Alphas HLC (how to make one)

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Alphas HLC (how to make one)

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:49 pm

Because they don't actually exist.

Step 1: buy a Zonda spool

Step 2: buy the "TDZ Type R plus inductor spring" from The Tackle Trap

Step 3: install

I firmly believe the spring TTT is selling is actually an HLC spring. Mine at least is much much stiffer than my Type R plus spring in my TDZ Type R+ spool. It is identical from what I can tell from my TD Zillion HLC spool spring with tugging on the inductor. Once installed my Zonda spool acts like a 33mm TD Zillion HLC spool. Its actually a little faster when the inductor seats do to what I assume is the more aggressive taper on the Zonda inductor.

It is so similar to the HLC infact that I run the Alphas HLC with a bit of spool tension to help keep it under control. On the TD Zillion HLC I run in the IP68 I use 10 clicks more tension than what is needed to eliminate side to side play. That's enough to make a 11/16 frog consume all the #50 braid on a cast without even trying and the dial on the middle. The 1st outing with the new Alphas HLC produced similar results. I had the spool tension set with a tiny but of play as I do with normal not insane Daiwa spools and at mid dial on a hard cast the spool behaved well until that inductor seated and it went free spool and backlashed at the end of nearly every cast. I brought the dial up to near max and that helped with taming the spool at the end of the cast but choked off the speed. Instead I brought in some spool tension and went back down to mid dial and was firing off 60+ yard casts of a rattle trap on a glass rod without really trying. Without a clicker on the Alphas I can't say how much spool tension I am using but comparing it to my TD Zillion HLC spool they both free spool for the same time when flicked and the dial us set to zero. Neither have impressive free spool the way they are set up but on the water they are both achieving impressive distance. Both are fast enough that I would consider them braid only spools and to be used boming compact baits.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas HLC (how to make one)

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:59 pm

I'll also add that the stock Zonda spring is identical to my TDZ Type R+ spring on my Type R+ spool. I like that spool but I did not like the Zonda spool stock. It always felt over braked at the end of the cast for a Magforce Z spool with a tapered inductor and backing off on the mag dial to compensate for this just made it blow up instead. Now with the "Type R plus spring" that I am certain is actually an HLC spring the spool is a long bomber of compact or weight transfering baits.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:04 am

Do you still use your thumb when you cast?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:04 am

mark poulson wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:04 am
At the end I ride my thumb tip on the spool to control any fluff. This spool like my TD Zillion HLC spool will burn that tip though. I really dont use thumb to control the spool early in the cast unless it is a slow spool like the SV or rays spools. These two move so fast that it is impossible to react that quickly I have found. I get to glance down at the spool just as the inductor seats and watch fluff start to form as the bait sails away. It's like in under a second after release the bait is gone and the inductor has seated and we are on free spool. Its actually more extreme in the Alphas spool than in the TD Zillion HLC spool. I believe this is due to the more aggressively tapered inductor on the Zonda spool. With no spool tension the transition from breaking to not was jarring and was almost causing spool stoppages. Even with a bit of spool tension both spools free spool longer than any SV I have with zero spool tension. SV spools are just different animals and the opposite of free spinning.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:22 pm

Worst thing about this post is I had forgotten that the tackle trap carries this spring and when I bought one for my coastal sv it was the last one in stock. This post reminded me and the lightbulb went on and I wanted to get a type r+ spring for my alphas sv105 and once again they are out of stock :crying:

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:44 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:04 am
mark poulson wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:04 am
At the end I ride my thumb tip on the spool to control any fluff. This spool like my TD Zillion HLC spool will burn that tip though. I really dont use thumb to control the spool early in the cast unless it is a slow spool like the SV or rays spools. These two move so fast that it is impossible to react that quickly I have found. I get to glance down at the spool just as the inductor seats and watch fluff start to form as the bait sails away. It's like in under a second after release the bait is gone and the inductor has seated and we are on free spool. Its actually more extreme in the Alphas spool than in the TD Zillion HLC spool. I believe this is due to the more aggressively tapered inductor on the Zonda spool. With no spool tension the transition from breaking to not was jarring and was almost causing spool stoppages. Even with a bit of spool tension both spools free spool longer than any SV I have with zero spool tension. SV spools are just different animals and the opposite of free spinning.
Thanks.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:09 pm

Love this spool so much, i was able to track down the original spool from the Orochi Cover Hacking 10CHL, and its exactly the same spool but in 34mm. Excellent caster with braid.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:11 am

Is that Zonda spool the same as the one that comes with the Zonda 10R?
SSS wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:09 pm
Love this spool so much, i was able to track down the original spool from the Orochi Cover Hacking 10CHL, and its exactly the same spool but in 34mm. Excellent caster with braid.
I have one of those that I loaded with braid for tossing umbrella rigs, I was not disappointed.