Jerkbait spool shootout

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Jerkbait spool shootout

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:30 pm

Ok so I did a quick test this weekend to see which reel and spool would go on a future dedicated jerkbait rod. Obviously I would have to match the rod and reel colors and the reels in question are Alphas SV with Zonda spool, and Steez LTD with 1010 spool and an Amo Long Cast fixed inductor. The green tones of the Steez LTD would look great on a Levante and the silver of the Alphas would be best on an Orochi xx. Obviously. Standing in for the Steez LTD is an SS SV. I was throwing my prefer jerkbait which is a Rapala Shadow Rap. It's not the most easy to bomb jerkbait out there with fixed weight but it catches me fish.

1010 spool with 10# flouro
Momo fixed inductor with 40# braid and IS73 magnets
Zonda spool with 30# braid

Long story short the 1010 spool destroyed the other two spools. It's a fast long bomber of a spool that sent the Shado Rap 122 ft consistently. The other two spools struggled to hit 110 ft.

The Amo as a fixed inductor is an easy casting spool but hard casts trying to bomb it makes you turn up the dial to stop blowups but then make the spool feel overbraked at the end of the cast. This this one it's better to run the dial lower and make smooth casts. Going to make this one a light plastics spool. Its light and fast when tossing to shore. A hard casting long bomber it is not.

The Zonda spool is a mystery. It feels and looks like an Alphas HLC with a stiff spring and tapered inductor but it super fast mid cast and seems over braked at the end of the cast. Its not a bad spool but is somewhat ordinary in performance. Not sure what to do with this one. Just going to keep it for the resale of my Zonda Rosso.

1010 spool. This one is a rocket with 1/2 oz. Shallow but fast spool. Almost too shallow though and I was nearly emptying it with a not so great casting jerkbait and 10# flouro.

Gents we have a winner.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211010-165329_Gallery_copy_528x852.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-165329_Gallery_copy_528x852.jpg (65.89 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Jerkbait spool shootout

Post by goldrod » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:11 pm

Good information Sir.

Thanks for posting your results. I just picked up an alphas reel and I have the consugi spool in hand awaiting that marriage to see how I like it.

The 1010 spool does so much and every since I brought my first one I had been picking them up. I just sold one but have two more left. One is in a SV103xs reel. It’s fast ,, fast and makes pitching so effortlessly.

Maybe I failed to read it but which Zonda did you acquire the spool from
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:39 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:11 pm
Good information Sir.

Thanks for posting your results. I just picked up an alphas reel and I have the consugi spool in hand awaiting that marriage to see how I like it.

The 1010 spool does so much and every since I brought my first one I had been picking them up. I just sold one but have two more left. One is in a SV103xs reel. It’s fast ,, fast and makes pitching so effortlessly.

Zonda Rosso.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:47 pm

While i do agree that the 1010 is one of the better long range casting spools for Daiwa, i wouldn't agree about the Zonda spool. This is the first year that i've been using one in my alphas ito, and i prefer it over all non bfs spools for the alphas platform. Was using it against a met dc, on the same rod and the same #20 jbraid, and ifit lost to the met dc in distance, i couldn't have been more than 2-3feet, which is nothing worth even mentioning. The stock alphas SV spool wasn't anywhere near close to the other two. And btw, are you certain that the spring you have on your zonda spool is original? This is a Type R tuned inductor. They come with the softest springs that i am aware of (maybe SV spring is softer, not sure), and it is very soft on mine.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:23 pm

Mine is pretty stiff. I don't think it can even beat a Tatula in distance with a jerkbait.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:18 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:23 pm
Mine is pretty stiff. I don't think it can even beat a Tatula in distance with a jerkbait.
Try a soft spring from an R or an R+ spool if you currently own any.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:23 pm

SSS wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:18 pm
LowRange wrote:
I have an R spring on the way actually. I have it coming to speed up a slow SV spool with their super soft springs. What advantage would swapping in a softer spring afford when trying to make a spool cast further?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:58 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:23 pm
SSS wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:18 pm
LowRange wrote:
I have an R spring on the way actually. I have it coming to speed up a slow SV spool with their super soft springs. What advantage would swapping in a softer spring afford when trying to make a spool cast further?
The inductor will be in the fully extended position for a much longer duration, applying more braking force throughout the cast. This will allow you to set your brakes a bit lower, but at the same time, because the inductor is thin and tapered, it will not overbrake in its long fully extended position like a standard MagZ spool would with an R or R+ soft spring.

I actually did test a very stiff spring from the T3 ballistic on the steez103 spool using it inside my td ito last year. The performance was attrocious. Completely uncontrollable by the end of the cast, and way too wild mid cast.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:14 pm

Well the R+ inductor for here. A few things

The stock Zonda spool spring is very soft. I thought it was stiff but that is due to how hard it is to tug at the inductor with the raised lip of the spool around the inductor and the tapered inductor edge. You slip while grabbing at it with your finger tips and this gives the impression that it is stiffer than it really is. It is very soft but maybe not as soft as an SV spool

The R+ is way stiffer but maybe not quite HLC stiff.

The stock spring had two spring retainer plates stacked on top of each other

The R+ spring in a Zonda spool does turn it into an Alphas HLC spool. I installed the spring and only one spring plate and went off to the dock to fire off some casts with 30# braid and a 3/8 oz squarebill on a M rod. The spool brakes just fine when centrifugal forces extend the inductor and get reall fast and free at the end of the cast. It's a speedy one. I was actually getting fluff at the end of the cast when bombing like I do my Shimanos but at higher mag dial settings it is more Daiwa like in handling the wind. I like it a lot so far. I'm a little concerned how it might handle flouro but I have other spools if the need arises. I wanted a long bomber Alphas spool and got it. I couldnt pace out the distance but at 64 cranks of the handle on a long cast to recover the bait on a 33mm spool reel with 7 something ratio then it must be tossing a 3/8 squarebill a little over 40 yards.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:33 am

Going of the TT review of the Alphas SV that reel has a 24" IPT. So at 63 cranks of handle my Alphas SV wirh R+ Zonda spool was throwing a 3/8 oz Berkey Squarebull 5.5 42 yards. Not all dispensed line = casting distance but that is still a significant improvement over the stock spring. This was only a few casts on about stop on the way to the gym.
I think there is more room here for distance. On the same rod with the same spool and line in the same reel but with the stock soft spring it wouldn't reach that with a heavier 7/16 oz Shadow Rap. I was getting maybe 35 yards. Going to put this one a Combat Stick 71M for squarebill duty.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:41 am

goldrod wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:11 pm
Good information Sir.

Honestly if you like pitching then consider one of the fixed inductor spools like the ZPI, Amo and Ray's Long Cast fixed inductor. They are very light weight and already have the thin indictors out and in the magnets ready to brake and are very consistent and easy pitching spools. I've pitched a lot with these fixed inductors and 1010 and much prefer the fixed inductors. They are fast and free pitching and roll casting machines. The hard long bomb casts they dont do so well on. No surprise here but the non linear braking spools that use centrifugal forces to increase braking then reduce it at the end of the cast are more friendly to hard bombing of 1/2 oz+ compact baits.