Zillion TW HD ‘22

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion TW HD ‘22

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:15 am

esprit wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:41 pm
What is the difference between SV BOOST (Zillion SV TW G) and MAGFORCE Z (the new 2022 Zillion HD 1000)? They both have a "two step brake system".
Magforce Z uses centrifugal forces to extend the indutor into the magnets. SV uses a twisting ramp to extend the inductor. In general the Magforce Z spools will be faster and freer at the end of the cast than the SV spools. SV spools are well suited for control and light baits and magforce Z spools are more all around spools and even have some distance tune variants. The Boost variants of both replace a single long soft spring with two short ones. A soft one and a stiff one. The two combined act as a dual rate spring. At low spool speeds and soft casting, the inductor will only partially extend and on hard bomb casts, you get full extension of the inductor to control the spool then it steps down to the softer spring and partial extension at lower speeds.
With normal non boost spools of both types hard bomb casts meant higher dial settings (10 out of 20) to prevent blowups and this would make the spools overbrake at he end of the cast, especially the SV spools and the bait would appear to "float" at the end of the cast. This was a common complain of the SV spools with US angler that bomb cast every cast as hard as we can as a normal cast.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:18 am

SSS wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:58 pm
This looks deeper than the slp1010, which is like 10lb-100m? This might be something like 12lb-100m.
Looks much shallower than a Tatula spool yet has the same rated line cap. It looks very similar to the Zillion SV Boost spool in capacity.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=87513&start=15

esprit
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by esprit » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:44 pm

So I received the new '22 Zillion HD (came in 3 days from Japan!) and yeah I do see what you guys mean when it comes to the difference between SV BOOST (Zillion SV TW G) and MAGFORCE Z ('22 Zillion HD). The SV BOOST has a "twist" in the inductor and when you pull on the inductor the "2nd step" is a harder pull. The Magforce Z has little to no inductor "twist" and is a bit easier to pull on the inductor.

Overall though, I'm surprised at how not Heavy Duty this new '22 Zillion HD is. It's very similar to the Zillion SV TW G in build. I was expecting a bit heftier. I guess that's why Daiwa didn't release the HD to the US market, because the US version of the Zillion G is kinda Heavy Duty due to the brass as opposed to aluminum in the JDM version.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:56 pm

Does anybody have experience with the 22 Zillion HD and the 2018 HD?

Considering either for a high speed reel for 1/2 oz - 1oz chatterbaits. Smoothness and longevity are key.

Thanks for any feedback!

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:59 pm

I only have experience with the 18 HD (and the silver zillion sv).
I find the 18 smooth but not steez smooth. Seems very sturdy.
I have been using the reel for atlantic salmon fishing with large 3/5 to 1 oz condom spinners.

The 18 HD will be great for chatterbaits especially when working the upper half of the 1/2 to 1 oz window. If you are mostly in the 1/2 oz area then maybe go with a 22 Zillion HD, which may be a bit more smooth (dunno).

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:29 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:59 pm
I have been using the reel for atlantic salmon fishing with large 3/5 to 1 oz condom spinners.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:44 am

reason162 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:29 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
Mepps condom spinners I would guess lol

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:44 pm

rando wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:44 am
reason162 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:29 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
Mepps condom spinners I would guess lol
Haha, yes, "flying condom" or just flying C. In Denmark just called condom spinner.
Mepps make them as do many other brands by now - "fcspinner" being one of the better danish brands, UK-based spintec also good. Savage gear make a "flying eel" and the name may go down better :lol:
Also see
https://scottishsalmonfishingsurgery.co ... -loath-it/
I link to that page for bonus info on 110s rigged Salmon-style.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:03 am

Dang I thought I was going to get a new swimbait reel this year but it looks like this isn't going to be suited for my interests I guess I'll have to stick with the 18s and the Ryoga platforms.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:02 pm

Just spent another hour with the reel. It’s a good’un.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:06 am

First LMB on the HD ‘22, small keeper sized, hooked in tail! Have no idea how that happened.
Maybe it’s a good sign or something. Hopefully!

