Zillion TW HD ‘22

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zillion TW HD ‘22

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:30 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:42 pm
The reel is now on digitaka (45.000 jpy) and amazon in Japan and on more sites.

I am divided on this one. I have two of the latest Morethans and two recent Zillions… I normally install ZPI/KTF spools and therefore not sure if anything is gained by getting the new Zillion (although pretty 😊)
I saw that they were listed on Amazon Japan and I couldn't resist. The XHL was out of stock, but still able to be ordered.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:23 pm

Dalleinf wrote:

I am divided on this one. I have two of the latest Morethans and two recent Zillions… I normally install ZPI/KTF spools and therefore not sure if anything is gained by getting the new Zillion (although pretty 😊)
Have you used the zpi m or ktf neo spool in the zillion 1000? If you've used both which did you like better?

Thanks

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:27 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:23 pm
Dalleinf wrote:

Have you used the zpi m or ktf neo spool in the zillion 1000? If you've used both which did you like better?

Thanks
Yes please

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:20 pm

Just had to check what I have in my HL and XHL Zillions 😀
Both have a ZPI NRC001-M at the moment and I can therefore say that all I have used in them has been the ZPI and some DIY.
In the Zillions I much prefer ZPI over DIY including Roro. I will try KTF in 2022.

I purchased many ZPI spools especially the "M". Just before they became unavailable, Amazon in Japan often had good prices.
Since 2019 I have purchased 5 KTF finesse spools and one deep for the 34 mm platform.
All my 34mm ZPI and KTF spools are either gold or purple with one red exception for my Ryoga 1016.
I rotate the spools back and forth in different reels and often forget exactly what I am using atm.

The ZPIs have been great in Steez new and old, new Zillion, Morethan and SV103.

Where I do remember having used both ZPI and KTF:
Steez TW SV (most recent platform) where I enjoyed ZPI and KTF equally. Right now I have a KTF installed.
Monoblock Grigio Stone where I prefer the KTF for ease of casting. As such the only reel where I remember having any preference.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:42 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:20 pm
Both have a ZPI NRC001-M at the moment and I can therefore say that all I have used in them has been the ZPI and some DIY.
In the Zillions I much prefer ZPI over DIY including Roro. I will try KTF in 2022.

I purchased many ZPI spools especially the "M". Just before they became unavailable, Amazon in Japan often had good prices.
Since 2019 I have purchased 5 KTF finesse spools and one deep for the 34 mm platform.
All my 34mm ZPI and KTF spools are either gold or purple with one red exception for my Ryoga 1016.
I rotate the spools back and forth in different reels and often forget exactly what I am using atm.

Steez TW SV (most recent platform) where I enjoyed ZPI and KTF equally. Right now I have a KTF installed.
Monoblock Grigio Stone where I prefer the KTF for ease of casting. As such the only reel where I remember having any preference.
Thank you.

I have a ktf neo in my 21 zillion 1000 and I like it very much. I just purchased a 22 zillion hd and I have an extra zpi m spool so maybe I'll try that out. I was thinking about buying another ktf neo spool for the 22 zillion but I don't think it holds much more line than the zpi m and since I already have the zpi I should probably stick to that if it performs well.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:16 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:42 pm
Dalleinf wrote:

Thank you.

I have a ktf neo in my 21 zillion 1000 and I like it very much. I just purchased a 22 zillion hd and I have an extra zpi m spool so maybe I'll try that out. I was thinking about buying another ktf neo spool for the 22 zillion but I don't think it holds much more line than the zpi m and since I already have the zpi I should probably stick to that if it performs well.
Are you guys mainly using these for light baits? I have a ZPI PG spool that I sold off a few years ago. I used it in both a Steez A and SV TW and I preferred the Zillion SV spool in both. When I'm using a baitcaster, it's usually for power fishing and usually 1/4 oz plus plastic. The one exception would be small poppers that I use on a 842c and Steez CT.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:46 am

I do not have LMB near me - unfortunately.

My ZPI and KTF spools are mostly used for sea run brown trout and 1/8 to 1/4 oz lures.

I use the ZPI NRC001-PG and stock spools for salmon in streams with lures weighing 1/4 to 3/4 oz.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:38 pm

Dalleinf wrote:

Can you provide a general idea of how the Zpi Nrc001-m spool performs in relation to the stock boost spool? I understand you're mostly throwing lighter baits, so I can see how it would be an improvement. I didn't care for the new Zillion in stock form for anything a quarter ounce and below. I also felt that the stock spool was a bit fickle, and was one brake dial click away from potential disaster. Does the Zpi spool offer better consistency, and allow a greater freedom of movement with the brakes? What reels are you using the boost spool in now?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:17 pm

I still have not used the boost spool. I weighed it and saw no reason to use it. I have used other 1012-1016 G1 SV spools (RCS/SLP, Steez). Compared to those spools, ZPIs give me easier startup with light lures, more effortless casting, almost zero backlash with 3.5-7.0 gram lures, better perfomance in wind, better handling of FC line also in wind, better short range presentation of light lures, better distance with light lures. More “set and forget” compared to the stock/Daiwa spools. I expect the same vs boost.

If I had LMB around, I would use plenty of 1/4 to 1 oz lures where the 34mm Daiwa spools do great.
Best fishing near me is large seatrout akin to steelhead found in often very small streams. I need both good short-range presentation and the option for long upstream casts to shy fish with <1/4 oz lures (3.5-7.0g). If a stock spool does not give me that, it collects dust…

Since I found the ZPI NRC001-M spool, the 34 mm Daiwa reels have been my go-to reels among a shitload of reels incl BFS/AIR reels.
And Daiwa has become my favourite reel brand (although hinged upon aftermarket spool options).

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:04 pm

World record chasing
Attachments
wr.jpeg
wr.jpeg (107.21 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:06 pm

I just noticed that the XH is an 8.1 not the 8.5 of the normal zillion so it appears the gears are different.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:14 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:06 pm
I just noticed that the XH is an 8.1 not the 8.5 of the normal zillion so it appears the gears are different.
Sounds like they used the Alphas SV TW gears.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:13 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:04 pm
World record chasing
Such a beautiful combo Jorrick!

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:30 am

ss30378 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:06 pm
It’s possible the ratio difference could be related to the size of spool and the handle length.
8.1 with 34mm and 100mm handle
8.5 with 31mm and 80mm handle

not a significant difference but just enough

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:10 am

Kimbro1014 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:13 am
goldrod wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:04 pm
World record chasing
Such a beautiful combo Jorrick!
Thanks to You man.
Thank You very much
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible