34 mm daiwa long casting spool

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

34 mm daiwa long casting spool

Post by Freddie » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:15 pm

The best Daiwa(or compatible) 34mm spool for casting 1/4-1/2 oz baits the farthest…go…

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 34 mm daiwa long casting spool

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:27 pm

ZPI PG or BE or Type R+. It will be hard to find one that excels with the 1/4 oz while excelling at 1/2 oz and vice verse. Those are really two different spools when talking max casting performances

It would also be worth noting in what reel? In certain reels you will find performance differences with the use of different spools.
Last edited by Fishing4Fun on Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:32 pm

The 34mm Ray's Studio long cast spools are excellent with 1/4 to 3/4 oz lures. One disclaimer, though. I've only used those spools with limp 8-carrier braids.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:50 pm

Completely depends on the reel you plan to use it in. Some spools play better in certain reels than others. Magnetic polarity, inductor size, etc. There is no one magic 34mm spool that can plug and play with every platform and variant.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:51 am

Freddie wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:15 pm
The best Daiwa(or compatible) 34mm spool for casting 1/4-1/2 oz baits the farthest…go…
Because of 1/4 oz: Daiwa SLP Works, RCSB 1012 G1 Magforce-Z spools. Shallow spool for light lure and Magforce-Z for distance. If spool still feels restricted, then change Magforce-HLC spring.

Japantackle:
Flat bottom, light-weight 13g spool to add casting distance by the help of Magforce-Z brake system especially for light weight rigs 7g-14g 1/4-1/2oz.

They have also HLC springs.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:46 am

Not sure. The 1010 is a great spool but not sure how well it will handle 1/4 oz being a heavier spool and is capacity challenged. The SV Boost new Zillion spool looks promising. I really like my Ray's inductor Alphas SV spool for 1/4 to 3/8 oz but like the 1010 is is capacity challenged. A 1/2 oz trap would easily spool it of 10# flouro. I honestly dont throw a true 1/4 oz on the same rod I throw a true 1/2 oz very often. The only one I do is my Zodias 72M and Tatula Type R with Ray's HLC and that is only out of necessity when kayak fishing and even they that rod struggles with 1/4 oz bait. Also if I'm throwing a 1/4 oz bait it gets 20# braid, 8# mono or 10# fouro. 1/2 oz baits get 30-40 # braid and 12-14 # flouro.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:24 am

Daiwa is coming out with a new Zillion that has Magforce Z Boost. Not sure if it will be HLC level but, could bridge that 1/4oz-3/4oz max distance gap.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:46 am

I love these kinds of threads. Here I what I got for bombing 1/4 oz and 1/2 oz. Sorry but most of these aren't 34mm Daiwa compatible

1/4 oz

Shimano Engetsu. This thing bombs 1/4 oz compact baits like weightless flukes and 4 inch senkos on 20# braid. It is very capacity challenged and can cast off 90% of the 20# braid with a weightless fluke. Sucks into any wind. Sucks with flouro and is a scorcher of a spool once the heavy shallow thing gets going.

Alphas SV spool with Ray's inductor and spring. Not sure if the rays spring is any different but this guy is in the ballpark of the Engetsu in pure distance but tames flouro, tames wind and offers precision casting when needed including some skipping. I imagine the same process done to a 34mm 105 SV spool would have similar results.

1/2 oz

Zonda spool with "Type R spring" that I am pretty sure is actually an HLC spring because it's way stiffer than my TDZ Type R+ spring and identical from what I can tell from my Zillion HLC spring. I have this thing full to the brim with 30# X9 and was casting like 85+% of it off with a 1/2 trap with a old Powel Diesel MH glass with 3 inches of the tip missing. I can only imagine what this thing can do on a good stick.

TD Zillion HLC spool. Bone stock. Makes frogs and line dissapear into another dimension. I hope you like seeing the spool arbor after every cast. It has neat dimples in it.

1/4 and 1/2 oz

Old tatula/150 Ray's Long Cast. Basically a stiff spring heavier construction SV spool for the old tats. Great distance tuned all arounder that is still very versatile. I wish the 34mm short shaft Ray's HLC also came in this variant. I would buy 3 over night.

Tatula Elite spool. This one is a gem and a surprise. It's a thin construction Tatula 100/CT spool with what seems like an imperceptibly stiffer spring maybe on it. It doesn't seem impressive in hand but once in a reel it offers long effortless casts, light weight bait performance and is actually a great skipping spool. Just an awesome all around spool. I am seriously considering mounting this spool to a short shaft for use in 34mm super free reels. Awesome spool but doesn't win any pure distance bombing contests with heavier baits but still gets really really good distance. It blew my mind with the easy and distance with 1/4 oz. It could be freer at the end of the cast for pure distance with compact 1/2+ baits but it offers SV like skipping so it's an excellent trade off. SV skipping and light bait performance but with far better heavier bait performance. $45 spool too. Fits in a friggin $80 Fuego CT. Bonkers.