Feelsgoodman84
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Feelsgoodman84 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:27 pm

I've been trying to track one of these down, any good prices on these anywhere?

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:05 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:18 am
Basically a Zillion HLC with a funny handle for $450. I'm guessing the spool alone will go for $140 considering what they want for the SV boost spool. Definitely going to get one of these once the price drops. Hopefully this isn't some year or two release and they hang around for a while and that street nears $300. The only 34mm low pros I have are old Steez and SS SV. They dont play nice with quite a few 34mm spools due to the weak magnets. Really could use another 34mm workhorse low pro. Used Steez TW are tempting but I always passed due to the aluminum gears and no brass drop ins.
The OG zillion main gear will fit in Steez A and Steez SV TW but still have to use the Steez pinion, Have done it to a Steez A and Steez SV TW and both are smooth reels complete with OG zillion multi stack drag, If you want the multi stack zillion drag in Steez A the drive shaft will need changing due to the machining at base of the shaft wont accommodate the zillion drag stack . The new Zillion G brass gears from the made in Thailand models are a direct swap for the Steez gears.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:42 am

I didn't know the new Zillion TW HD had a 34mm spool... I would have considered one over the regular Zillion for color alone (if not for the lack of an SV spool). Everyone always talks about the old Zillion HD but it is pretty much just a Zillion TWS. I think the HD has an aluminum handle side plate and the TWS has Zaion. I use both of my TWS for heavier purposes and they serve well. Use one (7.3) for deep cranks/chatterbaits and it feels the same as it always has. It isn't as smooth as the newest iterations, but I think it shares gears with the Zillion SVTW. The TWS models included a levelwind bearing for 10 total and I assume the 2018 HD does too.
It looks like this is the case for the new 2022 Zillion HD also. It is essentially a new Zillion with a different spool, handle, and paint job. There are probably a few small other differences I am missing, I think Japan Tackle said it has a brass main gear and copper alloy pinion. I understand using the USDM version's brass, but not sure what that copper alloy is about. The description for the regular Zillion doesn't mention this.
I just think it depends on how heavy one is throwing. I eventually plan on getting a true HD reel, just not sure what I need. I would like a 8' range rod that can handle all A-rigs and some fair sized glide/swimbaits. Probably run 25lb FC but have no idea if an HD Zillion/Zillion TWS/Zillion HD 22 would work or do I need a 300 size Lexa TW/Tatula/Curado?
Sometimes I wish they would put a lure rating on reels as they do rods.

Tejota Bettio
Angler
Angler

Post by Tejota Bettio » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:15 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:05 pm
LowRange wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:18 am
Basically a Zillion HLC with a funny handle for $450. I'm guessing the spool alone will go for $140 considering what they want for the SV boost spool. Definitely going to get one of these once the price drops. Hopefully this isn't some year or two release and they hang around for a while and that street nears $300. The only 34mm low pros I have are old Steez and SS SV. They dont play nice with quite a few 34mm spools due to the weak magnets. Really could use another 34mm workhorse low pro. Used Steez TW are tempting but I always passed due to the aluminum gears and no brass drop ins.
The OG zillion main gear will fit in Steez A and Steez SV TW but still have to use the Steez pinion, Have done it to a Steez A and Steez SV TW and both are smooth reels complete with OG zillion multi stack drag, If you want the multi stack zillion drag in Steez A the drive shaft will need changing due to the machining at base of the shaft wont accommodate the zillion drag stack . The new Zillion G brass gears from the made in Thailand models are a direct swap for the Steez gears.
Just changed the gears in Steez A HLC from aluminum to brass. Used the gears and pinion from Zillion G. Alternatively, you can also use the gears from the new ALPHAS SV TW 800 (same gear and pinion from Zillion G). This thing is now a versatile monster that will chuck all sorts of baits if you add a Daiwa Zillion PE special spool in the mix.