Bantam MGL vs Zillion SVTW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Bantam MGL vs Zillion SVTW

Post by Firstoutfisher » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:56 pm

So just got my zillion sv tw in and it feels super well made but I'm not crazy about the size/feeling when palming. Palms almost identically to my tatula SVTW. I got my hands on a metanium in store the other day and I loved the ergonomics of it. You can get the bantam MGL from digitaka for $60 less than what I paid for the zillion. I am contemplating returning it and grabbing a bantam(I've heard they are similar size to metanium). This reel is going on an all around 6'10 medium heavy rod. I will probably be tossing lures from .5 to 1 oz, using 12-15lb tatsu. Performance wise what will the difference be between these reels in those weight ranges? I do enjoy the convenience of the externally adjustable magnetic brake and have heard the sideplate on the bantam is a pita which might come into play on the kayak when switching lures. I'm just not sure if its worth $60 more and a reel that isn't comfortable for my tiny hands.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bantam MGL vs Zillion SVTW

Post by Cal » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:03 pm

At your intended lure weight application, I'm not sure you'll feel much difference between all three reels... current model Zillion/Bantam/Metanium ...

The Bantam sideplate can be difficult to remove, however, both the Bantam and Metanium have an external dial for fine tuning of the casting brakes similar to the Zillion. I feel the Metanium and Bantam palm the same, but Zander feels they are different, so it might be a good idea to see if you can find a Bantam to play around with to make sure you're ok with the ergonomics.

Note, Zander preferred the Bantam last I recall.

That being said, I find the Zillion palms fine too, so maybe my hands are simply larger than yours. Always the best bet to see if you can find a place that has the reel for you to handle before you purchase.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Bantam MGL vs Zillion SVTW

Post by Firstoutfisher » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:42 am

Thanks for the rundown cal. I decided to keep the zillion just to have it to compare to other reels. Plus I really want to see how it casts. :lol: Its not going on a dedicated topwater rod so ergonomics aren't as important. I am just going to have to get a met,bantam,or pro TI for my otomat. Got the zillion on a rebellion 610mhrb