Ray's HLC and Amo fixed inductors. I don't consider any of the fixed inductor spools true long bombers. Hard forceful snapping casts to dump a ton of speed into the spool have a very strong tendency to make these over brake at the end of the cast when set up with enough dial to take the hard casting. They are much better with low dial and smooth casting. For that smooth casting technique they are easily the furthest casting spools I have. For the hard bomb casting they are actually pretty bad. Still at the end of the day, a hard bomb cast with a spool that can take it always beats out a smooth cast for raw distance. High mag dial with hard casting with these fixed inductor and an 11/16 oz frog barely beats out low mag dial and smooth casting a 3/8 oz 5" senko. You just cannot bomb these types of spools and they lose out to rather ordinary Magforce Z spools with a frog. Different tools for different jobs. They really really excell with smooth casts. If you're a lefty reel user that palms while casting then these fixed inductor ZPI, Amo and Ray's are for you. If you are a righty looking for a spool to shoot baits fast and far with a flat trajectory tossing baits to shore with easy smooth casts so your Senko doesn't fly off then these are for you. Old Steez/SS SV reels do not have strong enough magnets to tame these unfortunately.

TDZ Type R+ spool. I don't have a ton on time on mine but I like the distance and control I get with 1/4 to 1/2 oz and 30# braid.

1016 spool. These are supposed to be great with this bait range. Mine was super wild and impossible to use until I put it in a LIN10 and it was able to tame it at 75% of the mag dial. It will cast down to the arbor of 50# braid with an 11/16 oz frog and cast off 80+% of the 30# braid with a 3/4 oz Dark Sleeper. Really happy with it now.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:20 am

Has anyone compared the SV Boost spool with a 1016 G1 Magforce Z spool(Steez A spool, correct?) in the bombing department? I’m starting to dip into the cesspool of Daiwa spools and it’s rather overwhelming. I’m really in search of the best setup for bombing 3/8+trailer jigs…I’m strongly considering the Metanium as I’m finding it to be a bombing BEAST. I also have the Zillion but I haven’t put much time into it yet. However, it seems similar to most other magnetic brakes reels that I’ve used and it doesn’t seem to like hard bombing. Again, I haven’t put a lot of time on it yet but those are some initial observations. Also, I’ve never used a Magforce Z or HLC spool before so I don’t know how they compare. But I think it will be rather difficult for even these to surpass the SVS Infinity centrifugal brakes…

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:27 am

As of now I’m considering…

1) 2020 Metanium 8.1
2) 2019 Morethan PE 8.6(significantly more expensive)
3) drop a 1016 Magforce Z spool in my 6.3 Zillion and be ok with the slower gear ratio

What would you do? For the money…it’s pretty hard not to do the Metanium. For the record, I like to run 40# braid to 17# Fluoro leader for jigs…

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:29 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:24 am
Daiwa is coming out with a new Zillion that has Magforce Z Boost. Not sure if it will be HLC level but, could bridge that 1/4oz-3/4oz max distance gap.
Interesting!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:32 am

Freddie wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:27 am

1) 2020 Metanium 8.1
3) drop a 1016 Magforce Z spool in my 6.3 Zillion and be ok with the slower gear ratio

What would you do? For the money…it’s pretty hard not to do the Metanium. For the record, I like to run 40# braid to 17# Fluoro leader for jigs…
I wonder if a Ray's inductor swap would help with the Zillion? This the Zillion that looks like the Tatula CT correct? The one before the current gen.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:35 am

Acc. to Japantackle:
Daiwa SLPW RCSB SV Boost 1000 G1 spool weights 11 g.
Daiwa SLP Works, RCSB 1012 G1 weights 13 g.
Loaded with line those should be weight approximately same, because in RCSB 1012 is smaller in volume of line.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:40 am

LowRange wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:32 am
Freddie wrote:

1) 2020 Metanium 8.1

I wonder if a Ray's inductor swap would help with the Zillion? This the Zillion that looks like the Tatula CT correct? The one before the current gen.
What makes the Rays inductor better? Where can you get them? Has anyone tried this yet? Sorry, a lot of questions from the newbie here…

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:41 am

LowRange wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:32 am
Freddie wrote:

1) 2020 Metanium 8.1

No, I have the new Zillion…