Stella FJ vs Exist LT Shootout

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Stella FJ vs Exist LT Shootout

Post by zelmo » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:40 am

I have read Cal's writeup of the comparison he did between these two reels. I was hoping someone could give me guidance since I am looking at smaller sizes than were used in the shootout.

I am going to get a 2000 size reel to throw light (3 grams) baits on a ML 7' rod. I see Daiwa has a designated FC JDM model but the Stella specs don't look too far off. Does changing from the 3000 size reels reviewed to the 2000 size (and the FC model) change anything covered in the article other than the knobs?

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Stella FJ vs Exist LT Shootout

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:06 am

Is there a reason why you want a 2000 sized reel? The larger spool diameters offer a lot of benefit and there’s not much different in weight with the 3000 sized reels if you go the Exist route. I had a 3000 sized Stella and own a couple of Exists. I liked the Exists better.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:10 pm

It’s just my preference to use a smaller reel on lighter power rods. Throughout the different sizes the spool diameter is a little bigger on the Exist than the Stella, so maybe advantage Daiwa? Unfortunately I don’t have a store near me that carries either so I can’t handle.

Mind sharing why you like the Exist better?

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:11 pm

I prefer small reels also.
All my spinning reels are 2500 size or smaller. Most are 1000 or 2000 size.
I also feel the Exist is a better reel than the Stella. At least for bass fishing anyway.
It feels more finesse and lighter in the hand. The Stella feels more robust and heavy duty.
Daiwa has the FC "Finesse Custom" versions for lighter bass applications.
Shimano has the C "compact" versions, which is smaller body also.
I haven't measured the spools but they seem close in diameter. I dont think it's a big enough difference to make much difference between the two brands.
I use both brands but most of my spinning reels are daiwa. Daiwa reels are lighter in weight but dont feel as solid as the shimano's.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:18 am

zelmo wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:10 pm
It’s just my preference to use a smaller reel on lighter power rods. Throughout the different sizes the spool diameter is a little bigger on the Exist than the Stella, so maybe advantage Daiwa? Unfortunately I don’t have a store near me that carries either so I can’t handle.

Mind sharing why you like the Exist better?
The Exists fishes better. It's lighter and just as refined.