Zillion TW HD ‘22

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Zillion TW HD ‘22

Post by fishonsc » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:07 am

Sore Thumb wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:07 pm
fishonsc wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:11 am
Made in Japan.?.. with brass gears and black not that ugly silver. With Magforce Z spool. I will take it!
Up for preorder at Plat. Made in Japan and reasonably priced.
Thanks. Just pre-ordered one. About the same price as a Daiwa steez A.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:34 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:14 pm
I've gotta be honest. I know that is just a promotional video but it was pretty underwhelming. Very little new information. Production quality seemed off and there was little footage of him using the reel. He has repeated the same thing 3 or 4 times. If I end up getting the steez ags casting rod I am looking at I may get one of these to pair with it based solely off aesthetics, because I will probably end up replacing the spool and the handle/knobs. Come to think of it at that point I may as well just get a steez.
My thoughts as well on the japanese video. They want to talk about the Magforce Z boost then just show nothing but footage of short lob casts. I don't know if they were trying to show that the spool can tame heavy baits with lots of control or what they were going for. They do make one long bomb with the wind that at shows it's not a choked off braking profile followed by another into the wind with a low trajectory to show it handles wind well enough although that low cast wasn't exactly confidence inspiring.

The US video had some guy with a mullet and moustache call the set plate a side plate and state that it "has aluminum side plates" which will end well I'm sure. Closed that video when I saw that. I'm sure nothing thought provoking was in that video anyways.

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kimbro1014 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:46 am

If I can find it cheap enough here in Okinawa I’ll certainly grab one but outside of the color I don’t see a huge gain over the standard JDM or USDM Zillion.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:09 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:34 am
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:14 pm
I've gotta be honest. I know that is just a promotional video but it was pretty underwhelming. Very little new information. Production quality seemed off and there was little footage of him using the reel. He has repeated the same thing 3 or 4 times. If I end up getting the steez ags casting rod I am looking at I may get one of these to pair with it based solely off aesthetics, because I will probably end up replacing the spool and the handle/knobs. Come to think of it at that point I may as well just get a steez.
My thoughts as well on the japanese video. They want to talk about the Magforce Z boost then just show nothing but footage of short lob casts. I don't know if they were trying to show that the spool can tame heavy baits with lots of control or what they were going for. They do make one long bomb with the wind that at shows it's not a choked off braking profile followed by another into the wind with a low trajectory to show it handles wind well enough although that low cast wasn't exactly confidence inspiring.

The US video had some guy with a mullet and moustache call the set plate a side plate and state that it "has aluminum side plates" which will end well I'm sure. Closed that video when I saw that. I'm sure nothing thought provoking was in that video anyways.

That’s last year’s BASS angler of the year. Daiwa is just glad to have Seth endorse the reel.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:43 am

Kimbro1014 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:46 am
If I can find it cheap enough here in Okinawa I’ll certainly grab one but outside of the color I don’t see a huge gain over the standard JDM or USDM Zillion.
I agree,the biggest advantage over the zillion is aesthetics,although I am slightly curious about the magz boost spool. I know its the same spool as the steez a HLC but this reel looks significantly better IMO.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:24 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:43 am
Kimbro1014 wrote:
I agree,the biggest advantage over the zillion is aesthetics,although I am slightly curious about the magz boost spool. I know its the same spool as the steez a HLC but this reel looks significantly better IMO.
The Steez A HLC is 36mm and this guy is 34mm per Daiwa. Not sure how they differ in braking but I suspect the HD is not as distance tuned as the HLC. In the Japanese video they show a lot of short casting and even one of a guy casting into the wind.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:04 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:24 am
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Kimbro1014 wrote:
The Steez A HLC is 36mm and this guy is 34mm per Daiwa. Not sure how they differ in braking but I suspect the HD is not as distance tuned as the HLC. In the Japanese video they show a lot of short casting and even one of a guy casting into the wind.
It seems like a decent price for the reel. I would guess it will be around $350 once it gets in stock at the major Japanese websites.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:10 am

HobeyBaker wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:04 am
LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:24 am
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Kimbro1014 wrote:
It seems like a decent price for the reel. I would guess it will be around $350 once it gets in stock at the major Japanese websites.
If I get a new Zillion it's the one I get unless Steez SV TW used peices fall off a cliff. I havent bought a brand new fishing reel over $200 since 2017. Used market has been too good.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:39 am

I really am torn between waiting for this to come out and just settling for a JDM met b to pair with the target sniper I plan on getting. Anxious to see how this reel performs. Good point on the steez A HLC being a 36mm mag z boost. I forgot about the different in spool size.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:57 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:39 am
I really am torn between waiting for this to come out and just settling for a JDM met b to pair with the target sniper I plan on getting. Anxious to see how this reel performs. Good point on the steez A HLC being a 36mm mag z boost. I forgot about the different in spool size.
Well obviously you get both :lol:

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:15 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:57 pm
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:39 am
Well obviously you get both :lol:
My season is pretty much over here and I have to satisfy my fishing urges somehow right?

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:37 pm

“ The US video had some guy with a mullet and moustache “

Funniest thing I’ve read on here in a good while. I would however rank Seth quite a bit higher than “some guy”.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:44 pm

TravisNY wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:37 pm
“ The US video had some guy with a mullet and moustache “

Funniest thing I’ve read on here in a good while. I would however rank Seth quite a bit higher than “some guy”.
"Why yes I don't follow bass fishing nascar how could you tell?"
Attachments
gigachad (1).jpg
gigachad (1).jpg (18.85 KiB) Viewed 3304 times

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:15 am

Interesting this reel was ahead of the air stream custom reel on their release schedule but no one has them in stock despite the fact that the air stream custom seems to be rolling out. Air stream custom made in thailand, so i am hoping this is made in japan

robertjb7771
Angler
Angler

Post by robertjb7771 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:13 pm

(Re: Zillion TW HD ‘22
by Sore Thumb » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:07 am

fishonsc wrote: ↑Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:11 am
Made in Japan.?.. with brass gears and black not that ugly silver. With Magforce Z spool. I will take it!
Up for preorder at Plat. Made in Japan and reasonably priced. )

Good Point I've been looking as well, usually digitaka will have it listed on their site before its in stock and i haven't even seen that yet.