Zillion TW HD ‘22

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion TW HD ‘22

Post by LowRange » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:00 pm

jrk wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:29 pm
Will this be a US release?
Based on what I think I read, it might be a good replacement for my coastal 200.
Capacity wise these are going to be a far cry from the coastal 200. You might be able to find blow out priced on the old Zillion HD. That makes for a nice coastal 200 replacement. You get 1520 size spool options like the awesome Catalina TW or you could just buy a Catalina TW too.

robertjb7771
Angler
Angler

Post by robertjb7771 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:30 am

Have to admit , I'm not feeling this one, Youtuber Florent goes over the spec's in Japanese and besides a small reduction in weight, two more bearings over the regular zillion & drag clicker which is nice , it looks to be a Downgrade on the current zillion HD. It's pretty much a regular zillion with a bigger handle. The current Zillion HD has Mag Sealed bearings , stronger drag and higher line per crank retrieve rate. Also in the looks department I think looks more ornate , more expensive looking ,( I know looks are subjective .....)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:40 am

robertjb7771 wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:30 am
Have to admit , I'm not feeling this one, Youtuber Florent goes over the spec's in Japanese and besides a small reduction in weight, two more bearings over the regular zillion & drag clicker which is nice , it looks to be a Downgrade on the current zillion HD. It's pretty much a regular zillion with a bigger handle. The current Zillion HD has Mag Sealed bearings , stronger drag and higher line per crank retrieve rate. Also in the looks department I think looks more ornate , more expensive looking ,( I know looks are subjective .....)
As an owner of the old HD I can assure you that while it is an awesome reel, its is a Tatula platform and you can tell. It's also a fixed inductor spool and while this is great for big mono and big baits it's the last spool I want to use to bomb a frog which is why mine also makes use of a Catalina TW spool. The new real deal Zillion is the genuine article however it is a 34mm narrow spool reel. I would have expected a 36mm narrow spool version of the current Zillion as a little Zilliom HD and then a wide spool big Zillion HD. We get neither and get a black current Zillion with a 34mm Mag Z Boost spool. Not sure what is HD about that. It doesn't even offer Curado 200k capacity.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:55 am

I’m a fan of the current TW HD. My 7 gear reel is spooled with mono on the factory fixed inductor spool. My 8 gear reel sports a 1520 Ryoga spool and braid and I like it. Guess I’ll have to buy one more of each as back-ups!

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:40 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:00 pm
jrk wrote:
Based on what I think I read, it might be a good replacement for my coastal 200.
Capacity wise these are going to be a far cry from the coastal 200. You might be able to find blow out priced on the old Zillion HD. That makes for a nice coastal 200 replacement. You get 1520 size spool options like the awesome Catalina TW or you could just buy a Catalina TW too.
Thanks for the feedback. I thought I read that this new guy would potentially offer around 200 yards/meters on capacity. If so, that's more than enough for my inshore hunts. Drag looks anemic compared to my 200 Coastal, but I can live with that. What I'm interested in is better casting and more durability. If this answers to these interests, I'm interested. If I've mis-understood, I'll stick with what I have or move on some other direction. But I'll bail all together if not released to US market. I'm not a reel tech, and like the options to send in to D to have rebuilt/maintenance after a hard season in the salt.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:12 pm

jrk wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:40 pm
LowRange wrote:
jrk wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I thought I read that this new guy would potentially offer around 200 yards/meters on capacity. If so, that's more than enough for my inshore hunts. Drag looks anemic compared to my 200 Coastal, but I can live with that. What I'm interested in is better casting and more durability. If this answers to these interests, I'm interested. If I've mis-understood, I'll stick with what I have or move on some other direction. But I'll bail all together if not released to US market. I'm not a reel tech, and like the options to send in to D to have rebuilt/maintenance after a hard season in the salt.
Not sure what you are looking for in a Coastal 200 replacement but there is the Coastal 150 SV which is a Tatula 100 platform with a deep SV spool. The Coastal 200 is basically a Tatula HD/Tatula 200. If you want to upgrade from the Coastal 200 the current Zillion HD is a nice reel and might end up going for cheap as they get cleared out on sale. They're like a nicer Coastal 200 but with a faster spool and more spool options of you want a Magforce Z spool or Air Brake spool like the DIY Long Cast spools.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:11 am

Made in Japan.?.. with brass gears and black not that ugly silver. With Magforce Z spool. I will take it!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:23 am

jrk wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:40 pm
LowRange wrote:
jrk wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I thought I read that this new guy would potentially offer around 200 yards/meters on capacity.
Following up on this its 1.5 PE 200m which is like a 20# braid. It's also rated at 16 lbs mono at 100 yards. Same as the Tatula 100 and many other 34x24 spools ect. I like the idea of a distance tuned G1 Magforce Z spool though. Gonna keep an eye on these as used reels.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:49 pm

Wish they made the regular zillion svtw in this color. This looks a million times better than the new zillion and alphas in that silver color.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:51 pm

What kind of techniques do these distance tuned daiwas lend themselves to?

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:35 pm

New Project T video is up with Seth Feider - https://youtu.be/oo-eWZDJWx4.

I think I'm going to pick one of these up in left hand for flipping.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:14 pm

I've gotta be honest. I know that is just a promotional video but it was pretty underwhelming. Very little new information. Production quality seemed off and there was little footage of him using the reel. He has repeated the same thing 3 or 4 times. If I end up getting the steez ags casting rod I am looking at I may get one of these to pair with it based solely off aesthetics, because I will probably end up replacing the spool and the handle/knobs. Come to think of it at that point I may as well just get a steez.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:08 pm

I’m pretty much just interested in the spool from this reel for my Morethan, at this point.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:57 pm

I've been holding out on purchasing a new zillion until a limited edition comes along. Probably will be a piano black slp version at some point with a stock carbon handle, but I do like this HD....probably because I don't need a large capacity spool .

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:07 pm

fishonsc wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:11 am
Made in Japan.?.. with brass gears and black not that ugly silver. With Magforce Z spool. I will take it!
Up for preorder at Plat. Made in Japan and reasonably priced.