Spool weight ranking list

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Spool weight ranking list

Post by mark poulson » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:21 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:56 pm
mark poulson wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:53 pm
Both the Quantum EXO 100 and the original Quantum Smoke Burner had spool that were less than 12 grams.
But it is a Quantum...
I have the same dozen reels that I bought when they first came out, and they are all still working fine.
Cal and Zander reviewed them and gave them both a two thumbs up:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantumexopt.html
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantumsmoke.html
I think that the reel companies used to make their best versions of a new reel first, and then try to cheapen them for more profit after they've shown they were successful. Another example of this is the 13Fishing Concept Z reel. It's still the best reel they every made.

LuS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LuS » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:25 am

spool weight is a (good) proxy for the spool’s resistance to change in rate of rotation (rotational inertia? Some physics geek I am…). We’ve all seen the difference a good set of bearings makes, too. I presume the manufacturers are measuring this… has anyone seen how? Are there any numbers beyond spool mass and casting tests that people have seen?

Am curious about how the companies themselves are testing their products…
Luca :)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:40 am

There is ideal mass of spool, but it's rare that spool is too light, especially in everyday fishing. In a heavy series casting sport and in beachcasting spool can be too light.

But basically ideal mass/inertia of spool is that it easily starts just in that time when rod tip straightens...

But if lure has great drag vs. weight, like many lures has, ideal spool mass is lighter than described above, because light spool is easier to handle by thumb or casting brake.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:30 am

I'm just perplexed by Daiwa spools sometimes. Well, most of the time these days.

I have the spool out of my LIN10 Black Jungle and it has the 2nd stiffest MagZ spring I know of. There the HLC MagZ super stiff springs, the regular soft normal MagZ springs found on Tatulas, 1016 spools, JDream, 1010 ect and then there are ones that are in between. The Catalina TW, MB LIN10 and T3 MX/Ballistic are in between. I love my Catalina TW spool and assumed the LIN10 would be a bomber since they have the same spring. Nope. Very hard to backlash and offers loads of control. Great for tossing big baits I am sure but a monster frog bomber it is not. Even put it in an SS SV reel with the weak sause magnets. Still has mega stopping power and is really hard to backlash. Yet my wild impossible to tame 1016 which has the same inductor thickness and depth with a SOFTER spring on a LIGHTER spool casts bonkers in the LIN10 and insta spools of braid with a frog.

Then we have the Tatula Elite spool. In hand it seems like a joke. It is just a thin construction black Tatula spool. Inductors are identical and springs seem identical. Its like they just made a Tatula spool from thinner material like they did with the old Type R Tatula spools. For $45 I wasn't complaining. I put the thing in a Fuego with 40# braid and start fishing a 1/4 oz baby frog and am casting it as far as I cast my big frogs on heavier rods with the stock Fuego spool. I'm not even trying to bomb it and the just shoots off and goes a long ways. Just an easy, effortlessly long casting spool that really does well with 1/4 oz. The damn thing skips with SV ease too. What the heck.

Then we have the T3 MX/Ballistic spools. These are low end spools but look impressive to the trained eye assuming you can trust your eyes when looking at daiwa spools which I am no longer certain of after this. It looks like a real long bomber. Heavy. Stiff spring just below the HLC in stiffness with a thin inductor. Its heavy and has a stiff spring like the LIN10 spools but has half the inductor thickness with the same length. These look like bombers. Gotta test out the two I have. They look like weird poorly built Chinese copies of Daiwa spools. Very low quality. No anodized components. Grainy appeareance in the aluminum in the spool body and inductor.

Then we have the 1010 spools. Shallow heavy MagZ spools with thick inductors and soft springs. Same inductor thickness and depth as my LIN10 spool but with a softer spring. Obviously these should be slow contolled spools. Nope. They're fast as hell in SS SVs and In the LIN10. Some sort of weird shallow long bomber.

I dont know. Just buy random spools, throw them into random reels and see what works. You can't make sense of the spools.

LuS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LuS » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:53 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:30 am
I'm just perplexed by Daiwa spools sometimes. Well, most of the time these days.

I have the spool out of my LIN10 Black Jungle and it has the 2nd stiffest MagZ spring I know of. There the HLC MagZ super stiff springs, the regular soft normal MagZ springs found on Tatulas, 1016 spools, JDream, 1010 ect and then there are ones that are in between. The Catalina TW, MB LIN10 and T3 MX/Ballistic are in between. I love my Catalina TW spool and assumed the LIN10 would be a bomber since they have the same spring. Nope. Very hard to backlash and offers loads of control. Great for tossing big baits I am sure but a monster frog bomber it is not. Even put it in an SS SV reel with the weak sause magnets. Still has mega stopping power and is really hard to backlash. Yet my wild impossible to tame 1016 which has the same inductor thickness and depth with a SOFTER spring on a LIGHTER spool casts bonkers in the LIN10 and insta spools of braid with a frog.

Then we have the Tatula Elite spool. In hand it seems like a joke. It is just a thin construction black Tatula spool. Inductors are identical and springs seem identical. Its like they just made a Tatula spool from thinner material like they did with the old Type R Tatula spools. For $45 I wasn't complaining. I put the thing in a Fuego with 40# braid and start fishing a 1/4 oz baby frog and am casting it as far as I cast my big frogs on heavier rods with the stock Fuego spool. I'm not even trying to bomb it and the just shoots off and goes a long ways. Just an easy, effortlessly long casting spool that really does well with 1/4 oz. The damn thing skips with SV ease too. What the heck.

Then we have the T3 MX/Ballistic spools. These are low end spools but look impressive to the trained eye assuming you can trust your eyes when looking at daiwa spools which I am no longer certain of after this. It looks like a real long bomber. Heavy. Stiff spring just below the HLC in stiffness with a thin inductor. Its heavy and has a stiff spring like the LIN10 spools but has half the inductor thickness with the same length. These look like bombers. Gotta test out the two I have. They look like weird poorly built Chinese copies of Daiwa spools. Very low quality. No anodized components. Grainy appeareance in the aluminum in the spool body and inductor.

Then we have the 1010 spools. Shallow heavy MagZ spools with thick inductors and soft springs. Same inductor thickness and depth as my LIN10 spool but with a softer spring. Obviously these should be slow contolled spools. Nope. They're fast as hell in SS SVs and In the LIN10. Some sort of weird shallow long bomber.

I dont know. Just buy random spools, throw them into random reels and see what works. You can't make sense of the spools.
I feel like the why of the above would explain a lot about how reels work during a cast, and I hope someone here has the technical knowledge to speak to it.
I would hazard a guess that each platform you’ve mentioned is just different enough in key areas (bearings, tolerances, braking power and profile, wear, and probably more I don’t understand) that the same spool design could behave differently across the reels, but that explains nothing on its own, just highlights some unknowns. As such, I’m really interested in hearing from anyone details on why you’ve seen the above…

LuS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LuS » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:32 pm

Thinking about this - has anyone tried making a list of spool weights fully loaded (or at least appropriately loaded) with line? Understanding full well the choice between braid, mono, fluoro and anything else would probably have interesting impacts on it with their varying densities…