: FLT garison , Silent killer and Slide Swimmer 115/145 , EG ESDRIVE, Tiny Klash , Gan craft 178... this kind and size of lures, rarely I'll throw a Silent Killer 175 or bigger but I'd like to no destroy the reel If one day I want to do it without to have to buy another reel...

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:33 pm

The Z

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:45 pm

I use a Zillion HD. The T wing really helps with thick non braid.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:02 pm

Fran87 wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:37 pm
Drakestar wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:45 pm

Thanks for your feedback Drakestar.

What ratio are you using with Morethan? I currently own a Morethan 8.6 which I only use it for frogging I know that gears are tougher than 7.1 but it is too fast for my style swimbait fishing even with glide baits...

My primary swimbaits are: FLT garison , Silent killer and Slide Swimmer 115/145 , EG ESDRIVE, Tiny Klash , Gan craft 178... this kind and size of lures, rarely I'll throw a Silent Killer 175 or bigger but I'd like to no destroy the reel If one day I want to do it without to have to buy another reel...
Yeah, I have the lower gear ratio one with aluminum gears. Can't say much about durability because I've only had it for one season, but even without brass gears the reel feels sturdy, powerful and not at all grindy so far. The Tiny Klash clocks in around 2oz according to my scale, Silent Killer 175 at 2.43oz - that's probably the max I'd want to throw on the morethan, and I might not try to bomb them. But I suspect it can handle 3oz if asked to, especially if you're expecting to make short casts.

I usually stop around ~1.6oz (Gantarel Jr weight) for anything that I want to cast as far as I can. For anything above, the Zillion HD mentioned by multiple people does sound like the next logical step up the Daiwa ladder.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:22 am

I should have also mentioned the Ryoga 1520 are very nice as well. I have relegated those to my mid-range which is write about the way you've mentioned 2.5oz. Right now I have them on my bottom bouncing soft plastic duties.

I have been using my zillion HDs so much more as I like the handle that comes with them.

Both platforms are super versatile deep enough spools for that thicker weird stuff :P I like to use straight braid :big grin: my reservoirs are deep and generally stained and I do a lot of fishing at night butobviously not so much during this time but still during the day I run straight braid as we don't get much coverage anymore so I don't really believe fish are line shy around these parts.

I will say this though Ryoga platform is one of the smoothest =D> .....like Butter baby!

I don't believe you can go wrong with any of the platforms mention though in this post good luck and I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you pick up and more than likely lead to more which is usually customary here 8-)

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:26 am

Side note both platforms I mentioned I would not hesitate to even go in the 4 oz plus mark as they are both very sturdy I've tested the Ryoga and slung the Balam 245mm which is ever so close to 4oz and the Gan Craft JC230s which hovers right around that mark 8-)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:39 am

Cristo wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:26 am
Side note both platforms I mentioned I would not hesitate to even go in the 4 oz plus mark ...
I'm sure I've thrown heavier on my Ryoga. I am not one who subscribes to the theory reels have limits as to what they can cast. They are in freespool during a cast, so there is no stress on internals. The only limitations I see are with line capacity. Heavier baits usually mean thicker diameter fishing lines to lower risk of break offs. Thicker diameter fishing lines means you need higher capacity reels which usually means bigger reels.

Braid helps to mitigate these factors.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"